Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Sure sign of low refrigerant, very common. Not called free-on anymore, but R-134a. DuPont's trade name for this new stuff is called Suva, don't asked me where they came up with this name.

Freon is also a DuPont trade name for R-12, but not even close to being free anymore. Namely thanks to Al Gore that doesn't know crap about anything.

·
10,712 Posts
Sure sign of low refrigerant, very common. Not called free-on anymore, but R-134a. DuPont's trade name for this new stuff is called Suva, don't asked me where they came up with this name.

Freon is also a DuPont trade name for R-12, but not even close to being free anymore. Namely thanks to Al Gore that doesn't know crap about anything.
Wouldn't that be the workings of a heat pump vs liquid heater core? We were told to not call it freon but our instructors would shorten the word refrigerant to reefer. "Use the reefer wrench on the king valve."

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
2013, 28000 miles and yes still under warranty but if its a simple fix i would do that rather than put it off the road for a day or 2

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Could have made the wrong assumption about the AC portion of the Cruze, OP did say heater is blowing cold air on one side, assumed warmed air on the other side. Maybe he wants warm air on both sides? This would be a different problem.

Ha, if my wife or four daughters tell that their thingamajigger is not working, tell them don't try to explain it, I will take it for a test drive. Ha, when I do, I learn they were correct, the thingamajigger is not working, LOL.

·
Conservative Acoustic Foam
1,028 Posts
The Cruze has separate heater cores for each side of the car?!

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
The Cruze has separate heater cores for each side of the car?!
No, but I believe it does have the same dual-duct system that the Verano uses (dual climate control). But the Cruse just has it's doors controlled by a common control rather than dual activators like the Verano.

So it could be door malfunction such that the door it's not working the same way for both side. Such as broken linkage.

But first, let's take care of the simple stuff - check the coolant level. I've seen the suggestion before that low coolant can affect one side before the other. (Perhaps due to inadequate flow.) Because of the dual duct system, the driver can be left in the cold unless the whole core gets warm.

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
Cruze only has one temperature knob controlled servo driven blend door that regulates the heat.

Heater core is mounted under the glove box, and has a long ride to the drivers side. But you can't get heat without proper airflow, so is this an airflow problem? Takes several pages to learn exactly what the problem is, but only seconds when in the vehicle itself. All vents should have fairly even air flow accomplished by a four speed blower motor.

Low coolant is a possibility for insufficient heat, but would have have engine temperature problems. With air flow, most common problem is a plugged cabin air filter. And should be the first and easiest thing to check.

At engine operating temperature, meter should show midrange, DIC 220*F, both heater hoses under the hood should be very hot to the touch and about the same temperature. With blower at 4, in vent mode, all doors should have a fairly equal quite high blast of air. Only takes seconds to check all this stuff. Temperature control a minimum, air should be about the same as the ambient temperature, and read hot at maximum.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
checked coolant level seemed fine added some anyway in case the level drops when the engine is running and its still the same cold on passenger side hot on driver side all vents blowing evenly

·
Registered
170 Posts
I know this thread is a few months old, but I'm having the same issue and want to see if there are any updates. My 2013 ECO has been at the dealer since last Friday. The heater blows cold air on the passenger's side and hot on the drivers. I've also been losing coolant and having fogged windows/windshield.

They replaced the water pump under warranty and told me it needed a heater core. I agreed to pay for it, as I'm at 96K. They replaced it yesterday, had issues with getting the system purged and called today and said it didn't fix the problem. They said they need to remove the HVAC box which could run $7-800 dollars just to find out what the problem is. About 6 months ago, they replace the coolant tube.

It seems to me that they could tell whether the actuator doors are opening or not from the computer, can't they?

I'm just getting frustrated with all of this coolant, fogging windshield issue. I often wonder how it's affecting my health, breathing all of that crap all the time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

·
Chevrolet Customer Assistance Representative
5,722 Posts
I know this thread is a few months old, but I'm having the same issue and want to see if there are any updates. My 2013 ECO has been at the dealer since last Friday. The heater blows cold air on the passenger's side and hot on the drivers. I've also been losing coolant and having fogged windows/windshield.

They replaced the water pump under warranty and told me it needed a heater core. I agreed to pay for it, as I'm at 96K. They replaced it yesterday, had issues with getting the system purged and called today and said it didn't fix the problem. They said they need to remove the HVAC box which could run $7-800 dollars just to find out what the problem is. About 6 months ago, they replace the coolant tube.

It seems to me that they could tell whether the actuator doors are opening or not from the computer, can't they?

I'm just getting frustrated with all of this coolant, fogging windshield issue. I often wonder how it's affecting my health, breathing all of that crap all the time.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Hello ctrider,

I regret to hear that you are experiencing concerns with your Cruze and apologize for any inconvenience caused. I would be more than happy to reach out to your dealership and act as an extra layer of assistance. If you would like to proceed, please send a private message with your full contact information, VIN, current mileage, and the name of your dealer. Feel free to include any questions that you may have. I am always glad to be of assistance.

Cecil J.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
170 Posts
Thank you, Cecil. PM to follow...

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
I've also been losing coolant and having fogged windows/windshield.
Pretty clear indication of a leak. Leaks on the inside can cause fogged windows, but there would be a strong odor of coolant. Lack of fresh air will cause fogging issues.

Low coolant as been suggested as a cause of uneven heating. For the Cruze, the doors for left/right are supposed to be linked together and using a single actuator. I'm not sure what it would take to get in there and make sure it's working as it should.

·
Registered
170 Posts
I was quoted $700-800 just to take things apart to see what was wrong, so I could see this becoming very expensive. They want to take out the hvac box to see if the actuator is working properly.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't suppose they worked out what it was in the end? I am having the same problem and no-one seems to know what is causing it?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts