Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been trying to narrow it down which classic car I want to buy as my retirement plan. Its come down to a 67-71 Chevrolet chevelle, 70-71 nova, 67-69 Camaro rs, ss, or yenko models, 68 GTO, 67-69 firebird, a 56 corvette stingray, and as much as I love to say this even though I absolutely despise ford, I cant stand them, my last car on my wish list is a 67 Shelby gt500 A.K.A Eleanor. Im leaning more towards the Camaros or firebird. Im obviously aiming for something that's as close to original as possible...and hopefully matching numbers. I know that's hard to come by but anything is possible. So what do you guys think?

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I really like the GTO's. I seen one for the first time along with my fav's Camaro at out GOODGUYS car show back in july and I was really impressed with those =]

·
Registered
334 Posts
1971 Barracuda. My dad had one and it was our project car the entire time I was in high school. Beautiful car that kicked major a$$

I want to get my hands on an old Camaaro SS, preferably a 69

·
Registered
93 Posts
chevycruze2012 said:
As many of you know...I have a 2012 cruze ECO MT. I bought this a little over a month ago, and I traded my LT in for this one. I was offered 15,800.00 for trade in allowance which helped me out tremendously with my new sale. What has really impacted me more than what I imagined is my car payment. Letting my car go is not really an option since I am able to do this easily...but each week to two weeks, I find myself short of cash about 100-200.00. I work 85 hours every two weeks at my auto parts job, making 8.50 an hour, plus 13.00 hr for OT. My car payment each month is 441.88 with a 7.344% APR......im suppose to put back 65.00 a month for insurance but haven't the last 3 months, plus my tags are 205.00 a year. Based off these numbers and my income...how do you think im doing? I don't have rent or any other major bills to pay. I live with my grandparents and just help them out whenever I can with a utility bill. Im checking into another job working for the union bringing home 6 figures a year but its not promising to me because my skills are very limited which sucks. What other options do you think I have?
Tell me more.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
...how on earth you think you'll be able to afford some sort of classic car when you have stated in the recent past that you are short on cash every month. Not only do you have the purchase price of a classic, but you also have insurance (which you'd want good coverage), registration, and lots of maintenance parts aside from your usual cleaning supplies. Old cars break down, just how it is, even if it's restored. You have to expect the unexpected and have the means of dealing with issues as they arise.

I can't believe this discussion is happening. You need to spend time looking for a better job or starting a business right now, not buying a classic car.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Tell me more.
I was thinking along the same lines.
Not that long ago OP was having financial issues and now we are looking into questionable retirement investments?

Many of the models are all over the place. For the Chevelle a '67 but not a '66, a '71 but not a '72. 1970 Nova but not the '68 or 69 which are the same body styles.

Unless you find one stashed away in a barn somewhere it is pie in the sky dreaming. Even if you had a barn find L88 Yenko Camaro it would be $10s of thousands to properly restore it. Even the LS6 chevelle dropped to less than 1/2 price after the bubble burst so it may not be the best long term retirement option. If it is a investment you can forget about driving it and better have climate controlled storage.

·
Banned
2,226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
...how on earth you think you'll be able to afford some sort of classic car when you have stated in the recent past that you are short on cash every month. Not only do you have the purchase price of a classic, but you also have insurance (which you'd want good coverage), registration, and lots of maintenance parts aside from your usual cleaning supplies. Old cars break down, just how it is, even if it's restored. You have to expect the unexpected and have the means of dealing with issues as they arise.

I can't believe this discussion is happening. You need to spend time looking for a better job or starting a business right now, not buying a classic car.
Ill probably buy it when my cruze is paid off. I'd trade my cruze in for the classic of my choice in a heartbeat

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ill probably buy it when my cruze is paid off. I'd trade my cruze in for the classic of my choice in a heartbeat

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#1 Pay off in what, 6 years? Then how do you plan on financing a classic? Not something they just hand out large $$ loans on.

#3 Where do you expect to find this classic car in the Rust belt of Iowa? My parents lived there for a while, classics are rare and far between. We even thought about transporting ones back there to sell for a premium. Unless you stumble upon a barn find that the person has no clue what they have then expect to pay $$. (Makes me think of the song Riding with Private Malone "What she called a Chevy was a 66 Corvette")

#3 Retirement plan is not a car, unless it is made of solid gold. Over the lifetime of the car if you have even a $100,000 return good luck on retiring for any length of time. A retirement plan is a lot more involved than that and most undershoot their retirement. They also forget to take in account the inflation cost of living. A $1 today isn't going to get you as far in 40 years. A solid investment with return is the only way to go. At 23 I started in a state hospital as an RN. I contribute 6.3% of each dollar to the mandatory fund and they put 10.2%, much better than you will find anywhere else (there is also no cap once you start drawing you always draw even if you have exceeded your contribution). I also have 401k and 457, although in smaller amounts until my student loans are paid off (7 years is my current plan). At 28 Now do I feel like I have a solid retirement....NO. Your age isn't that far off from mine, but with no career= no retirement. Let me repeat that No career=no retirement. I've seen your other post and quite frankly when I joined I knew I would have a hard time biting my tongue for whinny kids with no plan for their life like you. Yes I am calling you a kid, because at 16 I had more direction and plans than you have shown. Take peoples advice, learn from those around you, don't be entitled, work your ass off for reality and not pipe dreams, then you will succeed. Take this as all negativity if you wish, but someone has to call you back into reality at some point, if the mods feel I am out of line please let me know. (And yes, you caught me on a bad day, 3 12's and a 16hr shift will to that to you)

Good luck in your ventures.
-Just a guy who doesn't suger-coat the world and would himself like a 67 Chevelle

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
My reaction:

My thoughts:

Don't plan so ahead. Plan on paying off any debt you have floating over your head. I made this mistake, when i tried to save money to buy straight out cash a weekend sports car. Guess what? I ended up spending it on a hydrolocked car, then i got married, then i got sick and was hospitalized, and now i have some other expenses coming up that i did not expect. Saving money is KEY. You will learn this over time. We are all trying to help you not make the same mistakes all young people do, of putting all their money on a car, and then lose it from getting it repo'ed because they got fired.

Food for thought.

·
Super Moderator
7,813 Posts
It's hard to add to some of the wisdom being shared by respondents to the op - but I'll offer the following;

1) You don't find a classic. A classic finds you.

2) If properly cared for, your Cruze could become a classic.

3) Stay in school. Don't do drugs.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Guess my 88 Supra Turbo is not quiet a classic yet, had it since knew, but does attract a tad of attention. Not that I am trying to attract attention. Just seem to like that car. Have a vintage car dealer in town, guy seems to like Mustangs, but laying out $25,000 for a coupe like the 67 I had brand new for $2,500.00 seems unreasonable. Never liked that car anyway.

Did test drive a 57 Chevy, memory must have gone haywire, was like driving a truck, my fond memories of this car must mostly be dreams.

At one time had six pre WW II cars in my driveway. A good running Model A was ten bucks, one that needed a lot of work was 5 bucks, was well worth paying that extra five bucks. Favorites was a 30 Olds, 33 Buick, that one was like new, got it from a neighbor with only 14K miles on it for 50 bucks. Also loved my 37 Caddy Limo, a dream to drive, but didn't know how to put up with peer pressure in my HS days.

But no radio nor heater, latter was missed the most. With my 37 Olds or 41 Chevy was a war when carrying a gain, all fought for that front passenger seat so they wouldn't freeze to death. In 48, Chrysler was the first to come out with a decent heater, so had a 47 Plymouth coupe, 48 Dodge, and a 48 New Yorker, 49 Plymouth convertible, and a 52 De Soto. Then it was back to GM with a 54 Olds Holiday 88, fully customized.

In the latter 50's, British Sports cars were in, Austin Healy was my favorite, but not practical for hauling anything larger than a six pack. Ha, still have that air vane for synchronizing those four carbs. Still kicking myself for not buying that 57 MB 300SL gull winged coupe for 3,000 bucks. Before those Wall Street crooks took over in prime condition worth as much as a half a million bucks.

We live only about 55 mile from the Iolo car showed, been avoiding that, would certainly get suckered in. Then I only have a three car garage that is already packed.

Maybe I completely cracked up over the years, love my Cruze. Anything older than a 72 required leaded gas. I never liked muscle cars, maybe okay on the drag strip, but always preferred a well balanced car for taking fast curves.

Another issue with buying an old vehicle is finding parts for it, but Jay Leno doesn't have that problem. Has staff to get the blueprints and make them.

·
Super Moderator
5,175 Posts

I agree! What are you doing to advance you're position in a career job! Go to school and get a degree and a good job and start making > $20 an hour with benefits. To talk about 6 figure income without a career job/business, is beyond me! What kind of education do you have? I have a 4 year degree and have been in IT since 1991. I only make @ 50000 a year. With a wife and son in private school, I sometimes wonder how I can do it. FWIW I do have some inheritance money from my mother who lived with me for the last 12 years but a lot of that money is going to my step son's education and I have a settlement from a car wreck in 1987 and bike wreck in 1995. I put most of the settlement money down on a house to help take care of my mother. Unless you are planning on getting huge amount of money from you're grandparents, helping them out with paying a utility bill and living rent free is not planning you for you're future. I would keep the auto parts job to pay for gas and look into going back to school/trade school and develop a career or something you can live off of. Buying a dream car should be the last of you're concerns until you have an actual job that pays well that you can own you're own house and pay all of you're bills. You have a long way to go for that. I am 46 and I am starting to think about my retirement and how much my son starting college is going to cost and looking forward to having a paid off house in a @ 6 years. I am wondering how you can afford a 2012 Cruze and how much debt you have accumulated. One thing I learned from my parents was if I cannot pay cash for it I probably cannot afford it so I do not buy.FYI I pay cash for my cars and most things or I do not buy them at all.

Get your life on track then worry about having a "fun car". Until you have the "means" to do so, you will have to postpone some of the things you want to have. Putting it off does not mean you will never have it, just means you are "taking care of business and yourself" to do so. If you don't, take care of what is important, you will end up being in debt.

Don't you're Grandparents ask what are you going to do with yourself? I hate to say this but what are you going to do when they are gone. Are you going to be able to take care of their house, pay the bills etc. It is life and you will need to do it someday! Build a life for yourself!
Watch this video
I'm done!

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
To talk about 6 figure income without a career job/business, is beyond me! What kind of education do you have?
Any employer who hires someone with a high school education at six figures should be ashamed of themselves. Granted there are exceptions, but probably fewer than I have fingers. I know I returned to a previous employer a couple weeks back (The place has a retail store) and one of the guys I worked with was saying how his grandson works in the back cleaning trailers. He never finished high school, claimed he couldn't study due to ADHD. The manager never finished high school either, but I think he might have a GED. It blows my mind how this business can reward people who can't at least tough it out through high school. Luckily there haven't been protests for higher wages that I know of there...

Go to school and get a degree and a good job and start making > $20 an hour with benefits.
Really, where?!

Reactions: Starks8

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Just learned from my younger brother our mom pitched three full shoe boxes of baseball cards. I recall those had many Babe Ruth and Mickey Mantle cards. But no such thing as collectors back then. And even forget to mention, dropped in a 53 Caddy V-8 in a 1948 Ford Coupe, what a sleeper that was, and perfectly legal to do so. Total cost was 150 bucks.

We had dreams back then of driving 300 mph on interstates, try more like 2 mph on the Dan Ryan. Entirely different back then, buying a classic car today, won't bring those days back, but will certainly break your bank account. That is, if you have one.

·
Registered
47 Posts
>$20 with great benifits = Nursing!
An education is where it's at, but you've gotta be selective and make sure there are jobs for your degree.

Granted, nursing is not for everyone and I'm very fortunate to work at a state hospital in Idaho so it's not the typical nursing job. Started when I was 23 and can have full retirement at 56 if things stay the same (rule of 90). It can be hostile at times but not like the movies or what I've heard of other psyc wards. I also worked at the Prison in medical part time and was doing 64hr weeks between the two 6 days of the week. Was able to set aside down payment for a house easily.

Life isn't all easy, but if you work your ass off you'll get to a comfortable level. I started working as far as the tax commission can tell in 2001 at 15 for minimum wage $5.15hr. I now make 5x that with benefits, but I have earned it, life wasn't handed to me. To hold out for hopes and dreams you'll come up empty handed. My mom used to always say want in one hand **** in the other and see what one fills up first. Well if your pissing your life away you might as well be shitting in your hsnds.

·
Premium Member
916 Posts
Screw it, if you're going to dream about owning a nice car, dream big. I would go for something completely stupid like a Pagani or a Bugatti.

Reactions: iKermit

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Could never find a 1941 Lincoln Continental V-12 yellow convertible when I was a kid. If you run across one in mint condition, let me know. Was willing to go 150 for it back then, today, I will raise that to a thousand.

Hey, I can dream too.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Lol. Retirement from the sounds you gotta awhile. That's just crazy.. got to school try and het a job in that field meanwhile pay off your school debt, let me know how that works out.

sent from my spectrum

1 - 20 of 26 Posts