Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of hurricane Sandy's victims. Came from Avis and it never even hit the road with only 9 miles on the clock. Car looks brand new inside and out and the water just got up to the door sills. Started to gut the interior so as to pull the carpet for a complete drying out.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Wow, consider yourself lucky! haha

Glad it didn't climb too high to completely ruin your brand new Cruze.

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
**** I want one so I can build it into my track car.

Sent from my Droid using AutoGuide.Com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,490 Posts
What did it set you back.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Seems like that option would be great for a track car since you'd be dumping most of the extra weight anyways.

·
Premium Member
5,158 Posts
Watch out for hidden electrical issues, especially with airbags/ABS. There's lots of wiring in the floor of the car. Spraying out any electrical connector with electronics cleaner might be a good idea. Weatherpack connectors are pretty good for water resistance, but not totally waterproof.

Reactions: iCruze2

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
What did it set you back.

Now I can't really say as I bought it to flip, but, I did have this same 2012 model a year ago, also a flood car with 2,000 miles but was already running and all done when I got it which I put on Ebay and got $12,500 for.

It's a year later but this current car is a year newer with no miles. A lot depends on what I end up doing to it. But most important is what I can do with the title once I get it. It was sold as parts only and in that case, besides parting it out, my options are limited to track use or to find an export buyer so the price will be much less.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
I bought my parts Excursion from an insurance auction too, and I just got an email the other day from Insurance Auto Auctions saying they were going to have a big auction on LI for all the flood vehicles. I bet they were going fairly cheap too- I bought mine almost a year ago and December was generally a slower time. Yards tend to start stocking up in late winter/spring so they have cars to strip down all summer, or at least that's what I was told.

·
Premium Member
5,002 Posts
Do what does a flood victim go for? Be nice to see someone do a track car out of one.

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
Do what does a flood victim go for? Be nice to see someone do a track car out of one.
I can't imagine much. I heard something like 60-65% of the parts value in a scrap car comes from the engine. When you think about the potential of all the electronics getting wet/dirty/rusty, it's a huge risk. If it has the potential of being driveable/repairable, the price jumps dramatically, as does a clear title. For a buyer bidding sight unseen online, the only value they can count on are the body panels and some trim pieces. Even body panels could be questionable unless cleaned quickly since Sandy was a saltwater flood- rust could start quick behind the panels if it were completely flooded.

I bet there were some deals to be had because you'd really have to see the car in person to determine how flooded it was and what a value might be. But, remember, these are auctions, and they are hardly predictable.

I bought an '02 Excursion with 150k as a rollover for about $4k out the door with fees/tax/title/delivery. Bidding was only $2600 out of that. The bidder fees can be spread out over multiple vehicles in a year, but I'm not in that business. At least I've made back about 55% of that cost now by selling parts from it, and that's with keeping everything engine/trans related and many more parts to go too. That vehicle, in it's pre-accident condition, was worth around $15k. I lost out on one about two years ago that was nearly identical, but not nearly as damaged. Bidding on that stopped at about $7800, but the difference was it started, probably could be driven, and was repairable. The 7.3 Powerstroke diesel is well known in the diesel world as being neck and neck with a Cummins (each have a strong following), and the engine alone could be worth $7k or so sold by itself. I don't see the Cruze's 1.4 or 1.8 having a value like that since they are a dime a dozen at insurance auctions compared to 7.3 Excursions (especially lower mileage ones).

I like to browse around on IAA's website from time to time just to see the types of damage Cruzen are incurring. I've seen some very graphic biohazard vehicles on there before, but I've never really seen a very badly damaged Cruze. I've seen Excursions with flattened roofs and cut off roofs, but never a Cruze. That was one factor I considered in buying a Cruze. I didn't even look at what the official crash ratings are (I don't know them now either), but rather I looked at real life wrecks. Can learn a lot from them both in terms of damage prone areas and wear and tear items. Granted I haven't seen any Cruzen up in this range yet, but I have looked at high mileage Excursions before (300k+) and see where the wear items are. I'm more cognizant of those now too, which is one reason why I upgraded to another model's steering wheel with wood on it. I only hold the wood, so no worn down leather here!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Looking through IAAI website (never looked at it before) does make me feel safe in my Cruze, even the worst damage I see on there doesn't look like you'd need to be cut out. Scariest looking one is one that went through a fire after an accident. Just browsing through the first page and this is the scariest and it looks like the passenger compartment is mostly intact. https://www.iaai.com/Vehicles/VehicleDetails.aspx?auctionID=0&itemID=13164366&RowNumber=36

·
Registered
455 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Seems like that option would be great for a track car since you'd be dumping most of the extra weight anyways.
Not a whole lot of weight. The back seat bottom is mostly foam and hardly weighs anything. Passenger seat I'd guess at maybe 30-35 pounds. Drivers seat with 6-way power about 10 pounds more but you have to put some seat back to drive it. The carpet is mostly foam on the back was pretty heavy because of the water but it too can't be too heavy once it drys.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts