Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Had my 1st Regen today at 823 miles. First of all, many thanks to @diesel and @LiveTrash for their recommendation and help in setting up my ScanGauge 2. Secondly, I honestly believe that except for the apparent decrease in full mileage in the DIC, I would not have know that I was in Regen mode if it weren't for the ScanGauge 2.

Heres how it went down technically. At a stoplight at 823 miles on odo and on @diesel prompting to look at MAP, I noticed a change in the MAP reading gauge . It went below 14 for the first time ( it's a vacuum ) and it was at 12.3 . This was my first tip-off that I was starting to go into Regen mode. Soot Mass gauge was at 22 and had been at 22 for about 7 miles before Regen started. Regen gauge read 1 ( but not until AFTER the MAP dropped below 14.0.

The Regen mode gauge has 4 stages or numbers 0 for normal operation or not in Regen Mode, # 1 for Regen mode active . # 2 for successful Regen completed and # 3 for interrupted Regen ( like turning off the engine while in active Regen mode at #1. ). My Regen number when MAP went below 14 was #1 ( active Regen mode) and STM ( soot mass) at 22. As I started moving, I noticed the fuel mileage immediately dropped ( worse) on the DIC by quite a bit. As I drove on a flat road at about 55-60 mph, I noticed the soot mass dropping from a high of 22 down to 21 etc in 1 number increments. It dropped about 2 points for every mile ( approx) that I drove at about 50 mph. It took about 12 minutes or 10 miles for the Regen to complete ( see attached photo). The Regen gauge went to 2. (. Completed) and Soot mass was at 3 and MAP went above 14 or greater again.

Again, without the ScanGauge 2, I can see how someone could easily miss a Regen or interrupt one.

Couple of things. If you go in any trucking forum, you'll see that all of the big rigs have Regen status gauges built in and they all have the option of actively doing one ( even while parked or idling). Seems like a lot of them do it at idle. Their regens vary in make , model , fuel used, load etc. I suspect ours do as well.

I can can also see how Regen interruption can affect reliability since you're dumping a lot of fuel ( heating it up to temps greater than 1,200 degrees F) to burn off soot filter. Leaving that unburned extra fuel in the DPF can not be good . ( I.e. Regen interruption) . This is why a SC 2 is essential for our vehicles and it should be a standard gauge from Chevy.

Notice on photo below my 1st completed Regen . Soot Mass top left gauge at 3, ( was at 22). bottom left is MAP greater than 14 ( was less than 14), , Regen status at top right is # 2 meaning Successful Completed Regen and bottom right gauge is 0 miles distance since last Regen. I doing know how I would have all of this great info without the Scan Gauge 2. Odometer at end Of Regen was 833 ( 10 miles of driving to complete my Regen).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,652 Posts
Good timing for your post. I am about to post a video and a warning about the "pre-regen"

·
Registered
246 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good timing for your post. I am about to post a video and a warning about the "pre-regen"

The pre-Regen appears to be that point at which the MAP goes below 14 on the bottom left gauge , but BEFORE the top right Regen gauge reads #1 or Regen started. I would argue that this point the MAP starts to drop below 14 is critical.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts