Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All,

I am having a very strange issue with my heating in my 2012 Holden/Chevy Cruze Hatchback (1.6L engine RHD). The passenger side of the car is getting no/some heat. The first time I noticed, the heat dial was always in the red. The driver’s side is blowing almost uncomfortably hot air. Meanwhile both passenger’s side vents are blowing cool air. However, if I fiddle around with the temperature control I can get the vents on the passenger’s side to blow warm air.

Troubleshooting notes:

• Turn dial all the way to cold, passenger and driver vents blow cold air (expected) – turn dial all the way to hot, passenger side blowing out the same cold air but driver’s side blowing extremely hot air.

• In addition to the above; turn dial about 10% (keeping it in the warm) the passenger’s vents start to heat up. Continue turning all the way to cold, the passenger vents get warmer (as the actuator turns the doors to cool) then back to cold as expected.

• To sum things up, it seems like both (passenger and driver) vents are giving the expected temperature on cold. However, when turning the dial to hot/warm the driver’s side responds correctly while the passenger vent is intermittent. Sometimes it will get warm (but not as warm as the driver’s side) and sometimes it will simply stay cold while the driver’s side is hot. It seems like I must turn the dial back and forth a couple of times in order to the passenger’s side to blow hot air (but not get as hot as driver’s side).

Potential problems and resolutions:

• Check engine coolant/antifreeze – checked and the antifreeze is at the correct level.

• Check blend door/temperature actuator – removed and verified it is turning. However, I am second guessing if this still could be a problem considering the issue appears intermittent.

• Broken blend door – lack of diagrams and information on the web, I am unsure how to check the blend door. I assume the blend door is found inside the “Heater and AC Evaporator Core” (in the service manual) or the AC & Heater Assembly found here https://www.gmpartsdirect.com/auto-.../hvac-cat/automatic-temperature-controls-scat. Assuming this is the correct part to take apart, is there any easier way to check the blend door without tearing the entire dash out?

• Bad heater core – any easy way to check this? Not sure if this indicates anything but the passenger’s side; pipe to the heater core was hot to the touch.

Additional information:

• If I change the mode to inside/outside air circulation, it does not appear to make a difference

• If I change the mode to defrost, it appears ONLY cool air will blow out of the windshield defroster vents on the passenger's side. But hot air (as expected) on the driver's side.

Has anyone had experiences with a similar issue or recommendations? I only recently discovered this problem is intermittent. I can sometimes get heat on the passenger’s side, but it is still not as hot as the driver’s side. I am second guessing if the actuator could be causing this (somehow not turning the blend doors fully? Somehow affecting the passenger’s vents more?). I am not ruling out the heater core but I don’t think a half-bad heater core could be causing these symptoms?

I am thinking this issue could be caused by evaporator core; specifically, the temperature/blend door flaps. (Does anyone know a better way to test the blend doors without ripping out the entre dash?) Any advice on this would be much appreciated as I am starting to lose my mind on this problem.

Resources:

Chevy Cruze Service Manual
: Cruze_Service_Manual

Other Posts that have the same/similar issues:

http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/6-ne...ing-hot-drivers-side-cold-passenger-side.html
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/6-new-cruzetalk-start-here/148081-heater-problem-2.html
http://www.cruzetalk.com/forum/9-ge...ng-hot-driver-side-cold-passenger-side-2.html

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello! I'm brand new to the hotel, I just purchased a 2013 Cruze less than a year ago and now I'm having this same problem. I only get heat on the passenger side and cold air on the driver's side. Curious if you had any luck getting this fixed. Any as would be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
One hose to the heater car SHOULD be hot. The other should be colder. If the heater core starts to plug up. The cold hose will be almost as warm as the hot hose.

The heater core works in the same manner as the radiator. Air being blown through the core is what cools it down. While the air heats up to make the cab warm.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello! I'm brand new to the hotel, I just purchased a 2013 Cruze less than a year ago and now I'm having this same problem. I only get heat on the passenger side and cold air on the driver's side. Curious if you had any luck getting this fixed. Any as would be greatly appreciated
Did you have any luck getting this fixed as I've got same problem in same car

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, am having the same problem. did you find a solution
Exactly same problem on a 2013 Cruze. Actuators chacked and work well but it has to be a stuck door. Unfortunately for me I live in France and mechanich here are really incompetent other than change good parts and charge half the price of the vehicle ( so bad news for me, I think i'll let it stay that way - winters are short here and mild )

·
Registered
2 Posts
So, on cold all ok, on hot it works only for passenger side. On driver side is outside cold. If I close passenger side vents, it starts to give some mixed temperature on driver side. Checked actuators, all work ( as it changes temperature on the right). It is not a bi-zone car so it has to be one of admission double doors . But to get there you need a competent mechanic .And a lot of work, hours.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.