Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey gang, I had to take the Cruze in to the dealer since I had 2 more weeks on warranty. I was leaking anti-freeze and it was green so apparently someone put it in instead of Dexcool. That used to be a really bad thing and I was wondering if it still is...

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Its just as bad as it used to be. Who was this 'somebody' who stuck you with Green anti freeze? What did the Dealer do, did they fix your leak. I would think they wouldn't touch it as a warranty claim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
They replaced the broken drain line. We just bought this car from a Toyota dealer and I suspect that's where it's from.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess I'll have to find someone to flush the crap out of it...

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
It's fine. If the colors aren't mixed, and it's entirely green, don't worry about it. Change it in 3 years vs 5 for Dexcool.

If they are mixed...that's another story.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Another good question, GM is red, everybody else is green, read the safety information on either, both can cause kidney damage if you breathe the fumes, and the freezing temperature ratios are about the same depending on the mixture ratios.

Could it be one is using a red dye and the other a green dye? Chemical composition is about the same.

Something I have never questioned before, have two bottles sitting high on my shelf, one is red, the other is green. Just read the owners manual as to what color to use. Both brag about extended life.

What I do not buy is that crazy premixed stuff, gallon of distilled water is only about 70 cents, so why should I pay almost the same price for a gallon for half water?

Who came up with that Dexcool name anyway, with engine operation temperatures in the 195-220*F range, it ain't anything like cool.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ended up erring on the side of caution and had everything flushed and put Dexcool in. I guess I'd rather spend a few $$$ now than a lot later... Thanks for everyone's help. NickD, I'm glad they have premixed for those of us that don't have room for a lot of fluids. Gotta have more room for ammo!!

Reactions: obermd

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,479 Posts
Another good question, GM is red, everybody else is green, read the safety information on either, both can cause kidney damage if you breathe the fumes, and the freezing temperature ratios are about the same depending on the mixture ratios.

Could it be one is using a red dye and the other a green dye? Chemical composition is about the same.

Something I have never questioned before, have two bottles sitting high on my shelf, one is red, the other is green. Just read the owners manual as to what color to use. Both brag about extended life.

What I do not buy is that crazy premixed stuff, gallon of distilled water is only about 70 cents, so why should I pay almost the same price for a gallon for half water?

Who came up with that Dexcool name anyway, with engine operation temperatures in the 195-220*F range, it ain't anything like cool.
I've seen green, blue, orange, red, pink, and yellow/clear-ish.

Every mfr pretty much has their own composition, but generally, you either have a OAT (organic acid technology) or HOAT (hybrid) in your car. You can buy universal things as long as it's a similar composition and the same type of coolant.

Dex-cool is an OAT coolant. Japanese and European cars often use a HOAT, and I believe older Chrysler products do as well.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
And they all have to be Burped .....

Reactions: Tomko

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I ended up erring on the side of caution and had everything flushed and put Dexcool in. I guess I'd rather spend a few $$$ now than a lot later... Thanks for everyone's help. NickD, I'm glad they have premixed for those of us that don't have room for a lot of fluids. Gotta have more room for ammo!!
Not easy to get a 60-40 mix with premix, we can drop as far a -45*F up here, and this is absolute, on wind chill.

Orange and yellow rings a bell, but not blue or pink, with the latter, could be dexcool, with a 1-99 mix. LOL.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think you did the right thing. If you did not put the coolant in yourself, and did not know what was added. But, using the universal coolant is fine. I've been using it since it came out, and has never given me any problems. The coolant I use is a lighter green than conventional coolant, and will mix with Dexcool without any issues for topping off. Then when I change coolant at recommended times, just drain and flush old, and add the new universal. I've done this with all my GM vehicles, and never had an issue. I even compared the ingredients on the Dexcool with that of the universal coolant I use, and it is the same, other than the color. Doesn't really matter the brand or color, just as long as it has the same ingredients. Now in the Honda Civic I own, I only using Honda blue coolant. As previously stated, they use HOAT, and I've seen folks really mess up by using other coolants in those vehicles.

·
10,712 Posts
I've seen green, blue, orange, red, pink, and yellow/clear-ish.

Every mfr pretty much has their own composition, but generally, you either have a OAT (organic acid technology) or HOAT (hybrid) in your car. You can buy universal things as long as it's a similar composition and the same type of coolant.

Dex-cool is an OAT coolant. Japanese and European cars often use a HOAT, and I believe older Chrysler products do as well.
Yeah Subaru is super blue (and super expensive) and Prestone Yellow mix with anything says do not mix with Prestone dexcool probably for that reason.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Not easy to get a 60-40 mix with premix, we can drop as far a -45*F up here, and this is absolute, on wind chill.

Orange and yellow rings a bell, but not blue or pink, with the latter, could be dexcool, with a 1-99 mix. LOL.
If we're anywhere that it's that cold we're in the wrong place!! LOL!:hellno:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts