Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, so it's been a couple of weeks since I did the headlight harness upgrade, and I must say, I'm pretty unhappy, I though for some reason it'd get better, but the headlights are a tad bit brighter, nothing significant like I thought might happen, so I'm probably gonna switch back to my hids as much as everyone here dislikes them, so I wanted to know, would it be possible or safe to use the hids with the new harness, or remove it all together and just have the hids with the stock wiring

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
Hey guys, so it's been a couple of weeks since I did the headlight harness upgrade, and I must say, I'm pretty unhappy, I though for some reason it'd get better, but the headlights are a tad bit brighter, nothing significant like I thought might happen, so I'm probably gonna switch back to my hids as much as everyone here dislikes them, so I wanted to know, would it be possible or safe to use the hids with the new harness, or remove it all together and just have the hids with the stock wiring

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Bypass and use the stock wiring, a harness should be included with the HIDs anyhow so you'd be bypassing it anyways...no need to have 2 harnesses...HIDs don't require as much power once they're lit....only a lot to fire em up.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
and TBH when I first got my Cruze I had stock housing HIDs, and while they are too bright for the reflector housing, I'm a headlight nut, and the cutoff remained nearly identical to that of the halogen bulbs, so just a slight aim down made them really not that unsafe....believe it or not some cars have decent halogen reflector cutoffs, and this is one of those cars....people are gonna argue with me and that's fine...I'm not recommending you use HIDs...I just know for a fact it's not as bad as every other type of car out there that has them.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
When I first heard how great and aftermarket head lamp harness was decided to check the total voltage drop between the battery and the left and right head lamps. Left was only 0.1 volts and the right, a long run was something like 0.25 volts, more BS.

Even more BS was these 42 bucks for Phillips or Sylvania 100% brighter head lamps, was no better than the Xtravisions at 12 bucks a pair, they were an honest 30% than the stock bulbs. Plus the last pair lasted over eight years, these way overpriced head lamps, luck to get six months use out of them. And a burnt out head lamp is worse than one that works.

Bit of logic and even a stupid question could be asked, how do they get twice the same brightness out of the same 65 watt bulb? They don't and just lie about it. Adding fog lamps sure made a huge difference, now getting 100 watts per side rather than 65 watts. Have no idea why they can't be used with the brights, but is the law, and breaking the law can lead you into deep trouble if involved in an accident. Logic is not used with many laws.

Other lines of BS is using a bulb instead of a double reflecting surface with these way overpriced plastic head lamps assemblies. And you must have an extremely good seal. If not, when the head lamps are on, increases the pressure inside, not bad, but when they cool off creates a vacuum that sucks in moisture, that really dims your light. Then they scratch very easily.

Even more BS are these DRL head lamps using point contact made in China relays and fast blowing fuses, the brights have replaceable relays in the underhood fuse box. But who knows whats inside of the BCM, using PWM to dim them during the daytime, not sure if using more relays, but a power MOSFET makes more sense. If you blow that will be out $$$$$, then the logic is stored in flashram, how dumb can you get?

If I really want to see the road at night, can get into my motorhome with that four rectangular seal beam head lamp system, but in a sense, need that, stopping distance is far greater than a little vehicle.

If you make any modifications of this type, you are accepting the liability, not about to do this for the kind of crap they are making today. If you were an expert witness like I was for years dealing with court cases, you would know what I am talking about. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts
and TBH when I first got my Cruze I had stock housing HIDs, and while they are too bright for the reflector housing, I'm a headlight nut, and the cutoff remained nearly identical to that of the halogen bulbs, so just a slight aim down made them really not that unsafe....believe it or not some cars have decent halogen reflector cutoffs, and this is one of those cars....people are gonna argue with me and that's fine...I'm not recommending you use HIDs...I just know for a fact it's not as bad as every other type of car out there that has them.
The housing produces the cut-off as a function of the calibration of that housing relative to not only the light shape, but also source position. With HIDs, both of those change.

Have you tried a high efficiency bulb like the Philips Xtreme Vision? Those are notably brighter.

Obviously HIDs will have a far higher intensity, but you need to be aware that the housing is designed to produce light above that cut-off line, so even if you magically managed to maintain that cut-off line, you are still amplifying actual glare (light intentionally emitted above the cut-off line), by 2-3x. Without projectors, you won't be able to make this work safely.

http://www.amazon.com/Philips-9008-...335&sr=8-1&keywords=philips+xtreme+vision+H13

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Ha, I downed the likes of Philips Xtreme Vision, way overpriced with next to zero reliability, and seems like you are praising them.

Can only say, we have had different experiences.

How about hiring a guy to swing a kerosene lamp in front of your vehicle at night. This is what they use to do.

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,216 Posts
Ha, I downed the likes of Philips Xtreme Vision, way overpriced with next to zero reliability, and seems like you are praising them.

How about hiring a guy to swing a kerosene lamp in front of your vehicle at night. This is what they use to do.
I've had em 2 years and they haven't burnt out yet. Lot longer than I ever got from Silverstars. And yep, good increase in light output too. A set was $26.

·
Administrator
15,750 Posts

With the upgraded wiring harness, mine lasted 20 months and about 21,000 miles. They are, scientifically, higher output halogen bulbs by "up to" 100% efficiency over factory bulbs. I'd place them closer to 60-80% improvement. They are notably, and demonstrably brighter, without any tint or film to compromise output for the sake of cosmetics like some other bulbs have.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
With our sub zero weather up here, alternator voltage goes up to 15.5 volts, maybe this is the reason for their short life.

In any event, I feel we all agree on, the way the stock Cruze comes from the factory, the head lamps are at least unacceptable, and the most, dangerous, in particular on our dark black Wisconsin roads. Something has to be done.

Side vision is practically zero, fog lamps corrected this, maybe okay on the Dan Ryan interstate in Chicago with thousands of other vehicles all creeping along at 2-3 mph.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
All over the net, here's just one.

https://www.coolbulbs.com/HID-VISUAL-HEADLIGHT-AIMING-PROCEDURE.pdf

Only adjustment on the Cruze is vertical, no lateral adjustments.

Have to say one nice thing about the Cruze, super easy to change the head lamps, on my old 04 Cavalier had to remove the entire head lamp assembly first. On one Buick, can't recall the year, was a 300 buck dealer charge to replace a bulb, entire front end had to be removed first to replace a bulb.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Funny, I've never once complained about my oem bulbs. Plenty bright

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,216 Posts
Funny, I've never once complained about my oem bulbs. Plenty bright
Do Canadians get different lenses than our US DOT spec ones?

I've often heard that the Euro-spec lights on cars like my old one light up the road a heck of a lot better.

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Mine light up so far in front it's crazy with the high beam on. Otherwise even with low beam there's still no issue

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
That Ford Cmax I rented in Italy sure had bright head lamps, Italy is not well lit up at night like the USA. Ha, first night, I wanted to return to our apartment before it got dark. But this was only the first night, actually easier to read all those road signs at night, plus a lot easier to read my GPS.

In the USA following a state road with 50,000 small towns, have route signs, so have to be half awake or will end up in someones back yard. No such thing in Italy, have to know where you are going, but at least get a vehicle with bright lights.

Our problem is have a country run by attorneys and drive mostly in Washington DC that is brighter at night than in the daytime. Also the only prerequisite to head a highly technical agency is to help whatever idiot president we have get elected.

Cruze is one of the worse vehicles I have ever owned with extremely poor night lighting, on curvy dark tree lined Wisconsin roads. Side lighting is terrible, have to watch out for deer. So we have to do something, but we shouldn't have to, feel their should be a major recall.

And a new law, no attorneys permitted to run for office, natural born idiots and liars. Trained to lie with the guise of defending criminals.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Are they plug and play?
Of course not. But like anything electrical, it can be rewired.:th_coolio:

A 9005 to 9008 harness connector can be made easily. I'm assuming the turn bulb is still a 7443 so that should be pnp. The LED DRL array will need some creative thinking for running it appropriately (high mode for days / dim for nights) since our ECU won't be controlling it like the Korean ECU. A few different ways to do it but its do-able.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts