Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

guess my mileage

Tags
guess mileage
4K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  langdon_82 
#1 ·
We are considering buying the Eco w/ M6 tranny. Its main competitor is the Prius.

We know the Prius will do better - the question is how much better. We do about 80% of our driving on country roads (speed limit of 55, stop at a stop sign every mile or two), and 20% suburban.

Anybody want to estimate what kind of actual mileage we would get?

For those of you seeing 40+...are most of your miles on highways at 65+ MPH?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I don't know what kind of mileage you'd get, but I do know hybrids get optimum fuel mileage in city driving. If you're driving in the country mostly 55 mph your better off with a regular gas car. It'll be cheaper and fuel consumption difference will be minimum.

#3 ·
I agree with the above. The hybrids really excel at city driving MPG gains. They shut the engine off when your stopped and use the electric assist on frequent stopping and acceleration. I did not like the feel of them so be sure to test drive one before you buy. The Honda Insight was a complete dog and it is a little unnerving at first when your car shuts down when your at a light. If your not doing city, I would get straight gas. Less parts, less to go wrong and pretty close on fuel mileage. Your driving situation sounds like it would be well suited to an eco. Sounds like best mileage on these cars is mellow driving in the 45-55 range....

#4 ·
According to fueleconomy.gov the Prius is rated 51 city/48 highway and the cruze eco is 28 city/42 highway. I currently live in an area similar to yours with speed limits and stops signs every two miles or so. My current tank is getting 43 mpg. When I am on the highway holding at 60 mph my scangauge shows me as getting nearly 53 mpg. If you drive the cruze slow, with in the speed limit, and no excessive braking you can easily exceed the EPA estimates. If you plan to stay away from the city the cheaper cruze eco may be the way to go.

#5 ·
Driving a Prius does not guarentee excellant fuel economy. The important element is how you drive. Unless you are constantly aware of how you drive, and you don't do any 'spirited' driving, then the Prius may be for you. Any deviation from conservative driving with a Prius will render its fuel efficiency null and void.

#7 ·
We have a similar siutation geographically, however we have a LOT of hills and hairpin turns so you constantly have to scrub off speed for a tight turn, then go up hills just after so it's not optimal.

Right now we're getting 38.5 MPG. Probably 10% City, 20% highway and 70% with what I just described.

The Prius would be better without trying, but I did the math and I'd rather pay the $15-$25 more a month in gas to have a nice, safe, turbocharged stickshift car that's fun to drive. Plus it already saved me over $75 a month in gas over my 08 Aura XR

#8 ·
Do you mind if I ask what you drive now? Quite honestly, the difference between an ECO and a Prius is quite negligble. It'd take more than 8 years for gas to pay for that difference. Definitely pick the car you'd be happy with and would have fun driving. I have an ECO and I love it. I've driven my mom's Prius from time to time and it's very dull - not to mention I just found out how appalling the turning radius is. I had to do a three point turn where my ECO coul make the U-turn with 5 feet to spare.
And I'm assuming you're doing this for your own benefit and not the environment's but I'll throw it out anyway: over the entire production and lifespan, a Prius is more damaging to the environment than a Hummer. The production of those batteries has created miles and miles of dead terrain.

#9 ·
Do you mind if I ask what you drive now?
Our other car is a Vibe. Our next car will be replacing a '99 Outback.

Quite honestly, the difference between an ECO and a Prius is quite negligble. It'd take more than 8 years for gas to pay for that difference.
I don't think it's that simple. How and where you drive the car will have a large impact.

Definitely pick the car you'd be happy with and would have fun driving. I have an ECO and I love it. I've driven my mom's Prius from time to time and it's very dull - not to mention I just found out how appalling the turning radius is. I had to do a three point turn where my ECO coul make the U-turn with 5 feet to spare.
And I'm assuming you're doing this for your own benefit and not the environment's but I'll throw it out anyway: over the entire production and lifespan, a Prius is more damaging to the environment than a Hummer. The production of those batteries has created miles and miles of dead terrain.
One of the reasons we want a car w/ high MPG is because we want to use less oil.

Do you have a reference for the claim you make above? I saw something similar last year which had ridiculous assumptions, such as the Prius lasting 100K miles and the Hummer lasting 300K miles...

#10 ·
Feh

I think the reason he said that the difference between the two is negligable is because of the up front cost difference of the 2 vehicles. Unless you are planning to get a used Prius that is cost similar. The difference in the $7000+ up front cost can make Prius(Monthly Payment + Gas) >= Cruze(Monthly Payment + Gas) for several years.

#11 ·
Yes, I understand that. And your number is correct - the Prius is roughly $7000 more than the Cruze (at the trim levels we're considering).

We are planning on buying a Cruze, but only because the difference in mileage probably will be pretty small (roughly 5 MPG), by my estimate. However, if both cars were driven primarily in city traffic, the difference would probably be more like 20 MPG, which would change the computations significantly.

#12 · (Edited)
@ Feh

It also depends on how you drive city. My best milage on this car so far is city driving. I assume that by wanting to use less oil, you are saying you are more eco friendly?

I just recently got 46 mpg city, I have achived above 42 city on multiple occations so its not a fluke. With slow accelerations, coastings, and driving in the highest gear possible its easy to achieve 40+ city. Even in Downtown Toronto on the weekend at night I was able to get 37 - 39 city.

At 55 - 60 mph you will probably see 47 - 50. I have gotten 52mpg @ 64 mph but that required truck drafting.

#13 ·
@ Feh

It also depends on how you drive city. My best milage on this car so far is city driving. I assume that by wanting to use less oil, you are saying you are more eco friendly?
Better for the environment, but also better for my wallet and the nation.

I just recently got 46 mpg city, I have achived above 42 city on multiple occations so its not a fluke. With slow accelerations, coastings, and driving in the highest gear possible its easy to achieve 40+ city. Even in Downtown Toronto on the weekend at night I was able to get 37 - 39 city.

At 55 - 60 mph you will probably see 47 - 50. I have gotten 52mpg @ 64 mph but that required truck drafting.
Wow! I'm hoping we can average 40. Anything over that will be icing on the cake.

What type of transmission? I'm shocked your city numbers are so much higher than the EPA numbers.

#14 ·
12000 miles / year (since you have other vehicles)
divided by 38 MPG (I'll use LESS than what I'm getting in my terribly hilly area)

316 gallons of fuel used that year

Divided by 12 months is about 26 gallons of fuel per month.

My friend got a brand new Prius he says he is getting under 50 combined, but we'll use 50 miles / gallon.

That's 20 gallons of fuel per month.

6 gallons different. Depending on where you live, for me that would be $24 a month difference in fuel cost.

For $24 a month, I'd prefer my better looking, safer, faster, better handling, turbocharged, MORE fun to drive 6 speed Eco.

But that's just me.

For even more fun, I'll drive my Supra :)

#18 ·
because the majority of the North American Population does not know how to drive stick---or their spoiled with the AT and don't want to drive stick anymore --or.....etc.....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.