Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2012 cruze. My headlights flicker while driving. It doesn't do it any other time. If its in park, neutral, lights are set in auto or manual. And its not constant. I do notice that the battery voltage changes with the flickering. I have had the alternator checked and all the grounds and it is still doing it. Am I missing something??? thanks

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I've noticed that my headlights will slightly flicker when maneuvering into my stall at home. It appears to be due to the power draw of the electric power steering. Do the lights flicker at just slow speed? Do they flicker when you turn the wheel? Does the engine RPM drop significantly when the flicker?

It really shouldn't be that noticeable, but if we can determine if the problem is random or due to power draw, that would be a clue.

·
Premium Member
733 Posts
I've noticed that my headlights will slightly flicker when maneuvering into my stall at home. It appears to be due to the power draw of the electric power steering. Do the lights flicker at just slow speed? Do they flicker when you turn the wheel? Does the engine RPM drop significantly when the flicker?

It really shouldn't be that noticeable, but if we can determine if the problem is random or due to power draw, that would be a clue.
I noticed mine do the same thing. I never really thought of the power steering being the cause, but maybe that's it. I also noticed the HVAC fan speed will slow down slightly (most noticeable when fan is on high) when the lights dim as well.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Check the ground strap for the electronic steering to make sure that you have a solid contact for a complete circuit ..

How many amps does the electomechanical steering draw ?

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
How many amps does the electomechanical steering draw ?
Good question. I don't see it listed in the fuse box, so it's probably a fusible link. The biggest fuse in the fuse box is 50A. So I'm guessing it's that or more. It takes a lot of power to move those wheels when you're standing still.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Anyone have any progress on this? My 2014 also dims the headlights as I come to a stop. Almost got creamed a couple times at 4-way stops by other cars. I guess they thought I was saying "go ahead". When it occurs, the wheels aren't being turned, so I wouldn't think it's the PS. Voltage only drop .1volts. Dealer said they "couldn't duplicate". Not surprised as it was a bright sunny day.

I have also noticed that the heater fan will slow a bit when the headlights dim.

The dealer checked the alternator and the battery, but said that everything was fine.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.