Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 4 of 34 Posts

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
It has not at all changed my opinion of diesels, but it has lowered my opinion of VW. I have test driven pretty much every variant of VW's 4 cylinder TDI cars since the 1996 Passat but never felt compelled to buy one. I was a big fan of VW Beetles (the original beetle with the engine in the back) and had a bunch of those through high school and into my 20's, but no other VW's were interesting to me. (With one exception. I bought a Touareg TDI and that was an electronics nightmare which I quickly unloaded. It was brand new too)

Now, this scandal tells me they don't give one rip about the customers as long as they are selling the cars and they will lie and cheat their way to get what they want. Classic definition of a narcissist, only it's the whole company. They don't care who they hurt, as long as they are OK.

In the meantime I will continue to buy diesel cars from other manufacturers.

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
I don't think VW pulled out forever, just for 2016 model year. No matter, I won't be buying one.

· Premium Member
4,647 Posts
They falsified crash test results to get approval to sell cars here in the USA and got away with it for a little while before they got caught. A relative lost a lot of money after paying for franchising rights and setting up a dealership only to have the government come in and yank everything out from him and others....
I can't seem to find anything online to back that up. Can you cite a source? The closest I found was an article in the NY times which said they pulled out because they were losing money. Not trying to pick on you or anything, but this is an interesting topic to me because I always wondered but never researched. They did mention something about needing to invest in future safety regulations, but there's nothing about falsified crash test results. I would think something like that would have been big news back in the day.

COMPANY NEWS - Daihatsu Planning to Halt Imports to U.S. - NYTimes.com

1 - 4 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.