Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, everyone...

I've been perusing this forum for some time now and figured I might as well join up and help out when I can. I've got a 2011 Cruze Eco, manual transmission, and have owned it since new. I just made the last payment on it today! I've driven it from Michigan to California and back. It's been driven in everything from -30 F cold to 110 F degree desert heat.

This is my first Chevy and mine has been trouble prone, but has never left me stranded. Happily, the dealer service departments have been able to cheerfully fix all the issues first time, every time. That's a refreshing change from the Ford service departments I've done business with over the years. I'll likely drive GM cars exclusively from now on.

I've never owned a car that I've liked as much as the Cruze. Am hoping to keep mine as long as possible...and maybe even add an '11 LS automatic to the stable for bombing around town.

·
Super Moderator
7,804 Posts
Well done young man!

Reactions: Rivergoer and Ursa

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hi, everyone...

I've been perusing this forum for some time now and figured I might as well join up and help out when I can. I've got a 2011 Cruze Eco, manual transmission, and have owned it since new. I just made the last payment on it today! I've driven it from Michigan to California and back. It's been driven in everything from -30 F cold to 110 F degree desert heat.

This is my first Chevy and mine has been trouble prone, but has never left me stranded. Happily, the dealer service departments have been able to cheerfully fix all the issues first time, every time. That's a refreshing change from the Ford service departments I've done business with over the years. I'll likely drive GM cars exclusively from now on.

I've never owned a car that I've liked as much as the Cruze. Am hoping to keep mine as long as possible...and maybe even add an '11 LS automatic to the stable for bombing around town.
Congrats on paying off your car. Now, hopefully when car is out of powertrain warranty it won't fail on you like it did on me ;). Good luck man!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Congrats on paying off your car. Now, hopefully when car is out of powertrain warranty it won't fail on you like it did on me ;). Good luck man!
Funny you should mention that. I bought an extended warranty to get a special finance rate - 6 years/120,000 miles. It expires tomorrow. Transmission failed last week. It's at the dealer now for replacement.

Reactions: jblackburn

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Funny you should mention that. I bought an extended warranty to get a special finance rate - 6 years/120,000 miles. It expires tomorrow. Transmission failed last week. It's at the dealer now for replacement.
Ugh. Stupid M32. Whine in 5/6?

·
Registered
33 Posts
And here I was thinking about buying Chevy Traverse... seems like I should only do that if I buy additional warranties. After 5 years seems like problems just start piling up.

Just curious - what is your mileage? And you had car for last 6 years, correct?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ugh. Stupid M32. Whine in 5/6?
Yup. Noise came on very gradually; thought it was a wheel bearing failing or a dried-out CV joint.

A couple of weeks ago, tooling around metro Grand Rapids on a 90-degree F day, 5th started to really howl. Imagine my surprise upon learning that it wasn't a bearing or CV joint...as you can see from my list of former rides, this is my fifth manual-trans car. Never had trouble of any kind with manual transmissions 'til now.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,486 Posts
Yup. Noise came on very gradually; thought it was a wheel bearing failing or a dried-out CV joint.

A couple of weeks ago, tooling around metro Grand Rapids on a 90-degree F day, 5th started to really howl. Imagine my surprise upon learning that it wasn't a bearing or CV joint...as you can see from my list of former rides, this is my fifth manual-trans car. Never had trouble of any kind with manual transmissions 'til now.
I figured the same...not much to go wrong, and they've been building them for 100 years! Surely they know how to make a reliable MT.

Nope. Everything in my whole stupid driveline shook itself apart. And I thought I heard that 5/6 whine starting before it was replaced too.

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/25-gen1-service-issues/180930-m32-transmission-saga-finally-over.html

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Just curious - what is your mileage? And you had car for last 6 years, correct?
The mileage is just under 109,000. And I've had it for exactly six years as of today.

I certainly wouldn't have bought the supplemental warranty if not for the finance incentive. A car that I've owned since new, maintained meticulously, and never abused should have no need for one, don't you think?

Oddly, the only two cars I've bought warranties for--the Cruze and the '96 Aspire--have had transmission failures.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Congrats, payoff is a big deal for sure. Bummer about the transmission.

I don't know what replacement/rebuild cost is but it's gotta be much cheaper than a new car.

Thanks for joining and sharing some good information!

·
Registered
33 Posts
The mileage is just under 109,000. And I've had it for exactly six years as of today.

I certainly wouldn't have bought the supplemental warranty if not for the finance incentive. A car that I've owned since new, maintained meticulously, and never abused should have no need for one, don't you think?

Oddly, the only two cars I've bought warranties for--the Cruze and the '96 Aspire--have had transmission failures.
That was my thinking also - buy to own. Now after 5 years and only 17000 miles my Chevy Cruze 2012 is starting to fall apart... rethinking if I should plan to sink in $1000 every year into the car or just buy a new one.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That was my thinking also - buy to own. Now after 5 years and only 17000 miles my Chevy Cruze 2012 is starting to fall apart... rethinking if I should plan to sink in $1000 every year into the car or just buy a new one.
It's always a tough call, but there's a point when you know you've got a stinker of a car and it's time to bail out. I had to trade in my first brand-new car, a 2000 Taurus, at 58,000 miles because the motor knocked and Ford couldn't/wouldn't fix it. I had really looked forward to keeping that one around for at least ten years.

Had my Cruze tranny not been covered by warranty, I'd be facing a $3300 bill right now. Believe me, I'd trade 'er in if it came to spending that much on it.

·
Registered
589 Posts

With the new trans you should easily have another 100K+, we've seen several Cruzes on the forum now with 2, 3 and even 400K. If you havent already check out the high mileage badge thread at http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-general-discussion/119969-high-mileage-badges.html It will build your confidence in the car!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Congratulations on paying off your Cruze. Hopefully you don't have happen to you what happened to me - hail damage two months after I paid my 2012 ECO MT off resulting in the car being totaled by my insurance company.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Congratulations on paying off your Cruze. Hopefully you don't have happen to you what happened to me - hail damage two months after I paid my 2012 ECO MT off resulting in the car being totaled by my insurance company.
OUCH! Hurts just to read that...Hence the Volt LT?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Congrats and enjoy the no payment lifestyle ;-)

Reactions: Ursa

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats and enjoy the no payment lifestyle ;-)
Heh, heh...now I can save up for a second car, and pay cash! Thinking of either an '11 Cruze LS, or maybe an '08 Saturn Astra...would be nice to have a hatchback. Either way, it'll be an automatic-equipped car for tooling around town.

Reactions: Rivergoer
1 - 20 of 20 Posts