Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2012 1.4 turbo with 150k highway miles... relatively trouble-free for last few years... recently changed water outlet, but reused coolant line back to reservoir...long story short, that blew apart, coolant gone and car overheated. Pulled over and shut off immediately... fixed hose and refilled, but exhaust gas bubbling through coolant tank bottom hose. Mechanic wants to install new head gasket, machine the head if it's not cracked, new water pump, and new timing chain. $3k. New engine is $6-7k or I can try getting a salvage and do it myself (he won't put in used engine). Anyone else had this problem? Shame to scrap this car, but I'm pretty close.

·
Super Moderator
7,000 Posts
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

Water pump is an extended warranty item on earlier models, not sure about yours.

[h=1]150K/10 year warranty on the Cruze Water Pump?[/h]
You normally need to burp the coolant tank a few times after a refill. Make sure that is not one of the issues. I would think you could do a compression test to find out if the block is compromised.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

·
Registered
2,142 Posts
Call the dealer for a engine quote.

Someone blew a piston that dealer wouldn't warranty. Cost him $3500 for a new engine and install from the dealer.

If the mechanic wants $3G. That's a LOT of money. I'd defenitely look in to a new engine. Specially since head gaskets aren't usually worth repairing due to the simple fact that engine components don't like water in the oil. You might get the motor fixed and running but it probably won't last.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just had the car towed home..stars and runs, but still bubbling back to coolant reservoir. Leaning toward finding an entire engine and not messing around with the head gasket. Any recommendations for shop manuals or videos so I don't screw something up?? Couldn't find much on YouTube for this engine.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I just replaced the head gasket on a 2014 1.4. The head gasket is relatively easy to get to and straight forward

https://f01.justanswer.com/El_Jared/3530d989-94d9-4487-8128-550e4b37f5a7_cruze+head.pdf

·
Registered
16 Posts
Do a pressure check on each cylinder first to determine where the leak is. For each cylinder turn the crank to top dead center and put an air pressure line with 120 pounds of air on that spark plug hole to find out which area of the head gasket is leaking. Then pull the head and take a close look at the head gasket at that cylinder location. Take a close look at the cylinder for leaks and have the head pressure checked for leaks and flatness. Have it planed if not flat. Check the block for flatness. If everything is Ok, then just replace the head gasket. Not much money to do that and not difficult to do. Replacing the engine will probably cost more than the car is worth.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2012 1.4 turbo with 150k highway miles... relatively trouble-free for last few years... recently changed water outlet, but reused coolant line back to reservoir...long story short, that blew apart, coolant gone and car overheated. Pulled over and shut off immediately... fixed hose and refilled, but exhaust gas bubbling through coolant tank bottom hose. Mechanic wants to install new head gasket, machine the head if it's not cracked, new water pump, and new timing chain. $3k. New engine is $6-7k or I can try getting a salvage and do it myself (he won't put in used engine). Anyone else had this problem? Shame to scrap this car, but I'm pretty close.
He's out of his mind that's way too much money dealerships don't even charge that he's doing the head gasket he's right there he might as well do the timing chain not much more work the most that job should cost you even by a dealer is 2300 Max you can get a used motor with only 50,000 miles four five hundred bucks 700 tops and have it put in for another 500 maybe 800 if you find the right mechanic

·
Registered
4 Posts
Just had the car towed home..stars and runs, but still bubbling back to coolant reservoir. Leaning toward finding an entire engine and not messing around with the head gasket. Any recommendations for shop manuals or videos so I don't screw something up?? Couldn't find much on YouTube for this engine.
You could do the head gasket yourself it's not that hard seen a lot of money Don Mountain I believe gave you the exact instructions and you will save a lot of money I am going through the same exact thing with my 2017 Chevy Cruze fortunately I am under warranty

·
Registered
3 Posts
same problem did all work myself including sanding down the warped head on fat table total cost $189.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I think I have that in the tools I bought and the locking kit. Mine has been sitting for a few months due to other disasters....having trouble getting the exhaust manifold off and the plug to lock the camshaft bolt is stripped...may just have someone come pick it up and give up.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts