Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Got slight problem....?

510 5
It seems whenever I go on road trips, I will end with a CEL. The code is P0299(I know a turbo error). I think this is somehow connected to the problem I mentioned before where my radiator fan kick on and off intermittently. The engine does not overheat but the but the fan will not run consistently. I took it to one dealer and the "threw" a thermostat at it that did not correct the problem. Another dealer told me it was normal esp. after I told them what the first dealer and I responded it is not normal !! I had 9 of these cars and this is the first one to do this. Anyway when I drive the car around town no CEL but I still have the cooling fan issue? I am afraid if a dealer sees the P0299, they will throw a new turbo at it and since I just turned over 100000K it is not under warranty anymore? Any ideas? I researched about some cooling switches being bad.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· The Nuclear Option
5,780 Posts
Let's look at how P0299 is set. Let's say the computer calls for 8 psi of boost. It the boost sensor only sees 6.5 lbs of boost P0299 will be set as a pending code. If it sees that 2 more times within 3 run cycles, P0299 will become an active code and the check engine light will come on.

This could be because the wastgate actuator is getting weak or the wastgate actuator solinoid is malfunctioning.

Since GM doesn't sell wastgate actuators separately, they replace the entire turbo assembly.

The cooling fans seem tp come on almost every time ANY engine trouble code is set.

Now that I've gone through my spiel, are you mechanically inclined enough to do the diagnostics yourself?

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,807 Posts
Usually caused by a sticky wastegate hanging up (try moving it by hand and see if it feels gritty; some high temp grease at the pivot point can be a temporary fix) or a boost leak.

Usually happens at highway speeds where the car will attempt to use boost rather than a downshift to make torque.

· Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys great information and I wish I had the mechanical know how to fix it, but I made the decision to go to the dealer and just get it fixed! That's what being a computer programmer for 30 yrs did to my mechanical ability. This is the only problem I have had with the car and just want to get it going properly to work on my next 100000. I have had already had my shocks and struts replaced and 100K service done so may as well get these others fixed properly. I will look into the waste gate myself(if I can find it!) just for MFYI!!! so I know more than just changing oil and plugs etc. I will let you know what they find next week. If it comes down to the turbo, I guess I can say it made it to 100K before being problematic so I can say it did me well!!!!!

· Super Moderator
5,237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well I took the car to the dealer and the fan is on because the AC is on and that is normal and they could not recreate the P0299 and honestly I have not been able to recreate myself over the last 2K miles even driving on the highway! So I am just driving the car and as I said no problems so far/anymore !!! If the CEL comes on again I am not resetting just take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,807 Posts
Well I took the car to the dealer and the fan is on because the AC is on and that is normal and they could not recreate the P0299 and honestly I have not been able to recreate myself over the last 2K miles even driving on the highway! So I am just driving the car and as I said no problems so far/anymore !!! If the CEL comes on again I am not resetting just take it to the dealer and let them figure it out.
If the fan is running high and then off, this means the lower speeds are burnt out. It should run constantly on low speed with ac on.

hilly terrain and highway speeds are usually a good candidate for a P0299 to come back as the car tries to max out turbo boost before downshifting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts