Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week I saw some oil on the floor of my garage. It was under the left front corner of the car in front of the front wheel. Probably coming from the charge pipe connection to the intercooler. So, I took it to the dealer. At first they said there was some leakage from the valve cover. Ok, makes sense that it could be the PCV valve. They said they would replace the valve cover. Sounded like a good plan.

Then they didn't call me back when they promised. I finally got hold of them a day later and he says that called GM tech support and they think there's "too much pressure in the engine" (their words) and they want to replace the pistons and rings.

I assume they are concerned about the rings leaking and getting blow-by into the crank case. I'm a little nervous about this. I'm not entirely sure that this is the cause of the problem and haven't had any experience with this dealer before.

Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Since you haven't mentioned any prices, I'm assuming this is being done under the powertrain warranty. I don't think GM would authorize that unless they were pretty sure there was a problem.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,484 Posts
It was not uncommon for the 2011-early 12, and sometimes later models, to crack a piston at the ringlands.

Ask for them to do a compression test and provide you with the results before you authorize them taking your engine apart. And ask how many the tech working on the car has actually done. Lots have had a piston or two lopped in that broke, and are still driving their cars today. A small handful had more unpleasant experiences.

·
Patience Of Job
562 Posts
It was not uncommon for the 2011-early 12, and sometimes later models, to crack a piston at the ringlands.

Ask for them to do a compression test and provide you with the results before you authorize them taking your engine apart. And ask how many the tech working on the car has actually done. Lots have had a piston or two lopped in that broke, and are still driving their cars today. A small handful had more unpleasant experiences.
This is very true its not uncommon at all. You know OP my Cruze had oil coming down on the passenger area like you are mentioning they changed the throttle body they changed the PCV trying to fix the problem, they was unsuccessful in repairing the final diagnosis found broken ring lands on #2 & #4 pistons - so they rebuilt my engine & 1 week later - melted intake. Then complete engine replacement.

I am not saying this is your issue - but unfortunately you may be experiencing the same dreaded piston issue. - But be sure to update us all on your progress & your outcome w/ GM & good luck!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
Hi Blancmange,

We’re very sorry to learn of this concern with your Cruze, and can understand your feelings of concern. Although we are not able to provide you any technical feedback, we’d be happy to stand as an additional layer of assistance. If interested, please send us a private message at your earliest convenience.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care

Last week I saw some oil on the floor of my garage. It was under the left front corner of the car in front of the front wheel. Probably coming from the charge pipe connection to the intercooler. So, I took it to the dealer. At first they said there was some leakage from the valve cover. Ok, makes sense that it could be the PCV valve. They said they would replace the valve cover. Sounded like a good plan.

Then they didn't call me back when they promised. I finally got hold of them a day later and he says that called GM tech support and they think there's "too much pressure in the engine" (their words) and they want to replace the pistons and rings.

I assume they are concerned about the rings leaking and getting blow-by into the crank case. I'm a little nervous about this. I'm not entirely sure that this is the cause of the problem and haven't had any experience with this dealer before.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Blancmange,

We’re very sorry to learn of this concern with your Cruze, and can understand your feelings of concern. Although we are not able to provide you any technical feedback, we’d be happy to stand as an additional layer of assistance. If interested, please send us a private message at your earliest convenience.

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
Thanks for the concern.

They've had my car for almost 2 weeks now and are "still waiting on parts". I am not at all impressed with the level of communication I'm getting from this dealer. For every 3 calls I make I get one back.

We'll see what happens next week.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I got my car back on Saturday, almost 3 weeks in the shop. But,they fixed everything!

They replaced:
- 4 pistons and rings
- Timing chain
- Intake manifold
- Valve cover
- Charge pipes
- Water pump (I didn't even mention this to them)

So far, so good. The only problem is the CEL is on - P0236. Could be from something they did. I need to connect my scanner and see if there's a boost problem. If so, I'll take it back. Or see if it clears itself.

Reactions: sparkman

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Oh, and all the above was under warranty,

Reactions: sparkman

·
2,254 Posts
OP, if I may ask, what is the build date of your Cruze? (It's found on the drivers door sill sticker)

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,105 Posts
I got my car back on Saturday, almost 3 weeks in the shop. But,they fixed everything!

The only problem is the CEL is on - P0236...
Sounds like not quite everything. I personally would bring it back and have that documented and possibly fixed (I did not look up that code to see what it was).

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'd reckon that's a loose clamp or intercooler hose.
Yup, I'd reckon.

I ran the Torque app while I was driving today - the boost never got above 4 psi. I know boost pressure is weather dependent and all, but it was hitting 12 psi in the summer. What should the boost pressure be on a cold, dry day?

I'll take it back in and have them check the hoses.

Reactions: Blasirl

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,484 Posts
Yup, I'd reckon.

I ran the Torque app while I was driving today - the boost never got above 4 psi. I know boost pressure is weather dependent and all, but it was hitting 12 psi in the summer. What should the boost pressure be on a cold, dry day?

I'll take it back in and have them check the hoses.
Definitely more than 4! Especially with an engine this tiny that relies on boost to do anything.

Don't try to drag race any Priuses.

·
2,254 Posts
Definitely more than 4! Especially with an engine this tiny that relies on boost to do anything.

Don't try to drag race any Priuses.

Even running normal you will lose! Believe me, I may or may not have done it.

OP, hope everything gets resolved!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I just noticed that the Dealer replaced my oil feed tube to the turbo with an insulated one!

They did me righteous!

Except that I'm going to be beat by a Prius on the way to the dealer tomorrow...

·
Registered
1,335 Posts
Hi Blancmange,

Helen
Chevrolet Customer Care
GM really needs to get on the stick with this problem and do a recall or provide extra coverage like the water pump. This hasn't happened to me but this will probably be the reason I don't buy another GM.

To the OP please report this problem to the NHTSA. Seems like we are getting more and more of this piston ring problem and something needs to be done about the problem.

Here is the link:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/VehicleComplaint/

Owners should not have to cover a manufacturing defect and we shouldn't have to beg GM and dealer to cover it when it happens outside of warranty.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts