Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a set of DEPO clear smoked side markers and was warned by DEPO about some LEDs melting them. I figured I would ask before purchasing them.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I've got HP5 (yellow) and I haven't seen a problem. But then, I'm always taking short trips.

And you might want to consider a HP5. The HP3 white is nice and bright, but the resulting color tends to look more like Country Time lemonade in the stock lens than a proper yellow.

While on paper, the HP3 yellow puts out the same amount of light, it doesn't look that way to the eye. You have to bump up to the HP5. At least that's what I remember having in my car.

·
Super Moderator
11,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got HP5 (yellow) and I haven't seen a problem. But then, I'm always taking short trips.

And you might want to consider a HP5. The HP3 white is nice and bright, but the resulting color tends to look more like Country Time lemonade in the stock lens than a proper yellow.

While on paper, the HP3 yellow puts out the same amount of light, it doesn't look that way to the eye. You have to bump up to the HP5. At least that's what I remember having in my car.
I do want the yellow, and thought brighter would be better with the smoked lenses, but wanted to make sure they would not cause issues with the side-markers.

·
Site Sponsor
349 Posts
Our LED replacements will typically generate considerably less heat than their incandescent counterparts FWIW. It's much safer heat-wise, to run LED vs. an OEM incandescent in an aftermarket housing.

Nick C.

·
Super Moderator
11,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Our LED replacements will typically generate considerably less heat than their incandescent counterparts FWIW. It's much safer heat-wise, to run LED vs. an OEM incandescent in an aftermarket housing.

Nick C.
So the HP5, the brightest LED will run cooler than the stock lamp? Just want to be absolute on this.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I'm trying to figure out which LEDs DEPO could be referring to. The only thing that could get hot enough to melt plastic would be an aluminum housing (if a particular LED bulb had one). But this should never come into contact with anything. Unless the bulb is longer and may rest on plastic somehow but I still can't see that every happening.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I'm trying to figure out which LEDs DEPO could be referring to.
Perhaps one with a resistor to provide the proper loading to prevent setting codes. (HP3/HP5 does NOT have this load resistor - but not really an issue for most applications in the Cruze.) It may set a "hidden" code that you'd have to look for. I know my dealer discovered them.

·
Super Moderator
11,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I'm trying to figure out which LEDs DEPO could be referring to. The only thing that could get hot enough to melt plastic would be an aluminum housing (if a particular LED bulb had one). But this should never come into contact with anything. Unless the bulb is longer and may rest on plastic somehow but I still can't see that every happening.
This is a line from one of my emails to / from DEPO:

"Please note that we do recommend taking great care in selecting LED bulbs as some bulbs may generate excessive heat owing to their design which may damage the housing.

Hope this helps, feel free to let us know if you have any additional questions as we'd be glad to help!

Regards,
Ulises"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts