Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Have any "stupid" questions?

234K views 1K replies 221 participants last post by  Blasirl 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's face it, we weren't born with a wrench in our hands. While some of us have a good understanding of automotive mechanics, sound systems, and other car-related topics, we didn't always know as much as we do.

There was a time in my life when I didn't know what a header was, and I couldn't point out the intake manifold or throttle body in an engine bay, and I was too embarrassed to admit to it.

Well, I'd like to create this thread to give people the opportunity to ask what they'd consider to be "stupid" questions without being judged or laughed at, and give others the opportunity to answer them. Sure, you can google these topics for more information, but sometimes it's easier to have someone answer them for you and give a thorough explanation. No question is too stupid, mundane, or elementary.

The more knowledge people have, the more they can share it with others, so have at it. Does anyone here have any "dumb" questions they've been wondering about?

P.S. I have no idea how many people will actually post. This thread is a bit of an experiment...

This post has been deleted
#2 ·
Here's a question. I've been reading the threads about the flooding / hydrolocking, and then the CAI being the culprit because of how low it sits in the engine bay. But when i looked at the original way the air is pulled in, before removing the resonator. Would they not also pull in water the same way the CAI did, seeing as to how low they are in the engine bay?

#437 ·
Why is the sky blue? haha just kidding.

I've always wondered why the Cruze has that massive fuse box in the engine bay. Why are there 2 fuse boxes?
Is it simpy one for interior and one for exterior?
I think Chrysler is the only manufacturer that is going for a single fuse box aka: Total Integrated Power Module.

It's a mixed blessing. Everything is in one location. Easy access. But it is under the hood. (probably because the relays would be noisy inside the vehicle)

#4 ·
Why did Honda remove the 5 speed from the EX trim level :(

err wait cruze related... umm...

ok so my fiance' and i got into a discussion about switching back and forth between regular (87) and premium (91/93). She said it was "not good for the car". Any validity to her claim? I said it shouldnt be as the car was designed to run on 87 it can do it just fine switching back and forth...

#5 ·
More like...why did Honda stop making good cars altogether?:1poke:

I used to love Hondas. That love stopped after 2007/2008 when everything became hideous, fat, and bloated. What the H-e-double hockey sticks did they do to Acura?!?!

No problem switching between grades. The car "learns" air/fuel trims to an extent, but the knock sensors also compensate between switching grades of gas. If you use 87, it'll pull timing and power to keep from damaging the engine. You'll probably notice less MPG on 87 on hot summer days than 89 or 93.

This post has been deleted
#14 ·
Check the distributor cap. It's underneath the rear bumper toward the left of the car. It emits fumes when it's broken. you need to funnel fluid back through that pipe and stick a corn cob in it, then you'll be good to go.

P.S. I really hope nobody takes the above seriously.

#26 ·
Only stupid question is the question not asked.

Reactions: XtremeRevolution
#38 · (Edited)
Roaches? last night, driving around with windows down, I started to wonder if I did not have some crickets aboard! Started getting paranoid that I had a wheel bearing going out, brake wear problem, vacuum leak, etc. The insects were unusually loud last night between the crickets and Cicada's (tree locusts or crickets).
Need to turn up the radio!
The last couple weeks the crickets have been trying to move in. They already have the garage. Been trying to remember to keep windows up. Time to spray or bug bomb the garage.
------------------------------
When all else fails, sometimes it takes the ultimate specialized tool.....a BFH!

Edit:
Should of probably phrased it, "
I started to wonder whether I had some crickets aboard!"

Reactions: XtremeRevolution
#42 ·
This thread has truly convinced me that no question is too "stupid" to ask, and in many occasions, no answer is too stupid to respond with.

For example:
Question:
How many whacks does it take to fully kill a cockroach?

Answer:
At least 9,000

I hereby open this thread to questions of any topic, not just automotive or mechanical. Automotive questions are still very much encouraged, but if you need to know how to kill a cockroach, we can help with that too.

#43 ·
You could try putting a shot of tequila in the trunk. Check back in a few hours. If tequila is still there and no signs of the roach, no worries, do the shot, be happy. If roach is floating around on it's back with a smile on it's face, pretend it is a worm, do the shot! Win, win. Roach went out smiling, you solved a problem while drinking, and there is still a bottle of tequila for celebrating!
There is nothing that cannot be temporarily fixed with a bottle of tequila!

#51 ·
OK. No roaches-of any kind here- and no water ALTHOUGH I ALMOST solved my transmission troubles because very SHORTLY after I picked up my car at the dealership last Friday after they installed my new TCM, their lot got FLOODED and they lost a great number of Chevies and other luxury cars they sell and used cars! My car was parked right in the middle of all that! If they only called me about 30 minutes later, my car probably would have been TOTALED! :eek:mg: All the cars that were flooded were being picked up and CRUSHED and replaced with new models!

Anyway, my STUPID question is WHY did GM "THINK" it would be a "good" idea to put that crappy transmission in our 2011 Cruzes? :question:

#52 ·
If they only called me about 30 minutes later, my car probably would have been TOTALED! :eek:mg: All the cars that were flooded were being picked up and CRUSHED and replaced with new models!

Anyway, my STUPID question is WHY did GM "THINK" it would be a "good" idea to put that crappy transmission in our 2011 Cruzes? :question:
They probably crushed them since insurance covered the losses.

As for the transmission, I have no idea. I'm actually not sure if there's anyone on this forum who could answer that question.

#67 ·
LuK makes the factory clutch, and I see no reason they would change it. Clutchmasters can make clutches for the Cruze (one guy here bought a twin disc), and I'm fairly certain SPEC can as well.

Sent from my Bulletproof_Doubleshot using AutoGuide.Com Free App