Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So when my onstar is up in 3 months will I be able to use my mytouch gps? I rather not pay 399 for 2 years to have a gps and onstar... a tomtom is way cheaper. I know a old suburban could still use it after subscription was up although it wont be an updated map

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Voice turn by turn navigation, ha, since I am a male chauvinistic pig, don't like to be told when to turn. Turned down the volume on my Garmin's, just show me the maps. But turn by turn never worked for me anyway, live in an area with tall trees, that block OnStar and XM reception.

Would work sometimes when it was on trial period, but now dead, but still can hit that blue button and get someone to ask me for my CC number.

200 hundred bucks for a map update from your Chevy dealer with factory nav. So far received 42 map updates for free from Garmin, points of interest are always changing. That's 8,400 bucks worth of map updates, so far, not bad for a five inch GPS I paid 90 bucks for.

View attachment 158617

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
my point exact. well I live in a city so the signal is good. I do think that the gps will work after onstar is over but I wont have the call in for directions service but rather have to enter the physical address by hand. even if the maps are out dated major us roads don't change all that much

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Favorites list is getting rather long, can save this on my computer and transfer it to a new unit. We actually got a new interstate that helped, and points of interest.

Couple of months ago, wife said I really have to go, hit points of interest, was a gas station 3 miles, ahead. Said, can you hold it or should I pull over?

If anywhere, can hit save this location, you just have to give it a name. For unknown places, get into google maps, press on what's here, get the longitude and latitude, key that in and give it a name. Had to do this for my two sons that moved to new subdivisions that weren't even on the maps yet, ha, showed me driving through a field. Same for our trip to Italy, really need GPS there, haven't heard of road identification or street signs.

Can program it for the fastest or shortest distance, watch out for that shortest distance, may have a traffic signal every half a block. Also walk mode for walking in the woods. For these places, can unclip it and put it in my pocket. But only two hours of battery life.

Others have different ways to mount it, on mine, removed that worthless suction cup, traced the base to a piece of 20 mil brass, left a tab at the rear that I bend over to clip unto that unsnappable left vent panel, fully reversible, no holes in the dash. Also hard wired it into the fuse panel underneath, just soldered a lead to the OnStar fuse and plugged that fuse back in. Wife didn't like that location until she drives the Cruze, just takes a glance at eye level with the IP.

· Premium Member
3,857 Posts
Was one of the decision points for me when I was car shopping. The Nav in my car has turn by turn free for life (graphic and audio) and everything is stored on the SD drive in the Nav unit. The unit also does off map tracking so anytime I go "off road" it stores the route for future use. Yes, it cost twice what the Nav unit cost for the Cruze in 2013, but since I plan on keeping the car for over a decade, I figured the break even was well within that period.

· Registered
16 Posts
I noticed on the onstar app you can send directions to your car - will this end in the trial period too? What all do you retain after the trial period? Will the app work still (for like fuel level and tire pressures and stuff?)

· Registered
67 Posts
I noticed on the onstar app you can send directions to your car - will this end in the trial period too? What all do you retain after the trial period? Will the app work still (for like fuel level and tire pressures and stuff?)
The RemoteLink key fob works for 5yrs if you have a 2014 or newer car.
The On-Star directions (ie: pressing the On-Star button and asking them to send you directions to the nearest *whatever*) will go away when the trial is up.
The in-dash Nav will still work; it has nothing to do with OnStar.

I wish you could buy JUST the remote link app - there's no way I'd pay monthly for full OnStar services (I never use it), but the app is neat.

· Premium Member
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ok thanks guys. that's what I needed. I would hate if the in dash system would no longer be operable without onstar

· Banned
9,198 Posts
Watched a youtube on OnStar navigation, get into google maps, pick your route, then save it to your OnStar account. Will be transmitted via the internet, then via satellite and will will be in your car when you walk out.

Be darned if I could find that save function. Another one showed written instructions on the DIC, guess I didn't play with mine long enough to learn this. But if displaying navigation, don't know how fast you are driving, that analog speedometer is next to worthless, steering wheel blocks this.

Ha, somehow managed to get by for over 50 years without GPS, had to get city maps and memorized the route. Traveled all over the US, Canada, and Mexico and got maps from car rentals. But at times switch it off when it says 372 miles to a right turn. 372, an hour later, 371, etc. Drives me nuts.

Also, if you really know the roads, their choice of getting there isn't always the best.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.