Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

961 - 980 of 1002 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
What does the premium membership get you? I am assuming there are threads only premium members can see?
I don’t believe there are any added ‘benefits’ or viewing privileges reserved for Premium Members.

I paid the Premium Member fees simply because after lurking for a few days I felt I’d gleaned more than that sum of money in value from forum membership contributions and just wanted to offer a small amount of monetary support in return to help keep the lights on.

·
Premium Member
7,900 Posts
Hey I have a 2014 Cruze LTZ with about 68K miles, I am using Synthetic oil so what is a good Tune up schedule I should keep up with; Plugs, transmission, fuel filter ect. That is minus oil changes.
I'd check your owner's manual and study the "severe service" section. Only look at the "normal" section if you can find the fine print of what they consider "normal" and it applies to you. For good measure, you might want to find the 2015 manual and see if they changed anything.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I don’t believe there are any added ‘benefits’ or viewing privileges reserved for Premium Members.

I paid the Premium Member fees simply because after lurking for a few days I felt I’d gleaned more than that sum of money in value from forum membership contributions and just wanted to offer a small amount of monetary support in return to help keep the lights on.
I ask because there are times that i click on stuff that i have searched through the forums search feature and it says i don't have the privilege to view

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts

I believe you get a much larger PM inbox, and an ad-free experience.

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
I ask because there are times that i click on stuff that i have searched through the forums search feature and it says i don't have the privilege to view
Next time you encounter a viewing restricted situation, post the Forum or Sub-Forum name here.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Here's a dumb one. My previous car was a Supercharged Cobalt SS 2006, so my knowledge of modifying cars is quite limited, as I have been driving my 2011 Cruze 1.4l since I sold the Cobalt. I was a moron and didn't think about modifying the car in the future, so I chose the automatic transmission. That being said, I'm finally starting to work and improve the performance of the vehicle to get to something that's as fun to drive as my old car was, but it seems a lot of the things that I wanted to do for just my own personal enjoyment are pointless for the automatic trans w/ turbo. Is there even a point to installing an aftermarket BOV to this car? If I drive the car solely in the manual shift mode will I still never hear the sound? I feel like an idiot for even asking this....

Second question, what are some other modifications that can be made that will be worth while? I definitely wish I had gone with the manual transmission....

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
I have an automatic transmission in my Cobalt and it's plenty fine - and I have a pullied-down M62 on it. As long as the trans is tuned well, it'll be more than fine.

Aftermarket BOV is pointless other than sound.

There are many modifications you can make to the car, regardless of transmission.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I have a noob question, After getting home from work today I popped the hood to clear out some leaves that have built up on the left and right side that I was not able to get to while it was closed. I did notice on the driver side I would say a faint chemical smell, I would want to say coolant but did not seem sweet, but almost like washer fluid smell. I have noticed when leaving from work for the day and the car is in the sun and I open the windows and as i m driving off their is a chemical smell similar to what I smelled. With my work parking lot being in the wide open and direct sun light during the summer ill lower the windows to get some of the hot air out then turn on the AC then pull up the windows. Once I have the windows up an AC blasting the smell goes away. But the smell is occurring right away but only if I roll the Windows down, if I leave them up and turn the AC right away do not smell anything. When turning the car in the morning before work and having the windows down not smelling anything so thinking something to do with being in the heat and maybe some sort of leak? With still being under warranty I should just stop by the dealer an have them look, but if this is normalize and me being an idiot rather save the trip of waiting around at the dealer.

The other dumb one for fun I wanted to take a look under the oil cap since I have not yet pulled it off and noticed this weird gum looking thing. Seems like that it should not be there but wanted to ask the noob question.

Oil.JPG

2017 Cruze only 6,850 Miles, had the car a year and 2 months, yeah I need to put more miles on it. Also other notes had my car in at 2x at the start of the year for O2 sensor replacement and the first oil change.

·
Premium Member
2,553 Posts
Have you checked the cabin air filter yet?

Should be replaced once a year anyway, worth a shot.

More Here

·
Registered
39 Posts
Do I have direct diesel fuel injection, how can I tell, and will it cause lots of carbon buildup?
Cheers.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let's face it, we weren't born with a wrench in our hands. While some of us have a good understanding of automotive mechanics, sound systems, and other car-related topics, we didn't always know as much as we do.

There was a time in my life when I didn't know what a header was, and I couldn't point out the intake manifold or throttle body in an engine bay, and I was too embarrassed to admit to it.

Well, I'd like to create this thread to give people the opportunity to ask what they'd consider to be "stupid" questions without being judged or laughed at, and give others the opportunity to answer them. Sure, you can google these topics for more information, but sometimes it's easier to have someone answer them for you and give a thorough explanation. No question is too stupid, mundane, or elementary.

The more knowledge people have, the more they can share it with others, so have at it. Does anyone here have any "dumb" questions they've been wondering about?

P.S. I have no idea how many people will actually post. This thread is a bit of an experiment...
I barely know anything about cars but I want to learn. I have a 2014 chevy cruze and I want to keep it in great shape until im done with grad school (in undergrad right now). Where can i start? are there any resources/videos/books?

·
Registered
609 Posts
I barely know anything about cars but I want to learn. I have a 2014 chevy cruze and I want to keep it in great shape until im done with grad school (in undergrad right now). Where can i start? are there any resources/videos/books?
As a child, I built lots of model cars, in the timeframe 1970-1975. The builder had to assemble the engine and drivetrain, so, even if it didn't teach the underlying principles of operation, it still left me with the knowledge of what the pieces were: engine block, heads, intake manifold, etc. Of course some of the items are now arcane, such as carburetor :) But, when I reflect on where I acquired some of my car knowledge, a chunk of it came from models.

That said, I'm not sure what models are available today or if they would be current - classic iron may be popular but building a 1970 Mercury Cyclone model with a 429 under the hood won't help you much with your Cruze. (But knowing that we used to have 7 liter big blocks in family cars has historic value :) )

I took a quick look at Chevy models at Hobbylinc.com : lots of classic Chevys, but couldn't find a Cruze in my brief search: https://www.hobbylinc.com/chevrolet-plastic-model-cars-trucks-vehicles-1:20-1:29-scale

Anyway, besides models, I think you have some good ideas. Go to the library. Also check out used book stores. Get the Chiltons or Haynes for your current car while also looking for books along the lines of "idiot's guide...to (contemporary) automobiles". Some of these books are at the library - mine has Chiltons and Haynes - so you can peruse them to get a better idea of whether spending 20+ dollars on your own copy will be useful.

HTH.

Doug

·
Registered
145 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
So I was wondering what you need to buy to upgrade an eco that has a mylink touchscreen without navigation to a mylink touchscreen with nav

·
Registered
145 Posts
2013 eco also
So I was wondering what you need to buy to upgrade an eco that has a mylink touchscreen without navigation to a mylink touchscreen with nav
From what I've seen on the forums, you need to find a navigation head unit, change the VIN number in the head unit or pay someone to do it, get the matching navigation control panel (part below the radio display( add/modify a harness, etc. Here's a thread that should help.
I've been thinking about this change for a while (to at least get a factory rear camera working) but it might be easier just to go aftermarket.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have a 2017 Cruze Hatchback, 17,500 miles. Recently the CEL came on and I read a P015b code. After reading a description of the code, O2 sensor slow to respond, I simply chalked it up to the fact that the CEL lit during a warmup and I cleared the code. Is this actually an indication of a bigger problem that I should send the car to the dealership for repair? I do a lot of my own wrenching but don't have the expensive bi-directional diagnostic equipment. Is there something that I could inspect/checkout on my own? I've read where shops have performed PCM flashes and replaced catalytic converters and all sorts of throwing parts at the code. I'm not a fan of that type of troubleshooting.

961 - 980 of 1002 Posts