Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Grinding during a hard shift to 2nd

50670 Views 162 Replies 38 Participants Last post by  jandree22
I am having a quick grind when I am doing a hard 1 to 2 shift. I have heard it once on a straight, but predominantly on a left hand turn. Possibly because I have more left hand turns. I don't have the grinding under "normal" driving conditions, but I have some stretches where I need to go from a stop and pretty much hit WOT from 1st to 2nd to merge into traffic. Is anyone else experiencing this?

I have seen the threads involving clunks and grinding while cold, but this will happen even after driving down the road at 60 for 15 minutes long after the car has warmed up. Pull up to the stop sign, do a hard acceleration bit, shift, grind.

I'd like to take it in, but I'm not sure if the synchros are just not built for hard driving.
Reactions: izzyizz
1 - 20 of 163 Posts

· Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Try shifting a little lower in the RPM range. I'm just taking a wild guess but I imagine you're shifting at redline?
It happened yesterday shifting right at 5k.

In the old car I had a 2-3 synchro out and it was behaving just like this. You guys may be right, though and I may just be too fast for the car. Rallycrossing I was always hard into 2nd from 1st and fast and right at 6700 (just at rev limit), but never had any problems. Perhaps this is another "getting used to the car" thing.

· Premium Member
1,930 Posts
Could be a bad synchro but more than likely you are shifting faster than the stock clutch will disengage. Try delaying the shift a little more after you push the clutch and see if it still does it.

· Registered
207 Posts
It happens to me too when doing quick shifts at high rpm. What I have noticed on the fault of myself, is I am not fully depressing the clutch pedal. Unfortunately it is not like my old car, which didn't mind quick high rpm shifts.

· Registered
33 Posts
My experience has been the same as most. Just real high rpms and pulled the stick faster than my foot can throw the clutch in. I assume everybody else's grinding has been just a fraction of a second like me right? May end poorly if it was much longer lol

· Registered
29 Posts
Same here on my Eco; light grinding from 1-2 when I shift quickly above 4500 rpm... it did it pretty badly a few weeks ago when I shifted a bit above 5000. I will say the 1-2-3 shifts have been notchy since ~1200 miles, took it to dealership to see if clutch linkage needed adjusting, they said normal. With that being their response, if it breaks it breaks and they can figure it out after the fact - I'm not going to baby this thing...

· Premium Member
5,048 Posts
Yep, my transmission's pretty notchy too. Sometimes it goes into gear just fine, other times it doesn't want to go into 4th and a double-clutch is needed. It also doesn't always enjoy getting shifted going uphill. The dealers around me have no other manual Cruzes to compare to, so they aren't doing anything about it now.

It's got 5 years and 100,032 miles to break, so if it gets worse they can deal with it.

I wonder if new MTF would solve any problems. Changing the MTF worked wonders in my old Hyundai's manual transmission.

· Premium Member
1,930 Posts
I'd be willing to bet this is the factory hydraulics not being able to keep up with the driver. It has been common in many GM applications as of late.

· Premium Member
646 Posts
I have had it happen to me a few times, and its always been 2nd gear...

1. WOT 1st gear
2. Clutch in and shift
3. As the gear selected goes into 2nd i hear the slight grind as my foot is still fully depressed on the clutch.

:(

· Registered
33 Posts
I'd guess the running theme is the car. VVV
You know that could be a possibility, or it is just that we are just as good as semi-automatic F1 transmissions and just too fast for our own good.... just saying.

1 - 20 of 163 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.