Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

981 - 1000 of 1040 Posts

·
Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
16,861 Posts
I have a 2017 Cruze Hatchback, 17,500 miles. Recently the CEL came on and I read a P015b code. After reading a description of the code, O2 sensor slow to respond, I simply chalked it up to the fact that the CEL lit during a warmup and I cleared the code. Is this actually an indication of a bigger problem that I should send the car to the dealership for repair? I do a lot of my own wrenching but don't have the expensive bi-directional diagnostic equipment. Is there something that I could inspect/checkout on my own? I've read where shops have performed PCM flashes and replaced catalytic converters and all sorts of throwing parts at the code. I'm not a fan of that type of troubleshooting.
This is a common issues with 2016/7's and is usually addressed by replacing the O2 sensor. It is still under warranty.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Let's face it, we weren't born with a wrench in our hands. While some of us have a good understanding of automotive mechanics, sound systems, and other car-related topics, we didn't always know as much as we do.

There was a time in my life when I didn't know what a header was, and I couldn't point out the intake manifold or throttle body in an engine bay, and I was too embarrassed to admit to it.

Well, I'd like to create this thread to give people the opportunity to ask what they'd consider to be "stupid" questions without being judged or laughed at, and give others the opportunity to answer them. Sure, you can google these topics for more information, but sometimes it's easier to have someone answer them for you and give a thorough explanation. No question is too stupid, mundane, or elementary.

The more knowledge people have, the more they can share it with others, so have at it. Does anyone here have any "dumb" questions they've been wondering about?

P.S. I have no idea how many people will actually post. This thread is a bit of an experiment...
Hello I just bought a 2019 chevy cruze LS hatchback and really want to do some basic performance upgrades to the engine, exhaust and cooling systems. Any recommendations? For tuning upgrade as well?

·
Administrator
15,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #984
Hello I just bought a 2019 chevy cruze LS hatchback and really want to do some basic performance upgrades to the engine, exhaust and cooling systems. Any recommendations? For tuning upgrade as well?
Check out BadNewsRacing.net for all of that. Best place to get cruze performance stuff.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
I have a dumb question...why are some people born without a brain while others are born with a brain but refuse to use it or are too stupid to use it? lol

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Stupid question if not already asked...
On the 1.4 engine, what is the primary function of the exhaust manifold heat shield besides keeping hands safe from getting burned on the exhaust manifold?
Does it protect the front of the valve cover above it, surrounding components in front of the engine?
I am sure it keeps the turbo oil feed tube and cooling line pretty hot since they both have heat shields of their own being between/near the manifold and the block already.
If cooling fan is operating properly, maybe the ambient and forced air flow works fine and the shield really is just to protect our hands?
thanks

·
Administrator
15,699 Posts
Discussion Starter #987
Stupid question if not already asked...
On the 1.4 engine, what is the primary function of the exhaust manifold heat shield besides keeping hands safe from getting burned on the exhaust manifold?
Does it protect the front of the valve cover above it, surrounding components in front of the engine?
I am sure it keeps the turbo oil feed tube and cooling line pretty hot since they both have heat shields of their own being between/near the manifold and the block already.
If cooling fan is operating properly, maybe the ambient and forced air flow works fine and the shield really is just to protect our hands?
thanks
It reduces under-hood radiant heat.

Sent from my BlackBerry Key2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
19 Posts
I got a question do they scotch guard new cruze cloth interiors? I got a 2018 cruze & got some Chinese food gravy on my seats which just wiped off with water & left no stain....

·
16,861 Posts
I got a question do they scotch guard new cruze cloth interiors? I got a 2018 cruze & got some Chinese food gravy on my seats which just wiped off with water & left no stain....
Would be done at the dealership level. So maybe.

·
Registered
4 Posts
My 2012 Cruze LT was stolen back in November 2019. Cops were able to retrieve it. When I picked it up from the repair place the interior rear view mirror was missing and the black box that sat next to it had the wires cut. So every time I unlock my door manually the car alarm goes off. My question is, who can I take to fix it? The dealership did not know.
E770567A-1B43-4FFE-9634-BFE47ED94D5C.jpeg

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
Got no reply for the previous question but hopefully this will ‘bump’ it for another look see.

While we’re at it, here’s my stupid question...

While driving down a 4 mile long 6% grade in California today, I noticed even with the Cruise Control set I had gained about 15 mph by the time I coasted to the bottom. Unlike my diesel Ram that will use engine braking to attempt to maintain speed, my CTD doesn’t seem to hold very well.

Got me to wondering about EVs and Hybrids...with the electric regenerating ability through the wheels and brakes, do they have programming to use downhill momentum in order to ‘charge’ the battery while coasting? Do they do a better job than ICE’s at maintaining a set downhill speed even on long steep grades?

·
16,861 Posts
Got no reply for the previous question but hopefully this will ‘bump’ it for another look see.

While driving down a 4 mile long 6% grade in California today, I noticed even with the Cruise Control set I had gained about 15 mph by the time I coasted to the bottom. Unlike my diesel Ram that will use engine braking to attempt to maintain speed, my CTD doesn’t seem to hold very well.

Got me to wondering about EVs and Hybrids...with the electric regenerating ability through the wheels and brakes, do they have programming to use downhill momentum in order to ‘charge’ the battery while coasting? Do they do a better job than ICE’s at maintaining a set downhill speed even on long steep grades?
No grade shifting on the Diesel?

I was somewhere between Utah and Colorado and started going down a long hill on cruise control at 75 and my Cruze suddenly thumped down a gear and started buzzing away. It will commonly drop a gear or two while braking downhill, but this was the first time I'd seen it do it on cruise.

Depends on the EV/hybrid - some have a dedicated mode for it (Toyotas), some will ramp up regen braking on cruise control (Fusion), and some...just don't unless you're on the brakes (early Escape hybrids). Still have yet to drive one I like, though.

20190120_092517.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,645 Posts
The CTD didn’t seem to kick down a gear, just kept gaining speed...but mine’s a Gen 1 and the grade (Cajon Pass on I-15 in So Cal) is notoriously steep so maybe the little 2 liter diesel just didn’t have the cajones to slow/maintain the descent.

·
Registered
29 Posts

I think the chevy volt, at least the very last generation, did a good job of holding its speed on a downhill. Yes it will use regerative braking on a downhill to recharge the battery.

·
Registered
29 Posts
My 2012 Cruze LT was stolen back in November 2019. Cops were able to retrieve it. When I picked it up from the repair place the interior rear view mirror was missing and the black box that sat next to it had the wires cut. So every time I unlock my door manually the car alarm goes off. My question is, who can I take to fix it? The dealership did not know. View attachment 285232
Maybe you just connect the wires again. it would seem like the dealer should know how to fix it

·
Registered
Holden Cruze 1.8L 2012. 63k miles odometer (15-03-2020).
96 Posts
My stupid question is about measuring Motor Oil Temperature since I do not believe my 2012 Holden Cruze 1.8l non-turbo has a sensor for that. I tried an oven roast probe digital meter against the oil sump, poking it inside a groove to get surface area contact but the highest reading I get is 72c/162f and ambient is over 30c/86f. This was done immediately after city driving for 20 minutes.

Am I wasting our time doing this or is there a better way? I tried searching for a dip stick temperature reader but only found some garbage that has a warning light if the oil is too hot. Next time I will measure it as the oil drains out during an oil change I am doing this week.

Cheers.

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
Stupid question; although there is a ton of info regarding engine oil for the 1.4t engine...

Can there be a rule of thumb on whether or not to do an oil change following a "high heat" event ie. (ac off due to high engine temp, approx 250F) or prolonged higher than normal coolant temp due to an impending coolant system repair or diagnosis?

For example- typical Dexos oil with 2000 average use miles on it, thermostat gets stuck closed causing "ac off" temperature warning 250F, but able to drive home 15 miles at 240F or analog gauge needle mildly above normal. I changed the oil to be safe.
What would you do?

·
16,861 Posts
Stupid question; although there is a ton of info regarding engine oil for the 1.4t engine...

Can there be a rule of thumb on whether or not to do an oil change following a "high heat" event ie. (ac off due to high engine temp, approx 250F) or prolonged higher than normal coolant temp due to an impending coolant system repair or diagnosis?

For example- typical Dexos oil with 2000 average use miles on it, thermostat gets stuck closed causing "ac off" temperature warning 250F, but able to drive home 15 miles at 240F or analog gauge needle mildly above normal. I changed the oil to be safe.
What would you do?
It will reset the OLM to 0% any time an overheat warning triggers. If it's just an air pocket or bad sensor or something like that that temporarily triggers the warning, sure, reset and ignore it, bleed the cooling system or replace the stupid sensor, and carry on.

In your case - I'd have changed the oil as you did.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
9,187 Posts
My stupid question is about measuring Motor Oil Temperature since I do not believe my 2012 Holden Cruze 1.8l non-turbo has a sensor for that. I tried an oven roast probe digital meter against the oil sump, poking it inside a groove to get surface area contact but the highest reading I get is 72c/162f and ambient is over 30c/86f. This was done immediately after city driving for 20 minutes.

Am I wasting our time doing this or is there a better way? I tried searching for a dip stick temperature reader but only found some garbage that has a warning light if the oil is too hot. Next time I will measure it as the oil drains out during an oil change I am doing this week.

Cheers.
By an OBD II dongle and download the Torque app

981 - 1000 of 1040 Posts