Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recieved my GrafxWerks decals for the front and back bowtie on Monday, and finally applied them on Friday in the afternoon. Following the instructions to a T, I thought I had them lined up properly and everything, the front one wasn't perfect but I was happy enough with it. Yesterday, I'm getting ready to leave my house, and when I look at the bowtie, it was split strait down the middle! Like someone pulled the two pieces apart. I was really upset (especially after how hard I worked to install it) so I went to check the back one, and the same thing! It was like the vinyl just stretched past its limits.

I can't understand it, I feel like I must of done something wrong. It was 75 F out, so I think it was warm enough, the car had been washed and dried, and I took my time. I was really upset, so I took the decals off and threw them away, and ordered another pair. Hopefully this time I won't have the same issue? Bummer because it was $21.00 wasted on them.

Did anyone else have a problem with them stretching or splitting? Any tips on what I can do to prevent that from happening next time?

·
Premium Member
333 Posts
No problems here other than getting the front one lined up right. I'm betting you just stretched them too far. Once night rolls around they'll try to shrink a little bit and if their already at their yield point, they'll break.

Just my guess though

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I already e-mailed him. I'm pretty sure I did stretch them too far (although they didn't really stretch much) and I already ordered a second set. I just hope I can get them right the second time. Its like screen protectors for phones, I can never line them up right, or remove all the air bubbles.

·
Premium Member
2,859 Posts
did u wash your car right after you applied the decals MaximusPrime???

·
Premium Member
2,475 Posts
That's good to know! I'll keep that in mind the second time I make my attempt. Did you guys mist the front one with the water like the instructions suggested?
No, but there was some accidental water left over that sat inbetween the gold/chrome or inner/outer portion of the emblem that kind of leaked under the emblem the first time I did it. Second time I didn't use any water

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts
I bought a 15"x15" sheet (enough to do at least 6 badges) of metallic silver vinyl from a local sign shop for $10. I cut a piece big enough to cover the badge, stuck it on completely covering the badge and then trimmed off the excess around it with a razor blade. I even messed up my first try at applying it by getting a small wrinkle so i tore it off and did it again. I can't believe you guys are paying so much for precut overlays and if you mess up applying them they're ruined...

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Skilz, I work as a Network Administrator. I'm really good at typing on computers, solving logistical problems, and configuring any number of firewalls, or LDAP servers to do what I want it to do.

However when it comes to cutting things, eye-hand coordination, lining things up, or manual labor? I couldn't be worse. I'd love to be able to cut these out myself, but I'd ruin my paint, or injure myself in someway. That is just how it ends up.

·
Lyrical Wordsmith
6,748 Posts
Skilz, I work as a Network Administrator. I'm really good at typing on computers, solving logistical problems, and configuring any number of firewalls, or LDAP servers to do what I want it to do.

However when it comes to cutting things, eye-hand coordination, lining things up, or manual labor? I couldn't be worse. I'd love to be able to cut these out myself, but I'd ruin my paint, or injure myself in someway. That is just how it ends up.
Same here..

Lol i'm partially with Maximus. NOC tech and I'm terrible at eye-balling and cutting things..
My first job was as a stock boy/general store inquiries and i remember my manager once telling me "Im going to ask you to NOT put posters up or stickers on doors anymore my neck hurts"

·
Premium Member
1,142 Posts

I think you totally missed my point...

It is much EASIER and CHEAPER to do what i did rather than trying to line up a pre-cut overlay.

Cut a piece of vinyl bigger than the badge you are covering and then stick it down. Then simply run a razor around the badge to cut off excess vinyl, there is even a gap between the color part of the badge and the chrome to guide the razor. Its takes less skill to do this then trying to line up a pre-cut badge without messing it up.

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Didn't miss your point at all. What you are suggesting is taking a razor blade to the vinyl which is up against my car and what I said to you, is that I don't have very good coordination.

Neither of these tasks are easier for me, but trying to cut the perfect bowtie vs. lining one up? I'll take the latter.

EDIT: About the gap between the outline and the badge; they may work if you're good with a razor, but I'm not, and I'd end up damaging something.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.