Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Cracked open my 2018 headlight switch on a quest to neuter the forced AUTO headlight feature found across many if not all GM vehicles today. Unlike older switch types where the switch would default back into the AUTO mode via spring guide, the Cruze headlamp switch has a different design. Maybe GM got smart and realized people were hacking their switches or simply just an evolution in design. The switch now uses a dual pin system (they look like little vault pins) that places outward pressure and glides along the inner grooves of the headlamp switch via groves/valleys.

See where the grease is? That's where I shaved off quite a bit of plastic. The smooth slope which made the switch slide back into AUTO is what was shaved down using a utility knife and lots of trial and error. Took me about an hour to get it right. The picture was before the mod.

The switch is now always in the off position and auto headlamps off unless I switch into auto. So happy to have full control of the lights now + this saves the lifespan of the bi-xenons :)

·
Super Moderator
7,819 Posts
Why does this make you “so happy”?

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
Because auto lights are annoying as ****, especially for people like me that have dim dash lights at night, they're constantly on and off during dawn and dusk hours. Also messes with the backup camera when I can't see it if it's too dim and the **** sun is up but the lights won't go off. Too bad this doesn't work for Canadian model Cruze's.

·
Registered
414 Posts
Not to mention, the drain of the lights doesn't help when having a battery that's almost dead, in starting the car.

Seems like a good thing to do.
The lights only go on unnecessarily in a parking lot.
I don't notice the issue when starting outside.

If you want the lights always on, you can just open the sensor mount on the dash, and drop the sensor inside the dash.
You'll end up with a small gaping hole the diameter of a pinky...

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Because I want full control of my headlights and don't want to depend on the GM nanny dictating when/where my auto lights come on. If I'm going somewhere I know I'll be leaving when dark then I can set the AUTO as needed. Simple as that.

+ this saves the life of the xenon bulbs with less short bursts of on/off when going into/out of tunnels or highway overpasses.

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,231 Posts
I have auto lights on three vehicles and have never once had a problem...

The only minor irritation is my HIDs turning on in the Cobalt when I pull into the garage - but even if I turn auto lights on, they'll turn on after I turn the vehicle on. So even that isn't an issue.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Cleaned up the images and the content to make it more clear as to why I did what I did.

MODS: Did I post this in the wrong section? If so please move into the right one. Thanks!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I agree. The Auto-lights are annoying and I'd rather have a choice in whether they're automatic or not. The only downside to your mod, is that your DRL's are also now disabled. (which is also really stupid on GM's part.) Auto-lights OFF should just mean the headlights won't come on automatically. It should NOT cause the DRL's to no longer function while the vehicle is in motion. Sigh. GM....

·
Registered
325 Posts
Is there some sort of thread about how to do this to the older style switch, which I assume my 2012 has. If there is such a thread, I cannot find it :(
I'd like to do this also ;)

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
I agree. The Auto-lights are annoying and I'd rather have a choice in whether they're automatic or not. The only downside to your mod, is that your DRL's are also now disabled. (which is also really stupid on GM's part.) Auto-lights OFF should just mean the headlights won't come on automatically. It should NOT cause the DRL's to no longer function while the vehicle is in motion. Sigh. GM....
Actually no. My DRLs are on all the time now including when I use my turn signals ;) I'll post details on that mod tmw....

Full brightness all the time even with the dipped beams on as well.

Teaser

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
I don't so much mind the auto on feature, but the turn signal override of the DRLs on cars just absolutely drives me insane. Seriously?!? It looks ridiculous! They aren't even the same light (on most cars), or color. Why do they need to switch off because someone is turning?

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I don't so much mind the auto on feature, but the turn signal override of the DRLs on cars just absolutely drives me insane. Seriously?!? It looks ridiculous! They aren't even the same light (on most cars), or color. Why do they need to switch off because someone is turning?
Has to do with some silly DOT regulation. Same rule applies to cars in Europe. On VWs you can disable this wink feature via with a simple software switch. On our cars it requires messing with the headlight wires and whatnot...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
Has to do with some silly DOT regulation. Same rule applies to cars in Europe. On VWs you can disable this wink feature via with a simple software switch. On our cars it requires messing with the headlight wires and whatnot...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
Funny thing is...with the headlights on, the DRLs stay on when using turn signals. @%&!
Noticed it in the reflection of mine in the tailgate of a truck this week on the drive to work.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Funny thing is...with the headlights on, the DRLs stay on when using turn signals. @%&!
Noticed it in the reflection of mine in the tailgate of a truck this week on the drive to work.
Correct because when you have the headlights on the DRLs automatically dim to half brightness. Mine doesn't do this any longer and now run at 100% light regardless of conditions. Details to follow...

·
Premium Member
1,246 Posts
What's with this resistance to making it easier for other drivers to tell when your turn signals are on?

Isn't signalling your intentions to other drivers the entire purpose of a turn signal?

·
Premium Member
930 Posts
What's with this resistance to making it easier for other drivers to tell when your turn signals are on?

Isn't signalling your intentions to other drivers the entire purpose of a turn signal?
It's not that....I am all for being visible to others...one of the reasons why I upgraded the bulbs on our cars, but for DRLs to go out just because I add a flasher in the daytime just looks stupid!

Do your LED or HID headlights/fogs go out when you signal?
And are your AMBER signals still visible then?

·
Premium Member
2014 Cruze Diesel, 2007 Cobalt, 1981 Camaro Z28, 2017 Volt
6,231 Posts
Reactions: quailallstar
1 - 20 of 22 Posts