Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my way to work at 4:30 am only cars on highway and a drunk woman hits me... She begged me not to call the cops but I did anyway then she took off... I got her plate number and the police are looking for her...

sad day for my 12 cruze ltz rs.

Attachments

·
Registered
202 Posts
Sorry to hear, at least its a drunk hit that your walking away from, could of been far worse.

I don't even know what i'd do to a drunk who hit my car if my kid was in the back seat.

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts
You have a plate number and description. That's all the police need to do their job. Here's hoping she has insurance you can go through.

Glad to hear you are all right! The car can and will be fixed.

Reactions: ErikBEggs

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
If you look closely at the rear guard you will notice that to remove it involves removing both doors and the front guard as well as the panel is the whole side of the car.
This damage cost $4,200 and took 3 weeks to fix.
View attachment 31866

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
Give her license plate to your insurance company as well. Even if the police can't find her, which I doubt, your insurance company can. When found she'll receive at a very minimum careless driving causing and accident and leaving the scene of an accident. Many times drunks will flee the scene because they want to sober up before the police arrive. You may have to press for the drunk driving charge as a result.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thx guys yeah she took off to sober up im sure the police said the same.but she will pay. ihave uninsured motorist so I hope she does have it though.

wow that was 4200.00 to fix mine gonna be way more.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
my trunk closes but I have to slam it down and it pops out when I open it. the pass side door also the gap isnt there anymore so its pushed up. my car also pushes a little to the left after letting go of the wheel which it never did before. inside the truck the floor inthe corner is pushed up and who knows what else is bent underneath it. im afraid to look.

·
Registered
412 Posts
I'm gonna say, it may be a total loss.. and if the drunk has insurance as well, then you'll just be getting another one.. and have plenty of $$$$ extra in your pockets for the hit and run.

My advice.. Get a lawyer and get it taken care of! The insurance co. will just screw around with you, low ball getting it fixed, and then, when it does get fixed.. You're not gonna be happy with it.

Just my personal opinion...

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
im not to sure thats enough damage for a total loss or not but I know it will be going to the chevy dealership to be repaired so at least it will get gm parts on it. but I know from here on in I will not be happy with the cruze like you say its hard after getting hit.

im not sure about a lawyer I didnt get hurt from this. what can a lawyer do for me.

·
Registered
412 Posts
im not to sure thats enough damage for a total loss or not but I know it will be going to the chevy dealership to be repaired so at least it will get gm parts on it. but I know from here on in I will not be happy with the cruze like you say its hard after getting hit.

im not sure about a lawyer I didnt get hurt from this. what can a lawyer do for me.
Not being hurt is just one thing... But, because she was drunk, and left the scene, from a car that has over $500.00 in dmg done is a serious violation where I live.
You would be surprised by getting a lawyer, what could be done.

Don't treat the car as a CAR... Its your baby. The dmg done to it, the anger, and then the time it'll take to get it repaired. Even if you're not out of time from work, rental car or anything...
Just call one, that does crashes, and see where you stand... You CAN'T loose in this case...

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
On page 7 or 10 in our local paper, always a death listed for a person or persons killed by drunk driver. But when an idiot pilot landed with his gears up, surprised he didn't go deaf with that loud alarm, it made the front page. Then the DOT and FAA sent out a ton of guys to check everything at our airport.

You may say she was drunk, but have no proof of that, but definitely have a hit and run on your side. It's your word against hers. You are lucky you were not injured, but should be checked over anyway. If were severely injured, no choice but to hire an attorney, your insurance company typically only has $5,000.00 medical coverage, really don't care about that. Your attorney will get 30% of the award plus expenses. Wasn't delighted when charge an extra thousand bucks for copies photos of my damages when I already had the digital photos. Could have given those to him for five bucks at the most.

Sure had my share of fender benders. like a person running a red light, there you really need that police report where a ticket was issued to the offender. In cases like this with good collision insurance, just filed a claim with my own insurance company and let them deal with the offenders insurance company. Did have to lay out 250 bucks, and got my car repaired from the body shop of my choice, and after several months, got my 250 bucks back.

With my kids driving cars where the collision rates were more than the cost of the car. Ended up in small claims court. Namely because the other insurance companies claimed my kid's were 30% responsible for just being there. With four such cases, won all four of them plus consequential damages. Could not speak in their behalf, but could be called as an expert witness. They challenged the wrong guy. It amazes me they would pay for two attorneys and their own expert witnesses just to save 600 bucks on a 2,000 buck claim.

Your life and health are the most important issues, while this may be your pride and joy, it is a throwaway product and in just a few short years will be in a recycling bin someplace. But depending on your damages, and for now, your Cruze may have a salvage title that would greatly depreciate your vehicle. Just make darn sure you are compensated for that.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I do have full coverage and gap insurance so I will be good either way. I have not found out yet if they found her right after the accident or not but hope they did. I have a 500.00 deductible so that sucks but I will get that back after they say. im going to get a estimate today after work at the dealership so we will see how bad and how much it will cost.

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
I do have full coverage and gap insurance so I will be good either way. I have not found out yet if they found her right after the accident or not but hope they did. I have a 500.00 deductible so that sucks but I will get that back after they say. im going to get a estimate today after work at the dealership so we will see how bad and how much it will cost.
What you call deductable we call excess and you only pay if you are at fault, if not at fault we pay nothing. If you drive an old clunker that isn't worth much you can get third party property damage insurance, so if you hit a Rolls or something you are covered for their damage but not your own.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Same here, but in addition to collision, comprehensive as well. Each with a separate deductible. How ever much you want to pay. Going back a few years, all coverage of this type was nondeductible, but now have to look at the rates of each.

Say you elect to select 100 dollar deductible, going down to 50 dollar deductible may cost you $49.99 more. And depends on what coverage they select to use. If someone broke into our vehicle and stole something plus breaking windows, would be covered on comprehensive. But some kind of vehicle ran into our Cavalier doing $2,700.00 worth of damage. The store our was parked in front had a closed circuit camera, but was not working. So this "accident" was treated like it was our fault and covered under our collision with a $250.00 deductible. Plus it was held against us, so our rates went up the following year.

They won't with comprehensive. Unbelievable the number of auto insurance companies advertising on TV.

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Wow inkspot1967. I am so glad that you are OK! Hopefully your Cruze is back to its beautiful self very soon!

Jackie
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Premium Member
4,147 Posts
Same here, but in addition to collision, comprehensive as well. Each with a separate deductible. How ever much you want to pay. Going back a few years, all coverage of this type was nondeductible, but now have to look at the rates of each.

Say you elect to select 100 dollar deductible, going down to 50 dollar deductible may cost you $49.99 more. And depends on what coverage they select to use. If someone broke into our vehicle and stole something plus breaking windows, would be covered on comprehensive. But some kind of vehicle ran into our Cavalier doing $2,700.00 worth of damage. The store our was parked in front had a closed circuit camera, but was not working. So this "accident" was treated like it was our fault and covered under our collision with a $250.00 deductible. Plus it was held against us, so our rates went up the following year.

They won't with comprehensive. Unbelievable the number of auto insurance companies advertising on TV.
I am a bit lucky with my insurance after 5 years without a claim I am on 70% discount for life and even an at fault accident will still not lose this for me.

I have been on this for 10 years now. I have had 1 at fault claim when I clipped a low wall I could not see in a driveway, and still kept my no claim discount.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts