Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that there are many threads out there regarding the HID headlights for the Cruze; I’ve been reading the extensively and doing research online. Please forgive me if what I’m about to ask has been answered because I haven’t been able to find it.

I am a little fuzzy on what exactly I need to get the HID, Projector headlights that are in some vehicles (with that bright, blueish glow). I was under the assumption that projector headlights WERE HID, but I have since realized this is not the case and can use halogen bulbs.

I am too nervous/inexperienced to do a retrofit myself (and assume this is very costly). I was recommended to check out the Spyder projector headlights that are a direct replacement for the ones in my Cruze, then get an aftermarket HID conversion kit. This seems like the most simple route, if true.

Can anybody shed some light on this and help point me in the right direction? I’m feeling very overwhelmed.

P.S. Gathering from the threads, I DO know not to just throw in an HID bulb into my stock headlamps. Not street legal and it will blind other drivers.

Thanks so much in advance for the time to read/respond.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Well - technically you can throw in HIDs in your stock headlights but yes, it is illegal and not DOT-approved. However, I have an HID set in my 07 Harley Davidson truck with stock head lights - no problems with the police and oncoming traffic whatsoever. I think as long as you aligned them properly and not blinding any oncoming traffic, you're good to go. I have never used Spyder projector headlights before so I can't really comment on that.

If money is not tight - I'd buy stock headlights, send it to a retrofitter (customize the way you want it done), get a set of HID, and then put them on the car when it's all done! Oh... and don't forget to post pictures on here either.

Hope this helps.

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
Well - technically you can throw in HIDs in your stock headlights but yes, it is illegal and not DOT-approved. However, I have an HID set in my 07 Harley Davidson truck with stock head lights - no problems with the police and oncoming traffic whatsoever. I think as long as you aligned them properly and not blinding any oncoming traffic, you're good to go. I have never used Spyder projector headlights before so I can't really comment on that.

If money is not tight - I'd buy stock headlights, send it to a retrofitter (customize the way you want it done), get a set of HID, and then put them on the car when it's all done! Oh... and don't forget to post pictures on here either.

Hope this helps.
Aligning them properly has nothing to do with it. You can align them "better" to reduce glare, but then you've got a focus spot on the ground right in front of your car, which defeats the purpose of better lighting to begin with. Your eyes adjust to the brighter focus of light right in front of you, and you use long-distance visibility. Might as well just use the halogens at that point.

To the OP: there are companies out there that sell new headlight housings with projectors already in them. Most if not all of these can be run with HID bulbs instead of halogens, which will provide about the same amount of radiating heat.

I know that carid.com sells some projector housings, and there are a few out there from other sellers as well. Generally speaking, these can use HID bulbs, but I could let you know about specific models if you list them.

·
Registered
274 Posts
I know that there are many threads out there regarding the HID headlights for the Cruze; I’ve been reading the extensively and doing research online. Please forgive me if what I’m about to ask has been answered because I haven’t been able to find it.

I am a little fuzzy on what exactly I need to get the HID, Projector headlights that are in some vehicles (with that bright, blueish glow). I was under the assumption that projector headlights WERE HID, but I have since realized this is not the case and can use halogen bulbs.

I am too nervous/inexperienced to do a retrofit myself (and assume this is very costly). I was recommended to check out the Spyder projector headlights that are a direct replacement for the ones in my Cruze, then get an aftermarket HID conversion kit. This seems like the most simple route, if true.

Can anybody shed some light on this and help point me in the right direction? I’m feeling very overwhelmed.

P.S. Gathering from the threads, I DO know not to just throw in an HID bulb into my stock headlamps. Not street legal and it will blind other drivers.

Thanks so much in advance for the time to read/respond.
Depends on how much u want to spend. If you're looking for the projector and HID look then expect to pay between $400 to $600 total (projector kit + hid).. Like Extremerevolutions said, u can put HID in your regular assembly but it won't be legal and even if u do adjust the lights your car still won't pass inspection depending on the state u live in.

I would suggest that u find the projector kit that u like and comparison shop prices, don't just buy the first one u see. From the research I did b4 my purchases I noticed many different sites have the same kits for the same price but only few offer free shipping along with discounts at checkout. For example, I almost purchased my projector kit directly from the CARiD website only to find that CARiD has a store on Ebay that had the same kit for $80 cheaper. Always comparison shop b4 u buy. I have 3 different websites that I purchase all my aftermarket parts from. Each one has a different deal every week.
Do u have a custom shop in your town or near u? If so have them install your HID lights for u, after u purchase your projector kit.. Price of HID and installation shouldn't cost more than $100. Tell them u want 6K Xenon bulbs. Important note anything higher than 6K bulbs then you'll be flirting with the law. U want to stay away from bulbs like red, blue and purple because they are emergency colors.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aligning them properly has nothing to do with it. You can align them "better" to reduce glare, but then you've got a focus spot on the ground right in front of your car, which defeats the purpose of better lighting to begin with. Your eyes adjust to the brighter focus of light right in front of you, and you use long-distance visibility. Might as well just use the halogens at that point.

To the OP: there are companies out there that sell new headlight housings with projectors already in them. Most if not all of these can be run with HID bulbs instead of halogens, which will provide about the same amount of radiating heat.

I know that carid.com sells some projector housings, and there are a few out there from other sellers as well. Generally speaking, these can use HID bulbs, but I could let you know about specific models if you list them.
Thank you so much for the response and information.

Pardon me for seeming stupid, but simply placing HID bulbs into a projector housing; does that give the same amount of light as a true HID? I for some reason thought you had to get some type of kit or something that increased the power output. Like I said, I'm such a novice when it comes to these things that the technical side is foreign to me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Depends on how much u want to spend. If you're looking for the projector and HID look then expect to pay between $400 to $600 total (projector kit + hid).. Like Extremerevolutions said, u can put HID in your regular assembly but it won't be legal and even if u do adjust the lights your car still won't pass inspection depending on the state u live in.

I would suggest that u find the projector kit that u like and comparison shop prices, don't just buy the first one u see. From the research I did b4 my purchases I noticed many different sites have the same kits for the same price but only few offer free shipping along with discounts at checkout. For example, I almost purchased my projector kit directly from the CARiD website only to find that CARiD has a store on Ebay that had the same kit for $80 cheaper. Always comparison shop b4 u buy. I have 3 different websites that I purchase all my aftermarket parts from. Each one has a different deal every week.
Do u have a custom shop in your town or near u? If so have them install your HID lights for u, after u purchase your projector kit.. Price of HID and installation shouldn't cost more than $100. Tell them u want 6K Xenon bulbs. Important note anything higher than 6K bulbs then you'll be flirting with the law. U want to stay away from bulbs like red, blue and purple because they are emergency colors.
I really appreciate the advice to comparison shop. I've noticed that when searching the same thing there are tons of options available and the prices DO vary rather significantly...it's all in what I need I suppose.

I was hoping not to spend more than $500-$600 total. I emailed a local custom shop about the whole retrofit thing and they denounced it, saying that they didn't have an oven to heat and pull apart my stock headlight assembly to retrofit and that they had never seen good results with that. They are the ones that had recommended I buy a Spyder or some type of ready to go, bolt-in direct replacement projector for my stock headlamps and go with an HID Conversion Kit to get the actual HID output.

Why does this have to be so confusing?! Come on Chevy, give us the option during the car buying process OEM! :)

·
Premium Member
5,157 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
I really appreciate the advice to comparison shop. I've noticed that when searching the same thing there are tons of options available and the prices DO vary rather significantly...it's all in what I need I suppose.

I was hoping not to spend more than $500-$600 total. I emailed a local custom shop about the whole retrofit thing and they denounced it, saying that they didn't have an oven to heat and pull apart my stock headlight assembly to retrofit and that they had never seen good results with that. They are the ones that had recommended I buy a Spyder or some type of ready to go, bolt-in direct replacement projector for my stock headlamps and go with an HID Conversion Kit to get the actual HID output.

Why does this have to be so confusing?! Come on Chevy, give us the option during the car buying process OEM! :)
It's really not confusing. U just need to understand what HID vs projector is.. Basically the HID (high-intensity discharge) is the light itself.. The projector, is simply just the lense.. I'll try to explain as simply as possible.. The projector lense basically emits the light out in a straight beam. Vs no projector lense the light is scattered. Wether or not u have HID or halogen lights installed in your factory assembly the light will be scattered. Now if u put halogen or HID in the projector lense the light will be a straight foward beam.

Since u have $500-$600 to spend on your upgrade, u could buy just about anythin u wanted. Personally I don't like the Spyder kits. I prefer CG which is what I have now but whatever u feel is your style go for it. There are quite a few different brands out there. Just don't go for the cheapest. I paid a total of $558 for my kit + HID + installation. $458 for projector kit and $100 for HID/conversion kit, installations included.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's really not confusing. U just need to understand what HID vs projector is.. Basically the HID (high-intensity discharge) is the light itself.. The projector, is simply just the lense.. I'll try to explain as simply as possible.. The projector lense basically emits the light out in a straight beam. Vs no projector lense the light is scattered. Wether or not u have HID or halogen lights installed in your factory assembly the light will be scattered. Now if u put halogen or HID in the projector lense the light will be a straight foward beam.

Since u have $500-$600 to spend on your upgrade, u could buy just about anythin u wanted. Personally I don't like the Spyder kits. I prefer CG which is what I have now but whatever u feel is your style go for it. There are quite a few different brands out there. Just don't go for the cheapest. I paid a total of $558 for my kit + HID + installation. $458 for projector kit and $100 for HID/conversion kit, installations included.
All of this info is great, and much appreciated.

I'm much more well-rounded now that I've read. Did you buy actual new headlight assemblies w/the projector kit installed already or have your stock lamps retrofitted? I like the look you have. I'm mildly concerned with buying headlamps that are subpar and will chip and degrade quickly.

Thanks.

·
Registered
274 Posts
All of this info is great, and much appreciated.

I'm much more well-rounded now that I've read. Did you buy actual new headlight assemblies w/the projector kit installed already or have your stock lamps retrofitted? I like the look you have. I'm mildly concerned with buying headlamps that are subpar and will chip and degrade quickly.

Thanks.
The projector lenses come already installed in the assembly. NO retrofit needed for the kit i have. U just need to have the HID lights installed. HID lights will only work with an HID a conversion kit though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.