Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone my wife have been bugging me about how much she likes this car and how she wanted one. "So OK let's go get you a Chevy Cruze" we found a 2011 1.4 lt nice car drives so good it had approximately 129000 I had to talk the guy down I almost didn't buy it because the radio didn't work he didn't wanna come down on the price. He was saying the previous owner had a touch screen radio and before he took the car there he replace radios but didn't install it right because it was cutting off and on it would be an easy fix. Well not so easy I got home checked it and nothing. I look for blown fuses, I got my multimeter to check if there was voltage going through wires I really don't know what's up.I'm hoping I can get some answers here before I take it to dealership. Another thing is two days after I changed oil the check engine popped up so I took it to auto zone and my stomach dropped when the p420 code came up.My wife called the dealership about the recalls there's two I believe she said they haven't been taken care of. Hopefully it nothing really bad. Overall my wife is really happy with her Chevy cruze it drives so good she would be much happier if she had a radio and the top screen fixed

·
Super Moderator
7,786 Posts
Welcome.

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk.

Can you take a picture of the center console showing the screens. You mentioned top screen which implies the original screen is still in the car but has been moved.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I believe it's called the display screen where it shows the temperature in the car the front panel everything looks original but nothing works I will get in the car and take a picture

·
Administrator
25,608 Posts
So its just the one screen. You may need to take it to a car audio installer or a dealership to get this resolved.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Welcome to the forum we have a lot of these come through the shop with screen won't display anything or altogether stopped working no audio or display I would bring it to the dealer to see if they can talk to it with their scan tool good luck

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
OK, from the picture, the radio looks stock. However, I have to wonder how much the prior owner messed with the wiring in installing a aftermarket radio. It might be worth checking for a bad splice around the radio/display area.

Reactions: Merc6

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys for your suggestions i really think either the radio and the display screen are shorted out or it need to be reprogrammed with a special tool at the dealership as it was mentioned.there is no sound or any light on this thing. We have to take it to the dealership tomorrow so I would say something about it thank you again.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Something quick to try - press the power button. IIRC, the radio has power all the time, but it relies on the computer bus connection to tell it when to turn on/off automatically. (It's not like the older cars where the power to it is switched.) You should be able to turn it on with the power button even if it's "off".

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
We took the car to the dealership to get the recalls on it taken care of. I mentioned the radio not working the said it would be about 90+ dollars to find the problem plus whatever to fix the problem I'm better of buying an aftermarket that. really stinks I think that radio looks awesome even if I found a working unit they have to program it it would be another bill going to the dealership. I really think the radio is dead when I took it out it had what appeared to be roach poop lol I bought the car from a repo guy about hour and half where I live

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Not sure if I like this new stuff either, you could pick up a radio like this one a wrecking yard for around ten bucks. Loaded with tuning inductors for tuning, IF cans, motors, discrete transistors that could be repaired, motors for seeking a different station with a press of that bar. A master piece of mechanical engineering.

Cruse ain't a radio, its a computer, and like any computer without an OS loaded, you will also get a black screen, and that screen is a printing press operation, no fancy moving dials. No inductors either a frequency synthesis circuit with phased locked loop for the entire bands and stereo decoder is all packed in one 17 cent chip, make these by the millions. Controlled by an 89 cent microcontroller with flashram in it, just like in a digital camera.

Pulling the power doesn't work, flashram does not reset by this, has to be reloaded. For just about anything you buy like this can download the code for free over the internet. But not with automotive, have to go to a dealer with a guy that doesn't even know what he is doing. Bluetooth cost next to nothing for hand free calls, also has a data link for prgramming and configurating your vehicle, uses class D audio amplifiers that don't even require a large heat sink. And part of your warning system, key left in ignition, seatbelts not on.

No power switches, uses these push button switches that run about 4 cents each to fire commands to the controller. No more hand wired chassis, surface mount boards are use, another printing press operation, components are mounted at the rate of 30 per second. GPS chips are made by the billions today, add a couple bucks to the radio, yet they want 700 bucks for this option and about the same for a replacement radio, but hit us 200 bucks for a map update.

No tech making a couple of bucks an hour tests these things, automation can do over 300 tests per second. This is how electronics has changed over the years. But yet they want a fortune for this crap, this is the problem.

Faced with the EPA, OSHA, ERA, IRS, super high cost of health insurance, practically none of this stuff is done in the USA anymore, all of this technology was developed here, in the good ole USA. So done by slaves in China.

Okay, biodegradable acids are using both for manufacturing of the components and electroplating, okay cannot be dumped in city sewer systems anymore, but could be put in tank and reprocessed, but not with our crooked EPA, just ban it and move it offshore. Lose millions of jobs, and once that buck leaves here, IRS can't tax it anymore. These are the kind of idiots we have leading our country.

But then there is health insurance, retirement, and a couple of days off for a vacation or a holiday, only government workers get all those holidays off.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Thank you guys for your suggestions i really think either the radio and the display screen are shorted out or it need to be reprogrammed with a special tool at the dealership as it was mentioned.there is no sound or any light on this thing. We have to take it to the dealership tomorrow so I would say something about it thank you again.
Hello oscarhernandez1983,

My sincerest apologies for the delay in our response, however, I just wanted to check in with you to see if your dealership was able to diagnose this for you? Please update me at your earliest convenience and if you need any additional assistance in the meantime, we would be more than happy to help.

Have a great weekend,

Chelsea D.
Chevrolet Customer Care

1 - 16 of 16 Posts