Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Going for 1,000 mile tank

31365 172
As some of you may know, I have had several 900+ mile tanks over the last few months. I am flirting with the 1000 mile tank and figured I would start logging my stats.

I will add more details as to tricks and techniques as I have time.

I have 18 gallons of useable fuel onboard, so 55.6 mpg average will be required. (I will not entertain fuel capacity arguments)

Currently I can maintain 56+ mpg for 700+ miles on my weekly commute. The weekend errands have been what has kept me from the 1000 mile tank. I started this week with a 230 mile head start as I filled up in Ohio on the way back from Lordstown.

Speedometer Vehicle Car Auto part Gauge
Speedometer Vehicle Auto part Car Gauge

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Go for it.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Hope you can do it, it sure looks like it's possible.

Has anyone ever got to over 1000 before?
Not to my knowledge. Definitely none reported here.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Brad,

Can you safely slow down by 5 MPH on your commute? This can make a huge difference in fuel economy.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
No asterisk for slowing down. The fastest I drove on my 814 mile tank was 60mph. Just don't be a road hazard.

Also, slowing down too much will trigger downshifting to maintain speed. My ECO 6th gear lower limit is about 50mph.

For tire pressure just don't inflate past the max pressure on the sidewalk, measured cold in mid-afternoon; again for safety.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
One other thought - weight isn't as big an issue as the EPA thinks. My car was heavier than the published curb weight by about 35 lbs when I started my 800 mile run.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
It's all good. I had a vision you removed all the seats but the driver seat. :uhh:
Please don't give GM any more ideas for de-contenting the car. ;)

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
At these range attempts it's not the cost savings but the challenge.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Were you ever able to get an 80 mile tank out of your Eco MT?
I hit 80 miles every tank. For 800, the link is in my signature. I ended up at 813.9 miles.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Do you fill your fuel tank to brim or just stop near the click on the ECO with the reduction in fuel capacity with ECO tank. I have to say that was a feature of the ECO setup that I really didn't like so much. Unless I filled to brim it never seemed to feel like I was putting the same amount of gasoline in.
I started with 16.0 to 16.1 gallons in my tank and averaged over 50 MPG the entire tank. I don't have the modified fuel pump. My normal fill is to the first dollar after first click off, which does give me some really strange tank to tank MPG numbers but it averages out over time. Interesting thing is that the station I did this at I can no longer trickle fill. It appears they have replaced the underground pumps. Here's the full thread: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/22778-800-mile-eco-mt-tank-range.html.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Be careful - the fuel gauge drops like a rock at the end. If you run out of fuel we do have a badge you can add to your signature block.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Well done. Gets a little nerve racking near the end.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
spaycase - read the first post and then the next page or so after my final pictures in my thread and you'll see what generated these apparent discrepancies. It boils down to me taking advantage of the artificial tank shutoff in the ECO MT at the start of my tank.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
98% of my 180 mile round trip daily commute is highway/interstate. The 4 miles that aren't highway miles are country roads back to my house with only two stop signs.

The route is very hilly. There aren't many big hills, but there is very little, if any flat sections. So much in fact, that I have thought about driving with an inclinometer to measure the time at 0° and get an accurate answer to how little flat roads there are.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
I bet DFCO is triggering on those downslopes. It takes very little slope to put these cars into DFCO.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Brad, I updated my records to show the 1,007 miles. Your previous best was 1,001 miles.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
These guys with deletes doing 1000/tank, what kind of speeds are they running to get those results?
BradHerr is running stock. In fact, most, if not all of us posting with the Gold HyperCruzer badges are running basically stock engines - maybe non-OEM spark plugs and an air filter change, but other than that the drivetrain is stock. Some of the Silver HyperCruzers are running with aftermarket performance tunes. Bottom line is GM was very, very conservative with the Cruze's fuel economy numbers in the US. For Canada we use the US numbers because it's the same car, drive train, and transmission.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.