Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just wondering if anyone else has this happen and if it can be fixed or needs to befixed. Whenever I stop with the headlights on and then start to go, the headlights dim very slightly for a second, then go back to normal brightness. Never seen this before in any of my previous cars.

Edit: This should be in the Gen1 section. If a mod could move this, please. Sorry. :banghead:

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
You have a manual. Your RPMs are dipping below the threshold for full power for a moment as you take off. It could happen with an automatic as well; my second gen does it. Drives me nuts.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
But my Vibe is a 6 speed manual too. It doesnt do it. ;)

·
Registered
803 Posts
First, perform the following:

1. Clean battery terminals.
2. Battery health check.
3. Alternator health check.

Accelerating will cause the engine to tilt a bit on its mounts. This may be tugging at your ground straps. Check all points and ensure they have good contact and are secure. Also ensure that any wire harnesses aren't doing the same like the alternator or bulb harnesses.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
But my Vibe is a 6 speed manual too. It doesnt do it. ;)
I'm not saying it's an all manual problem, I'm saying it's a Cruze manual problem. :p My manual Cruze does it as well. :) Battery health is what I would check first.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My Cruze doesn't do this. My Montana did when running the A/C and blower on defrost mode. Are you seeing this with all interior electrical (radio, A/C, blower, etc.) turned off? If so then you either have an alternator issue or a battery getting ready to strand you.

·
Premium Member
1,372 Posts
My Cruze doesn't do this. My Montana did when running the A/C and blower on defrost mode. Are you seeing this with all interior electrical (radio, A/C, blower, etc.) turned off? If so then you either have an alternator issue or a battery getting ready to strand you.
Mine only does it when I have my headlights, fog lights, radio, maps, wifi, and heated seats on.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Whenever I stop with the headlights on and then start to go, the headlights dim very slightly for a second, then go back to normal brightness. Never seen this before in any of my previous cars.
I haven't noticed it, but I wouldn't be surprised. The Cruze has an intelligent charging system that tends to stop charging when engine power is needed and increase charging when it's not (like downhill or braking). The ECM is probably conserving engine power so there's more for the drive wheels.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not saying it's an all manual problem, I'm saying it's a Cruze manual problem. :p My manual Cruze does it as well. :) Battery health is what I would check first.
LOL. I know.Was just joking about the Vibe. ;) At least my cruze isnt the only one that does it.

I'll have to try turning everything off and see if it does it and have the battery checked.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts