Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if any fellow Cruzers have had success with any of the various GVIF Interface Units available online?

The most common one seems to be the NAV-TV piece:

NAV-TV Corporation: GVIF-CTS camera input module for GM/Cadillac vehicles

But there are also cheaper alternatives available, mostly Korean and German product.

Some of the units even have in-built GPS, and most of have decent support for aftermarket GPS (some even with touchscreen capabilities). This is probably more attractive for non-nav mylink systems... But for the nav guys (pre-mylink and beyond), there's also the bonus of backup camera for cars that don't have one, and also fun stuff like xbox or playstation for people who spend too much time in their cars...

Basically, GVIF is the connection used between the silverbox and display on the Cruze models with Factory Nav or full colour display (both pre-mylink and mylink), it's used in quite a few cars including Cadillacs, Lexus, Nissan etc... So there's a few products floating around. These units sit in-line on that connection and allow video override for different things, usually triggered via: reverse camera signal, infrared remote or toggle switch.

The reason I ask, is that I'm currently working out the cleanest way to integrate a backup camera into my car (I love the factory nav/radio so am trying to keep it if possible), and am tossing up between something to utilise the factory screen / or / something using a rearview mirror monitor? There are other benefits to the GVIF interface units for my overall system - but the primary goal is a backup camera for safety reasons.

Keen to see if anyone else has been down this path yet? :eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Just a quick update on this. I have a lead on a unit that is half the price (locally) of the nav-tv piece.

Keen viewers may notice the the silver boxes in the first 2 pictures are almost identical (also shots of the config gui are identical). Apparently the nav-tv unit is made by a company out of Korea called QDIS (qdis - not a complete catalogue) with the nav-tv logo on a sticker ($400 sticker in this country).

The QDIS distributor assures me the units are identical - I hope to get hold of one after I move house over the holiday period.

I'll be sure to post up the results and any model numbers for others looking for something similar.

·
Premium Member
2,495 Posts
The middle piece is an intrafex unit shi(t), Nav tv makes good stuff generally. I am not familiar with the bottom piece. I have installed four intraphex nav add ons and they all come back aor dont work out of the box. To be honest I have tried several companies and they are all junk. The nav tv unit appears to be the same as that unit so I wouldnt touch it with a 10 ft pole

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
The middle piece is an intrafex unit shi(t), Nav tv makes good stuff generally. I am not familiar with the bottom piece. I have installed four intraphex nav add ons and they all come back aor dont work out of the box. To be honest I have tried several companies and they are all junk. The nav tv unit appears to be the same as that unit so I wouldnt touch it with a 10 ft pole
Thanks mate good info! It's really hard to get honest info from people with experience over here. If it's not a commodore (Pontiac G8) no one knows anything about it lol

Funny thing is the nav-tv piece is more expensive in aus than going with an aftermarket double din deck (factoring in the $400 dash and integration kit). A non nav unit, but something with car play...

Looks like that may be the way to go for reverse camera - that or a mirror setup.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts