Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does GM have any plans to release a hatchback/wagon (larger carrying capacity than sedan) in the U.S. market? Preferably diesel. With standard transmission option. If not, why? So many other manufacturers have a hatchback/wagon. If you do, please don't make the same mistake you made with the Malibu Maxx, for example. It had a smaller trunk than the regular Malibu, which in my opinion, was pointless!

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
I doubt GM will bring the Cruze Hatchback or Wagons to the US. It would cut way into their huge profits on SUVs. You know the profit on an SUV is huge because they still aren't loosing money when offering $7,000 cash back discounts.

·
Premium Member
4,143 Posts
I doubt GM will bring the Cruze Hatchback or Wagons to the US. It would cut way into their huge profits on SUVs. You know the profit on an SUV is huge because they still aren't loosing money when offering $7,000 cash back discounts.
Why aren't privately owned SUV type vehicles given the same gas guzzler tax as a large V8 sedan? If fuel consumption was so important why the the discrimination?

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Because they're on truck chassis and trucks don't fall under the US CAFE requirements. I know - it's total s**t.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
GM almost lost a sale to me because I was looking for a wagon and zeroed in on the Passat Sport Wagen. The Cruze has a decently sized trunk but a terribly small opening which limits it's use to smaller items. I couldn't even get my mother-in-law's walker in the back. It's especially frustrating since Europe has both the hatch and wagon versions...I think. Come on, GM bring the wagon here and I will be your first customer!!!

·
Registered
594 Posts
Can't tell you HOW many times I wished we had the wagon version or at least the H/B.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I seem to remember Mr. Reuss being quoted as saying the lack of a Cruze hatchback was a real blunder and that it would be rectified with the second generation line. Both unions at Lordstown lobbied for it also. If I had the time, I'd go search GMAuthority for the blog.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts