Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Administrator
15,692 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Reputations have been enabled on CruzeTalk!

How do you give rep, you ask?

On the left, you have the rep. On the bottom left, you have the button you click to give people rep.

Giving approval rep is like giving a hi5. It's like a smack on the bum in the lockers after a game of football. It's like this:

or this:

Giving disapproval rep is like smacking some off-side the head. It's like this:

or this:

Give as much rep as you can/want. Just don't abuse the system or you'll be given a vacation.

·
Administrator
25,484 Posts
Thanks for the explanation.

·
Resident Derp
2,815 Posts
Took you long enough LOL.

Now, if this forum uses a similar rep system to others, clicking on Settings in the top right side of any page right below your name will allow you to see your current reputation, along with each individual rep given to you, along with the comment if one was given. Just please be aware that the person you are sending rep can see what you leave as a note, so when giving neg rep, please at least be kind in your words.

·
Premium Member
1,085 Posts
On other forums with Rep systems, you are not allowed to ask or beg for Rep.
Is this the case here as well?

And are there any benefits in accumulating Rep?
For example, on Overclock.net - An Overclocking Community , you have to get up to 25 rep points before you can have the ability to sell parts in the marketplace to other members.

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I remember seeing the like button for one post on my iPhone app. And I paid for the app, still no respect. So I went with the free on on my iPad mini.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,781 Posts
If you post an amazing, informative, hilarious post, i will find you, i will greet you, i will rep you.

Wherever you are...

The opposite is also true, anyone can "neg" (disapprove) you if you are an absolute moron.

·
Resident Derp
2,815 Posts
I think that having rep to sell parts is stupid tbh. You're telling me someone has to post something to deem favor in order to earn enough praise to sell his goods? Its the internet, you have to have a certain amount of trust here, and try and be smart about what you do, use paypal where you have payment protection, and talk with the other party to free up any/all gray areas.

What I will say though, is that we should implement a similar rep system to a forum I used to frequent where you needed to earn rep before you could give rep. Something small, along the lines of about 2 green bars worth until you could actually give pos/neg rep. Also askign for rep should be a warning/infraction, or simply use the Karma train and neg rep them if they ask... they'll learn.

Reactions: iKermit

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,781 Posts
I think that having rep to sell parts is stupid tbh. You're telling me someone has to post something to deem favor in order to earn enough praise to sell his goods? Its the internet, you have to have a certain amount of trust here, and try and be smart about what you do, use paypal where you have payment protection, and talk with the other party to free up any/all gray areas.

What I will say though, is that we should implement a similar rep system to a forum I used to frequent where you needed to earn rep before you could give rep. Something small, along the lines of about 2 green bars worth until you could actually give pos/neg rep. Also askign for rep should be a warning/infraction, or simply use the Karma train and neg rep them if they ask... they'll learn.
Agreed. "Rep-Begging" should result in a warning/infraction and later a ban if done again.

The 2 bars till you can rep should be implented later when rep goes around a bit, if not it will take way too long for other members to rep.

·
Resident Derp
2,815 Posts
Agreed. "Rep-Begging" should result in a warning/infraction and later a ban if done again.

The 2 bars till you can rep should be implented later when rep goes around a bit, if not it will take way too long for other members to rep.
Although true, allowing only mods/admins have the ability to give rep out at first, will make sure that only those who truly made a contributing post, instead of for popularity or laughs get rep, as they will most likely continue the proper giving of rep from there on. It will start out slow, but will grow at a decent/fast pace.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,781 Posts
Although true, allowing only mods/admins have the ability to give rep out at first, will make sure that only those who truly made a contributing post, instead of for popularity or laughs get rep, as they will most likely continue the proper giving of rep from there on. It will start out slow, but will grow at a decent/fast pace.
Agreed.

·
Registered
718 Posts
I really think you guys need to think through the negative rep situation again. All that is going to do is set up more work for mods having to police unjustified negative rep.

I'm a member of the previously mentioned overclock.net community and their rep system doesn't work at all. They don't do the negative. But what happens with the positive makes it meaningless. If a person posts a comment that they hate Nvidia, all the AMD fanboys like the post and vice-versa. It's supposed to be about giving praise to someone that has helped the community but instead it's been turned into a joke.

