Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2017 Cruze diesel new and I am pulling the plug on it. I informed GM that I was initiating a buyback. Why you ask. Since i bought the car it has been in the shop 13 times for check engine light with codes related to the DEF system. They changed every component in the system and some of them several times. Today is May 24 and the car has been at the dealer since Feb 24. This time it gave 3 codes one for the emissions, one for the mass air flow and one for #4 cylinder imbalance. The dealer told me that they are waiting for parts???. There is one part they said that isn't available in the country after checking all GM dealers and warehouses. I don't know what part they are talking about but the car is less than 3 years old and even though they stopped production, parts should be available. The service manager said I was not able to claim a buyback because it was only applicable for the first year, but in the state I am in I have 3 years from the date of purchase to request a buyback. Waiting to hear from GM advisor.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
4,349 Posts
Bummer to hear you've had so many issues - the downside to mass productions is sometimes cars like this can happen.

Waiting for parts has been a very common theme for any of us with a Cruze Diesel, especially the 2nd gens, from all the threads I've seen.

They haven't stopped making parts - they legally have to for something like 7 or 10 years after a vehicle stops production - but that doesn't mean they have to make a lot. And then they're probably sitting at one distribution center, and they're clearly less than proficient about getting them sent out in a reasonable amount of time.

Reactions: Iamantman

·
Registered
479 Posts
That is a bummer I'm sorry. Like MP81 said they have to make parts for the car legally but they're certainly operating at the bare minimum. Then you have the strike that happened right around the time your car went to the shop and now COVID 19 and well, that's a perfect storm for no parts.

I'm dealing with that now as well on my car (2018 hatch)

·
Administrator
25,419 Posts
Bummer to hear you've had so many issues - the downside to mass productions is sometimes cars like this can happen.

Waiting for parts has been a very common theme for any of us with a Cruze Diesel, especially the 2nd gens, from all the threads I've seen.

They haven't stopped making parts - they legally have to for something like 7 or 10 years after a vehicle stops production - but that doesn't mean they have to make a lot. And then they're probably sitting at one distribution center, and they're clearly less than proficient about getting them sent out in a reasonable amount of time.
Actually, they probably don't have any parts sitting for distribution. The Cruze diesel (both generations) is a low volume car and it's cheaper for GM to order parts as needed.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thats not the whole story. Before I bough the Cruze I had a VW Jetta TDI and was caught up in that mess. After discussing the VW problem with some knowledgeable people, I decided to forgo the fix take the money and run to my nearest Chevy dealer and buy a Cruze TD. If I get the buyback I will get what I paid for the car plus all taxes fees etc, minus a reduction for mileage from the first time I had to take it in for service. The first time I had a check engine light was about 5,700 miles. The car now has 35k. So for over 30k miles I have been in and out of the dealer and hopefully this is the last time.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts