Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
for the last 2 days while my 2013 Cruze Eco 6MT had the rear bumper prepped and painted (someone hit someone who then tagged me on the West Shore Expressway, Staten Island). All I can say is, what an appliance. I imagine some of you have or have had a Prius so no offense intended. While the Prius undoubtedly gets good fuel economy, for me there is no enjoyment whatsoever in driving it. I guess I can marvel at the technology (of hybrids in general, really), but no, not enjoyable. It had about 37K miles on it, and it sure had a ton of little squeaks and buzzes whenever I hit a bump. When I turned the Prius in and picked up the Cruze, it occurred to me what a quality car the Cruze is. The driving experience juxtaposed to that of the Prius I had just driven couldn't be more different. My Cruze has almost 21K miles on it and it has no squeaks, rattles or buzzes, -a very quiet quality interior. Its steering is more direct and precise and with a faster ratio than that of the Prius, and the suspension feels more buttoned down and sporty with seemingly no ride penalty. The Prius rode fine, but I just wanted to get out of that thing.

Maybe the Prius would grow on me, and I'm pretty certain I'd have no trouble beating the FE of my Cruze handily, but at what cost? The experience just reinforced my purchase decision to go with the Cruze (not that the Prius was on the short list- besides the Cruze I only considered the Focus and Mazda 3). And anyone debating whether to go with the 1LT, 2LT or Eco- I spent way to much time struggling with that decision (turns out unnecessarily) because in the end I'm super happy with my Eco- no regrets. I really like the tall gearing given the commute that I do. I still do lots of daily driving around home too, and the DIC after a year (and a cold, harsh winter) still shows lifetime 40.5 mpg. Probably around 38 or so real world, though I haven't taken the time to keep a log.

All of you in the Northeast US, hope you've enjoyed this beautiful Sunday!

Cheers,

Ron

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Double ouch - one for your Cruze and one for you having to drive a Prius. I drove a Camry Hybrid and hated it. GM got the drive train right in the Volt. I just read a report that 70% of the people who leave another manufacturer to purchase a Volt are trading in Priuii.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,306 Posts
What a hateful hateful car. My girlfriend had one as a rental and I refused to drive it. From the passenger seat, it just seemed to be a huge plastic piece of crap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Double ouch - one for your Cruze and one for you having to drive a Prius. I drove a Camry Hybrid and hated it. GM got the drive train right in the Volt. I just read a report that 70% of the people who leave another manufacturer to purchase a Volt are trading in Priuii.
I read that a Consumer Reports' Survey had the Volt as "most loved car" (I think that's more the media's characterization of the story). This was for 2 years running. Something like 92% would buy another. Apparently hybrids do well in general in these surveys, but at least the Volt topped them all (and all non-hybrids as well). I've never driven one, but I'd like to someday. My 100 mile commute (one-way) doesn't make it a logical choice for me in any case though- nor any other hybrid, by my reckoning.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,274 Posts
It is sunday already Dang what happened to Saturday ? I must of slept through it ..

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is sunday already Dang what happened to Saturday ? I must of slept through it ..
I have one of those jobs with a varying schedule- I get my days screwed up all the time. I can generally tell you what date it is though, LOL. Hope you had a great Saturday!

·
Epic Beard Man
5,389 Posts
They would be getting me another car or a ride home before I'd drive one of those. Or any Toyota for that matter.

Pretty sure it's the ideal whip for robots.

·
Registered
92 Posts
What a hateful hateful car. My girlfriend had one as a rental and I refused to drive it. From the passenger seat, it just seemed to be a huge plastic piece of crap.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I had the same thoughts after someone traded it in at the dealership, and I had to move it. Not sure how anyone could get excited about it.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Sorry for your luck Ronbo

The Prius is definitely not engineered with an intuitive driving experience in mind. The controls are ridiculous, seriously what idiot designed the gear shifter? the dash further strengthens the impression that the car was designed for someone that sniffs their own farts out of a wine glass and what's up with those side windows!?

Then you drive the thing, and it's like WHAMM, nothing. Some cars conjure up superlatives about their driving dynamics, the disconnected ride in a Prius most certainly does not.

Everytime I've had the misfortune of driving one I could literally feel myself starting to hate living lol.

·
Registered
491 Posts
The Fiat 500 isn't much better. When I had my car in for repairs, Enterprise come and picked me up and took me back to get my rental. The whole drive back I was thinking, hurry up and get me out of this car and if this is the one you're giving me, I'll walk home. It was a God awful car. Could barely get my 6'2" frame in the pass seat. Every bump went right up my spine.

In the end I got a Chrysler 200 that sat in the drive way while I took the wives Spark.

·
Registered
300 Posts
Remember that Much of the prius is recycled components used for the interior... and yes they rattle until repaired. I almost bought a 2012 prius C when I was shopping for a new vehicle as I wanted that mpg but I just couldn't bring myself in doing so. I've driven probably nearly 1000 prius' over the years and of course they put me to sleep. At least the cruze gave a little fun (not nearly enough) Even the camry I daily drive now Just tears me apart. The car almost drives too smooth and on my 54 mile commute I actually have to stop at a 7/11 or something just to wake me back up. I'm actually thinking of buying an intake just to add some noise. (stupid complaint but damnit I need to know i'm driving something)

I will say something positive. Majority of our prius clients love the vehicles and many own more then one. Multiple people I know have 1 of each generation and now there kids drive them. Taxi companies use us for service since we are near NYC and cheaper and I must say many of these cars have well over 200k+ and were purchased used with 70-110k. The main concerns on them are the brake booster noise and many have been repaired at no charge. To be honest. almost all major concerns toyota has either extended the warranty, recalled, or assisted with repairs. I gotta give them big credit for that as a company. Its also nice that your major hybrid components are covered 150+k miles under factory warranty.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,306 Posts
Remember that Much of the prius is recycled components used for the interior... and yes they rattle until repaired.
In a way, I sorta miss the mid-90's Toyotas. The build quality was fantastic for the time. Our current Toyota has had many annoying squeaks/rattles show up in 2 years...and front suspension problems.

Even the camry I daily drive now Just tears me apart. The car almost drives too smooth and on my 54 mile commute I actually have to stop at a 7/11 or something just to wake me back up.
We have the SE model 4-cyl. I wouldn't call the ride (at all!) smooth (especially compared to the Gen 5 I owned before that...that thing was like an old Buick on the road)...and I wouldn't call the car at all exciting. It is a good car at almost everything it sets out to do. Toyotas tend to work real well at getting you from point A to B...they do everything well enough and don't stand out from the competition in any one category. The 4-cyl engine is really quite strong when the transmission isn't confused about what you want it to do, and it's one of the quietest 4-cyls I've ever driven.

I bought my Cruze in a stick shift...puts what feels like a lot more power to the ground and extracts some driving enjoyment from the little engine. The auto Cruze is pretty boring to drive, IMO...it reminds you that you have a small, screamy engine under the hood. The ride/quiet interior/handling is very good for a small car, but there are times I wish it was a slightly bigger car inside with a little more substantial motor under the hood. But compared to the rest of the competition in its class...especially the Civic/Corolla...the Cruze is a much more exciting car from behind the wheel.

·
Registered
300 Posts
In a way, I sorta miss the mid-90's Toyotas. The build quality was fantastic for the time. Our current Toyota has had many annoying squeaks/rattles show up in 2 years...and front suspension problems.

We have the SE model 4-cyl. I wouldn't call the ride (at all!) smooth (especially compared to the Gen 5 I owned before that...that thing was like an old Buick on the road)...and I wouldn't call the car at all exciting. It is a good car at almost everything it sets out to do. Toyotas tend to work real well at getting you from point A to B...they do everything well enough and don't stand out from the competition in any one category. The 4-cyl engine is really quite strong when the transmission isn't confused about what you want it to do, and it's one of the quietest 4-cyls I've ever driven.

I bought my Cruze in a stick shift...puts what feels like a lot more power to the ground and extracts some driving enjoyment from the little engine. The auto Cruze is pretty boring to drive, IMO...it reminds you that you have a small, screamy engine under the hood. The ride/quiet interior/handling is very good for a small car, but there are times I wish it was a slightly bigger car inside with a little more substantial motor under the hood. But compared to the rest of the competition in its class...especially the Civic/Corolla...the Cruze is a much more exciting car from behind the wheel.
My past corolla's were a bit more fun. But 9-12psi will do that lol. I do think the interior on the '12 is better off then 07-11 in design and layout (no vent to heat my steering wheel or useless storage) lol. I do wish we had a real padded dash again and a car that feels like it was built in Japan. I need to fix a dash rattle this week... We always used to tell friends when Shopping for toyota's be sure that first letter on the vin tag is J.

As for smooth, its more so due to the flex with snow tires. The cruze was smooth just the notchy steering and constant suspension noise did it for me. Only reason I purchased an automatic was so the wife could drive it... but she hated it so much she refused unless 100% needed lol.

Reactions: jblackburn
1 - 14 of 14 Posts