·
Resident Derp
2,815 Posts
I really think you guys need to think through the negative rep situation again. All that is going to do is set up more work for mods having to police unjustified negative rep.

I'm a member of the previously mentioned overclock.net community and their rep system doesn't work at all. They don't do the negative. But what happens with the positive makes it meaningless. If a person posts a comment that they hate Nvidia, all the AMD fanboys like the post and vice-versa. It's supposed to be about giving praise to someone that has helped the community but instead it's been turned into a joke.
Coming from a forum with this system in place it became a joke quick, but with tweaks to the system they were able to make it fuction. It might not be perfect, but it didn't become a joke. Ultimately this rep system is always worth a try, and the deciding factor on whether or not it works comes down to the individual members of the forum. If you're on a forum for a game, or something that doesn't have a real life tangent, where members will encounter each other outside the internet; you tend to get more trolls, and therefore an implemented rep system becomes a joke.

Reactions: mcg75

·
Registered
718 Posts
Coming from a forum with this system in place it became a joke quick, but with tweaks to the system they were able to make it fuction. It might not be perfect, but it didn't become a joke. Ultimately this rep system is always worth a try, and the deciding factor on whether or not it works comes down to the individual members of the forum. If you're on a forum for a game, or something that doesn't have a real life tangent, where members will encounter each other outside the internet; you tend to get more trolls, and therefore an implemented rep system becomes a joke.
That is a very fair and valid point. The rep system is only as good as it's users. Thankfully Cruzetalk does have a much more mature user base than OCN.

·
Premium Member
5,005 Posts

No it's more for people that like to just come here to flip items or try to come on as vendors without paying. The 2 other forums I used to go on had like a 25 or 50 post minimum to sell. that's where I was going with that.

If someone is rep begging on the internet that will make them a very sad sad person and should be insta banned lol

I agree with this comment so there isn't people repping just to rep. Think VIP's and gear heads should be included too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
I agree with this comment so there isn't people repping just to rep. Think VIP's and gear heads should be included too.
How about a "get rep to give rep" policy. This would start out with the higher level members handing out rep where they think it is appropriate. Any member getting and maintaining a high enough rep would then be granted the privilege of giving rep. Should their rep drop below the required minimum they lose their rep giving privileges.

Come to think of it, this could be a great way of getting people into the VIP club. Anyone with a rep above a certain level becomes a VIP member and is granted rep priviliges, and is therefore encouraged to maintain their forum rep status should they not wish to be removed from the VIP club. How's them apples?

Oh, and how does the rep "meter" work? A new green square per so much rep? As far as I can tell, none of you are more rep'd than I am right now. Maybe I'll go to the gym more often and get even more rep'd.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,781 Posts
LOL.

We are working it out. And accepting all the input from y'all. We will keep you posted and i am also going to the gym but repping low for muscle mass. Wat

·
Resident Derp
2,815 Posts
How about a "get rep to give rep" policy. This would start out with the higher level members handing out rep where they think it is appropriate. Any member getting and maintaining a high enough rep would then be granted the privilege of giving rep. Should their rep drop below the required minimum they lose their rep giving privileges.

Come to think of it, this could be a great way of getting people into the VIP club. Anyone with a rep above a certain level becomes a VIP member and is granted rep priviliges, and is therefore encouraged to maintain their forum rep status should they not wish to be removed from the VIP club. How's them apples?

Oh, and how does the rep "meter" work? A new green square per so much rep? As far as I can tell, none of you are more rep'd than I am right now. Maybe I'll go to the gym more often and get even more rep'd.
Lol, this was one of the primary reasons why I suggested a rep system to Xtreme before it was released. Also, it should be ~100 rep per bar if I remember correctly.

·
Premium Member
4,645 Posts
OK, so I got some Rep now... 21 to be exact. I'm Rep'd.

I've been trying to dish out some Reps, but I keep getting messages that I need to "spread" some Reps around before I can rep the same people again. What the Rep?

Also, I can't tell who's been Rep'n me? I can see the threads I got Rep'd in and any comments related to the Rep, but no idea who's doin the Rep'n.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts