Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have had a 2012 LTZ 1.4l cruze since June 2013 with push to start, got it with 24k miles and now at 72k and some. The car has been great and I have picked up a few mods from this forum such as interior leds from diode dynamics, hids from the retrofit store, trifecta tune from BNR, and even bought a used k&n intake from a member. Havent posted much in the past, as they say when there is no issues nobody hears about it.

Unfortunately now I have an issue and Im reaching out to help or maybe clearer answers. I looked through the forum and did not find a specific solution, threads are started but OPs never return with a fix. Tried a few ideas read online and am running out of what else to try.

Issue: Car is push to start and when I am ready to turn car on it just wont start. All lights come on from the dashboard including the service theft deterrent system, service power steering, emergency lights, wipers come on and sometimes my trunk opens.
This happens daily, morning before work and at work before going home. Happens any time I need to drive for that fact unless its been 5 minutes since the car was running.

The way to start the car and has been spot on every time has been like this. First try: on button and all lights come on but car doesnt turn on, click the on/off button again to turn everything off. Open driver door then close door, press on again and it works. However, the "Service theft deterrent system" light stays on even when i drive.

Important notable details.
Outside of warranty
Battery has been replaced once over a year ago from what it came with when i bought car (wondering if this could be a battery issue but the car always turns on after a few tries)
I do have aftermarket pioneer amp, sub and speakers installed. (Had them on the car a month after purchase)
HID harness directly to battery, had HIDs on for over a year.
Remote start doesnt work.
Tried different key fobs.
Battery cables look fine, no corrosion.
Unplugged battery, plug back in works first start but issue comes back next morning.
No other electrical issues before.

Any recommended advice would be great. If you have had this come up how did you fix?

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
I second the negative battery cable. If you've never had it done, you should. Also, you mentioned trying different key fobs, but did they have fresh batteries? What happens if you hold the fob close to the start button? (I've heard this on other forums, not necessarily Cruze specific)

·
10,712 Posts
I second the negative battery cable. If you've never had it done, you should. Also, you mentioned trying different key fobs, but did they have fresh batteries? What happens if you hold the fob close to the start button? (I've heard this on other forums, not necessarily Cruze specific)
Cruze has a spot under the parking brake to inset the key. PB is down so I can't post pics of the odly shaped rubber mat to lift up.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Try to get your car somewhere where they can check for any codes set. There's any number of things that could be bad and causing the problem. For your part:
  • Make sure nothing is plugged into the OBDC connector. Things plugged into there could be interfering with the modules talking to each other.
  • Make sure you don't have any radar detectors or dash cams mounted near the middle rearview mirror. There's a receiver in there that has to hear your fob.
  • Make sure your fob is "in the clear" and there's nothing by it that could interfere with it receiving a magnetic field or transmitting a radio signal.
If it's not that, then something is probably wrong with the car. If I had to guess, I'd say one of the car's magnetic antennas are bad.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sounds like a bad battery cable despite the way they might appear?
Thanks for all the replies. Had not heard about the bad negative cables until now. Read quite a few pages, that is very similar but not a lot are claiming a "anti theft deterrent system" light staying on. A lot of the electrical issues seem similar but I have not had issues with my power steering going out or loss of power. I did notice today my air pressure sensors are not reading. They were there right before this issue started. I have not had the negative cable replaced since I bough the car with 24k miles in 2013. I'll have to check if that is my issue. I'll read again and check if there was a way to check the cable is bad.

What does the voltage read in the DIC?
Checked DIC voltage, 14.4 once it starts after a couple of tries.
Goes down to 14.1 few seconds later. I think this is about what I have always seen the voltage so m thinking that's right?

Second key fob I tried was brand new as I have always had it stored. Battery was replaced before trying to start the car. Starting issue was still there with new key. Forgot to try key close to the start button and see if it makes a difference. Will try that tomorrow.

Try to get your car somewhere where they can check for any codes set. There's any number of things that could be bad and causing the problem. For your part:
  • Make sure nothing is plugged into the OBDC connector. Things plugged into there could be interfering with the modules talking to each other.
  • Make sure you don't have any radar detectors or dash cams mounted near the middle rearview mirror. There's a receiver in there that has to hear your fob.
  • Make sure your fob is "in the clear" and there's nothing by it that could interfere with it receiving a magnetic field or transmitting a radio signal.
If it's not that, then something is probably wrong with the car. If I had to guess, I'd say one of the car's magnetic antennas are bad.
Havent had a check engine light so didn't even try to check for codes but good idea thank you. I don't have anything plugged into the OBDC connector. Never had any radar detectors or dash cams and nothing hangs from the mirror. I have tried 2 key fobs, in my pockets, holding them in my hand and leaving them on my lap. Same result each time.
Weird thing is I can always turn it on the second try. My routine is: first I push ON and starter cranks once and doesn't turn on so I push OFF to turn everything off. I open driver door then close it and push ON again. This time it starts but I hear the starter crank twice before the car turns on.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I did notice today my air pressure sensors are not reading. They were there right before this issue started.
You may have a receiver going deaf. The same receiver is used for the TPMS and the Fob. However, if the car can't hear the fob, I'd expect it to say something along that line.

Weird thing is I can always turn it on the second try. My routine is: first I push ON and starter cranks once and doesn't turn on so I push OFF to turn everything off. I open driver door then close it and push ON again. This time it starts but I hear the starter crank twice before the car turns on.
Now this sounds like a different issue. Possibly weak fuel pump. The pump can't build pressure on one try, but after a second run, there's enough fuel pressure to run the engine. But that doesn't explain the other stuff.

Note that in my car, if I open the door and close it again, the horn gives a rapid series of beeps. The car thinks I've left the fob inside the car. But if it's not doing that, then it makes me think it didn't hear the fob the first time.

Reactions: Merc6
1 - 9 of 9 Posts