Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve 2014 1.8 chevy cruze 22k miles ( dont drive a lot) and suddenly I got this message yesterday while driving and the temp gauge was a little bit higher than halfway (at 5 o’clock position). After that I can hear the fan very loud and the temp went back to normal (at 7 o’clock pos). Went home and after 8 hours I opened the reservoir and found little amount of coolant also I noticed the cap of reservoir wasn’t secured to the end ( meaning no tick sound when I opened it) and this was my first time for me to open the hood since I bought the brand new car in 2014.
After research on the forum I found different theories from broken water pump, leak or just dex-cool coolant should be changed. During last three years I was only doing oil&filter change at the dealer and everytime I ask about anything to change they are saying at 30k miles although the car is 3 years old.
Any help or advice?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
On same day before that incident happen I went to les chewab to do pre trip inspection . Not sure if the guy just forgot to secure the reservoir tank and some of coolant evaporated, I’m new in automotive in general and trying to learn. So another question, when I opened the reservoir i heared the hiss sound, that means it was probaby closed/secured tightly, right? Or it should be closed till you hear a tick sound? Also the reservoir was almost empty, is that expected for if you don’t check them regularly ? I’ve never added or even checked it before but dealer should have done that with every oil change.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,498 Posts
Cruzes are well-known for leaks. Not a car you never want to open the hood on.

Fill the coolant (you'll need GM Dexcool or equivalent) with the engine cold and keep an eye on it for the next few days. Never open the expansion tank with a hot motor - coolant can gush out and scald you.

The junction for the expansion tank that connects near the side of the motor is a very common leak point. You may see puddling on top of the transmission. The thermostat housing (follow the radiator hose) is also somewhat of a leaker on 1.8s, as well as the water pump to a much lesser extent than the 1.4t.

Most of this stuff is covered under powertrain warranty, except the first one I mentioned.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks, so can the reservoir get empty without a leek? I opened the hood and don’t see any leaks anywhere. Also I added the coolant dex-cool 50/50 as mentioned in the manual and I took it for half an hour drive, turned on AC as well to see it. the temp gauge stayed below the middle pos.

I noticed after my trip that the reservoir went down a little bit but I think as the manual instructs to repeat the filling process again after the engine becomes hot but I need for the engine to cool down.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,498 Posts
Thanks, so can the reservoir get empty without a leek?
No

I noticed after my trip that the reservoir went down a little bit but I think as the manual instructs to repeat the filling process again after the engine becomes hot but I need for the engine to cool down.
Yep, check again when cold. It will burp out air and the level may go down again. Continue to check every few days for the next few weeks and see if it goes down quickly or stays relatively stable.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
2 Participants
jblackburn
Chevrolet Cruze Forums
CruzeTalk.com forum, news, discussions and the best community for owners to discuss all things related to the Chevy Cruze.
Full Forum Listing