Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My driver side headlight went out in the past 24 hours, just noticed today. But the high beam still works on it. Is this a fuse issue or a bulb issue? I know some bulbs have 2 elements, one for high & one for low. I have the Philips X-treme Power bulbs. Just want to know if i should order a new bulb today, or stop by the store after work for a fuse (do we have extra fuses in our box?)

·
Registered
412 Posts
Bulb. Replace both at the same time, as the other will go shortly as well.
The x-treme bulbs do not last as long as the standard bulbs do.

·
Premium Member
1,013 Posts
My driver side headlight went out in the past 24 hours, just noticed today. But the high beam still works on it. Is this a fuse issue or a bulb issue? I know some bulbs have 2 elements, one for high & one for low. I have the Philips X-treme Power bulbs. Just want to know if i should order a new bulb today, or stop by the store after work for a fuse (do we have extra fuses in our box?)
Yeah he's right, it's a bulb issue, they're dual filament so the low beam filament must have burnt out but the high beam didn't.

·
Super Moderator
5,170 Posts
Yeah he's right, it's a bulb issue, they're dual filament so the low beam filament must have burnt out but the high beam didn't.

It is a bulb issue and I bet if you pull it out you will see a little black residue on the bad bulb and the other one won't be far behind. That is why they are sold in packs of 2. We went thru that when we had the old "seal beam" head lights. People coming in: "I only got one light out" and lying I just replaced the other one or I am getting rid of the car so I don't need to replace the other one. And seeing them the following week buying the other bulb. Either that or blinding drivers coming the other way with the mismatched lights.

·
Premium Member
1,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bummer, only 18 months out of those. Are those still the recommended bulb around here? Philips Xtreme Power? Sylvania zXe used to be a thing, as di Eurdezigns bulbs.

·
Premium Member
249 Posts
Another reason to replace both at the same time is to ensure the two headlight burn at the same colour. An aging bulb actually shift down the brightness and colour spectrum, maybe enough to be noticable.

Handle the good bulb with care and keep it clean and toss it in the car somewhere safe, for when you need to replace your next bulb as a emergency backup.

Do you intend to install super brights or 6000K? if so be aware that they have a much shorter expected lifespan than stock which are around 4000K.

·
Super Moderator
5,170 Posts
I personally would just go up to the local auto parts store and get a set of "Sylvanias" I think that is what you will find in most parts stores. The Phillips are just put in from the factory. I am sure that is what is my car/I replaced within a few months of buying. I know when a part goes bad on a new car it makes you feel like taking I back and demanding a new car LOL.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts