Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 Eco and I am getting near replacement time for my tires. I notice this mainly bc the wet handling with the tires I have now. I have Fuel Maxs
with @ 50K on them and when it rains the car gets rather "squirly" Esp with braking and turns. Anyone else replace Eco tires yet and your opinions.
Did you stay with Low Resistance tires and what about MPG? I would say MPG is not my main priority since I don't get that "great" of MPG and I do mainly city driving

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,754 Posts
I'm planning to stick with the Fuel Maxes when it comes time for replacement.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Hi i' a 12 Eco driver to in alberta and I have been using this tire all year round I'm using the Continental DSW06 tire and have been getting great Economy and handling and when it comes to winter it has been very good tire. on average city I get 6.8 and hwy 4.6

if you want to know a great winter tire Bridgestone BLIZZAK

·
Registered
589 Posts
I put the Pirelli's on mine about 20k ago, been completely satisfied with he performance but never saw any increase in the MPG.

·
Premium Member
939 Posts
I recently replaced mine with Fuel Maxes, the value proposition was just too good to risk changing to another tire - and they lasted nearly 70K miles with at least 4/32 to go. I got worried about age and dry-rot, they were the originals.

I have heard good things about Continentals, and there is a group of folks here who swear by Michelin. But the "LRR" rating varies a lot from tire to tire and company to company, so I thought that the tire the Eco was designed with was a good, if conservative, way to go.

·
Premium Member
2,219 Posts
Has anyone changed from the fuel max to something else, mine are wearing fine. My only gripe is on concrete on a freeway they are noisy.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I recently replaced mine with Fuel Maxes, the value proposition was just too good to risk changing to another tire - and they lasted nearly 70K miles with at least 4/32 to go. I got worried about age and dry-rot, they were the originals.

I have heard good things about Continentals, and there is a group of folks here who swear by Michelin. But the "LRR" rating varies a lot from tire to tire and company to company, so I thought that the tire the Eco was designed with was a good, if conservative, way to go.
Actually this will be my 2nd set if I stay with the Fuel Max. @ 30K I was afraid of bad handling in the winter so I replaced with GY Triple Treads and regretted every mile so I returned them and traded for another set of Fuel Maxs Had these now for @ 50K and as I said they are starting to get squirly in the rain. So just looking around right now but probably end up waiting till end of Summer as they are not all that bad and good comfort drive so.......

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,970 Posts
Recommended it elsewhere, but I loved my PureContact. They're "EcoPlus" but I wouldn't say they're a super high MPG tire - they're very grippy in bad and good weather, and I loved that. Quiet too.

Pirelli P7 actually bumped up MPG a bit on highway trips on our other car. Been reasonably impressed with those as well - very quiet and good wet, snow, and dry traction.

I have Michelin MXM4 on my 2016, and will probably go back to one of the above tires when they're worn out. I'm not that impressed with them. Premier A/S is interesting in concept in that new tread sipes uncover as they wear to 4/32", but having driven on them, I think they're noisy and don't do anything very well.

·
Administrator
15,722 Posts
Pat, I couldn't deal with the poor wet traction of the OEM tires. I no longer felt safe or confident on them and had only ~35,000 miles on them when they were replaced. I had a good 6/32" of tread left on them. I did lose a solid 3/5 mpg city/highway after replacing them, but that's a small price to pay for the improvement in wet traction I gained. Granted, I also went with the heaviest touring tire in a size wider than stock, so that had something to do with it as well.

If fuel economy is your primary concern, you really won't be able to beat the OEM tires, but if you have other priorities, I'd look elsewhere.

I have Michelin MXM4 on my 2016, and will probably go back to one of the above tires when they're worn out. I'm not that impressed with them. Premier A/S is interesting in concept in that new tread sipes uncover as they wear to 4/32", but having driven on them, I think they're noisy and don't do anything very well.
That makes me wonder how honest those reviews are...

·
16,970 Posts
XtremeRevolution said:
That makes me wonder how honest those reviews are...
To be fair, they're on a big boat of a 10-yr old Accord that probably needs a suspension refresh. The handling of that car has never impressed me, but it understeered like crazy when I tried to hustle it through a yellow light. They seem to resist wheel hopping a lot better than others on it though.

My parents say they're good in rain compared to the MXV4, and the car as a whole is just awful in snow.

·
10,712 Posts
If MXV4 are kinda like what came on my Mazda 6 they suck. They did not like to be driven in any condition outside of rush hour traffic.

I also ate through 2 sets of oem fuel max tires 33K miles each. They were a decent price for the tire but I wanted a more aggressive tire the 3rd time around and better "all season traction". I ended up with the Comp 2 A/S and for the short time enjoyed the super stiff sidewalls. I didn't have them on the car long enough to say the MPG was gone. I also went Z Spec grille which also deleted some aero properties.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Kinda looking at the Continental Pure Contacts. But haven't heard much of anything mentioned about them. They look to have a good tread and reading
Tire rack reviews. It was just something that happened yesterday when we had a big rain and I was going a little fast for the conditions and tried to take a turn
too fast and I noticed I do quite a few water "burnouts" with them when it rains. Now my son's car and my LS had Firestone 710 and they are not too bad I bought his 710s at a buy 3 get 1 free deal which came out less than 300. Price is becoming a consideration esp since the Fuel Max are going 600 + for a set and I know how they behave. I will let it go a little longer and look around some more.

·
16,970 Posts
Kinda looking at the Continental Pure Contacts. But haven't heard much of anything mentioned about them. They look to have a good tread and reading
Tire rack reviews. It was just something that happened yesterday when we had a big rain and I was going a little fast for the conditions and tried to take a turn
too fast and I noticed I do quite a few water "burnouts" with them when it rains. Now my son's car and my LS had Firestone 710 and they are not too bad I bought his 710s at a buy 3 get 1 free deal which came out less than 300. Price is becoming a consideration esp since the Fuel Max are going 600 + for a set and I know how they behave. I will let it go a little longer and look around some more.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=99657

·
Registered
803 Posts
I just purchased some new wheels for my Eco and am contemplating a new set of tires. I am currently on my 2nd set of Fuel Maxes (6/32" tread left) and can also attest that I really haven't had any complaints of this tire whatsoever except for a little tire slippage in cold rainy conditions.

Since I no longer need to drive large distances to work, fuel economy is no longer a first priority. But I'm torn from walking away from the tire that was designed specifically for the Eco. Especially if that means potentially altering the way it drives just for the sake of finding a tire that has better wet traction.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I currently am running the PureContacts on my car. I've had them on for about 8500 miles now. Here's a little review--

Tread depth after 8500 miles: Front 6-7/32nds Rear 5/632nds

Pros- Fantastic cornering, pretty good in the snow (from the 2 little snows in my changeover period, I run Blizzaks), wet traction is good, they seem to have good rolling resistance, tight steering, and they track well

Cons- Ride a bit stiff (especially over big bumps), hydroplaning in deep water seems to be kinda meh, and they became noisy recently.

I actually bought my replacement tires to replace these once they hit about 4/32nds, and I went with the Bridgestone Turanza Serenity Plus. I'd say they are soft rubber and that's why they have good traction. I'm sure they'd last longer in a flat state, but I bet mine will be worn out by June or July. If you don't mind buying tires a little more often and want cornering over a comfy ride, I'd say absolutely buy them.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I am at Tire Rack right now waiting for installation I'll let you know how they are when I drive home.

·
Super Moderator
5,099 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Now the pure contacts are installed, I love the ride/ handling! Much improved over the Fuel "Maxs" Just need to put some mileage on them to get the LRR but I saw 41 MPG on the way home so.... See how they are in the "weather"/rain etc.

·
16,970 Posts
Now the pure contacts are installed, I love the ride/ handling! Much improved over the Fuel "Maxs" Just need to put some mileage on them to get the LRR but I saw 41 MPG on the way home so.... See how they are in the "weather"/rain etc.
I knew you'd like em! :th_coolio:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts