Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
41 - 60 of 173 Posts

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
No asterisk for slowing down. The fastest I drove on my 814 mile tank was 60mph. Just don't be a road hazard.

Also, slowing down too much will trigger downshifting to maintain speed. My ECO 6th gear lower limit is about 50mph.

For tire pressure just don't inflate past the max pressure on the sidewalk, measured cold in mid-afternoon; again for safety.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
One other thought - weight isn't as big an issue as the EPA thinks. My car was heavier than the published curb weight by about 35 lbs when I started my 800 mile run.

· Premium Member
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
I respect what you are working to achieve but over inflating tires and removing stuff seems a bit obsessive on my side. I think finding ideal speed for your daily route makes sense to me. I want a comfy ride and honestly for the money the Cruze CTD is an amazing ride and comfort. I enjoy pushing this car to see what it can do but not in exchange of my comfort. Hope you make it.

I agree with you about comfort and safety, but I would like to clear up a couple things.

I run my tires at 51 psi cold, the maximum rated pressure on the sidewall. When warm the tire pressure increases to 55 psi or greater based on outside air temp and road surface temp. I understand this is above what is stated on the door placard but is within the design recommendations of the tire manufacturer.

As far as weight reduction from component removal, it was a poor attempt at humor. I have done a couple performance mods to the exhaust that saved about 60 pounds. These mods were for performance but, had a positive affect on the weight of the car. I mentioned the weight savings versus performance as some people are tired of hearing about it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
It's all good. I had a vision you removed all the seats but the driver seat. :uhh:

Reactions: BradHerr and obermd

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
It's all good. I had a vision you removed all the seats but the driver seat. :uhh:
Please don't give GM any more ideas for de-contenting the car. ;)

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
Brad you do realize that the difference in true cost savings between a 900 mile tank and a 1000 mile tank is about a cup of coffee at Starbucks? I know it's cool. I guess we will know pretty soon. I bought a old roadmaster wagon to flip and on the way home I ran out of gas on 465 around the loop in Indy. The fuel gauge didn't work, it showed I had fuel. Paid a for a tow truck to safely take me to a gas station and put fuel in it and drove home. I didn't like being on a highway with cars going 70 mph and just sitting there. Plus when the car ran out of gas I felt like I was going to get run over by a semi. Hope you have better luck.

Reactions: BradHerr

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
At these range attempts it's not the cost savings but the challenge.

· Premium Member
824 Posts
That's what people said when I announced I was going for an 800 mile tank in my ECO MT.
Were you ever able to get an 800 mile tank out of your Eco MT?

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
Reactions: BradHerr and obermd

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
on my trip to lords town i did 850 miles to my diesel tank. 67.3 mpg at 55mph. at 1/4 tank comp says 120 miles left and i could have made 1,000 but my co pilot she got mad and said no to risking it.... keep her happy she keeps you happy. just cruse at 55mph and youll do it easy

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
during Ga storms it got so bad i went to 30mpg since roads where so watery and i could feel car trying to plow through the water

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Were you ever able to get an 80 mile tank out of your Eco MT?
I hit 80 miles every tank. For 800, the link is in my signature. I ended up at 813.9 miles.

· Premium Member
481 Posts
I might have to make some weight saving enhancements at some time too!!! What tuner are you using. I plan to go with Fleece, they did my Duramax and several race vehicles and I am very comfortable and happy with their work!!!

It has a few enhancements plus a few mods.

Tire pressures are maxed out, 55-58 psi warm.

Grill block off ran below 65°f

Partial extended belly pan between rear axle and rear bumper

Amsoil full synthetic fluids throughout power train

Pretty rowdy tune in computer

Removed extra parts and pieces to reduce weight

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Reactions: BradHerr

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
I hit 80 miles every tank. For 800, the link is in my signature. I ended up at 813.9 miles.
Do you fill your fuel tank to brim or just stop near the click on the ECO with the reduction in fuel capacity with ECO tank. I have to say that was a feature of the ECO setup that I really didn't like so much. Unless I filled to brim it never seemed to feel like I was putting the same amount of gasoline in.

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Do you fill your fuel tank to brim or just stop near the click on the ECO with the reduction in fuel capacity with ECO tank. I have to say that was a feature of the ECO setup that I really didn't like so much. Unless I filled to brim it never seemed to feel like I was putting the same amount of gasoline in.
I started with 16.0 to 16.1 gallons in my tank and averaged over 50 MPG the entire tank. I don't have the modified fuel pump. My normal fill is to the first dollar after first click off, which does give me some really strange tank to tank MPG numbers but it averages out over time. Interesting thing is that the station I did this at I can no longer trickle fill. It appears they have replaced the underground pumps. Here's the full thread: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/22778-800-mile-eco-mt-tank-range.html.

· Premium Member
1,958 Posts
I started with 16.0 to 16.1 gallons in my tank and averaged over 50 MPG the entire tank. I don't have the modified fuel pump. My normal fill is to the first dollar after first click off, which does give me some really strange tank to tank MPG numbers but it averages out over time. Interesting thing is that the station I did this at I can no longer trickle fill. It appears they have replaced the underground pumps. Here's the full thread: http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/27-fuel-economy/22778-800-mile-eco-mt-tank-range.html.
i fully understand, with my CTD I guess it's similar but just get more than Eco. Sometimes with the diesel the knozel is larger in diameter and it just fills too fast and or it won't let me trickle it in, I don't like wearing diesel fuel or gas and if pump doesn't let me trickle it in no need to try, just makes a royal mess. I like big numbers for distance but not that big of deal.

Reactions: obermd

· Premium Member
24,131 Posts
Be careful - the fuel gauge drops like a rock at the end. If you run out of fuel we do have a badge you can add to your signature block.

41 - 60 of 173 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.