Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
161 - 173 of 173 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Weather seems to have a lot to do with my fuel economy. Heat and wind can really impact mpg.

I regularly run I-10 between Arizona and California. From about May to October the prevailing winds out of the West can cost me 3-4 mpg heading into CA. On the return trip to AZ if I catch a tailwind it can cancel out most of that loss but not always all.

Then there are those trips where I fight headwinds both ways. Depending on time of day the winds can switch from West to East.

Add to that it’s HOT (less-dense air = decreased efficiency). The turbo helps to negate this impact but it’s still noticeable.

Winter to Spring the winds die off for the most part. It’s on those calm, cool days where the car is most efficient.
Is that how you maintain 55MPG? I think that is just crazy. Is your road pretty flat? I'm lucky to average 44mpg over a tank, sometimes 45.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Is that how you maintain 55MPG? I think that is just crazy. Is your road pretty flat? I'm lucky to average 44mpg over a tank, sometimes 45.
Cruise set on 60 mph, right lane (also a couple years ago the car got ‘lighter’ and there’s a spare tire in the trunk...wink).

However, I did accomplish the first 1,000 mile tank before the ’diet plan’. Same driving pattern combined with a lot of luck (no traffic jams, little wind and very few stops).

·
Registered
804 Posts
Cruise set on 60 mph, right lane (also a couple years ago the car got ‘lighter’ and there’s a spare tire in the trunk...wink).

However, I did accomplish the first 1,000 mile tank before the ’diet plan’. Same driving pattern combined with a lot of luck (no traffic jams, little wind and very few stops).
I read diet plans don't help much with improved economy anyways.

·
Registered
373 Posts

do you use A/C as well?

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
do you use A/C as well?
Yep, AC doesn’t seem to make much difference. The wind and stop/go traffic are the biggest negatives for mpg.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Thing is I could do 60MPH right lane, but our speed limit is 75 and I don't want to be "that guy". When I get passed by tractor-trailers I feel like an idiot.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Yeah I hear ya. Doing 60 in a 75 would be dicey at best.

Most of my drive is in California where truck/trailer limit is 55 mph. One would think I’d be fine at 60 mph (5 over their limit) but I still manage to piss off a lot of truckers doing 70+.

Reactions: BDCCruze

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
Another thou tank. Most miles yet.

147K on the odometer, still a great little road warrior.

Car Speedometer Vehicle Gauge Auto part
Text Font Label Auto part Brand
Speedometer Vehicle Car Auto part Odometer

Reactions: Tomko

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,239 Posts
****. We've never gotten close to that. Do you pack the tank full with the couple extra gallons that fit?

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
I always top to the brim with diesel. (Not recommended for gassers)

After pump clicks off I can usually get another 3 gallons in (Very patiently, about 10 minutes).

Equates to an extra 150+ miles range.

Reactions: Tomko

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,239 Posts
Well that would explain it then. I don't think I or my wife have the patience to do that. :LOL:

But also, I'd feel a bit like an ass taking up one of the two diesel pump handles where we fill up (assuming some jackass in a gas vehicle hasn't decided to use it instead of any of the other open gas-only pumps). If it had more diesel handles then I'd not have an issue with it, aside from the extra 10 minutes, haha.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2015 Diesel Cruze and just had the original battery replaced. Now it seems I cannot hit the 50mpg bar (every 3 miles) in the economy trend graph - except once or twice in 200+ miles. I used to get a solid 10 columns at 50+ mpg...Any thoughts as to why that would change? My driving habits, commute route and routines have not changed. Thanks!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I have a 2015 Diesel Cruze and just had the original battery replaced. Now it seems I cannot hit the 50mpg bar (every 3 miles) in the economy trend graph - except once or twice in 200+ miles. I used to get a solid 10 columns at 50+ mpg...Any thoughts as to why that would change? My driving habits, commute route and routines have not changed. Thanks!
I don't know where you live, but up north, our winter blend fuel normally results in 3-4 MPG loss. You posted during the winter months so it's possible they switched you over? Another thing - did you remember to run the negative lead through the current sensor? It's possible the alternator is working OT if it thinks the battery is not charged.

And just as an update to this thread - I notice at the place I buy fuel you can slowly let off the handle to get it to just trickle out without foaming. Lets you easily squeeze in another gallon without even trying. I suppose hitting 17 to 18 gallons is probably quite possible. I got to 16.5 once from bone dry tank but I left because I wasn't patient enough to do it more.

161 - 173 of 173 Posts