Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the past few years I've been taking my car to the dealership in hopes of figuring out what was causing a burning oil smell inside the cabin while running my vents in either hot or cold air. Every time dealer told me they couldn't duplicate the issue. Took my car to an independent mechanic and found my turbo was cracked in two places and had been leaking oil all over the exhaust pipe beneath it. Finally got it fixed for what has been the biggest repair bill I've ever had on this car.

2011 1.4l with 114k miles.

Two days after getting my car back, when I run my vents it constantly blows the hottest air I've ever felt. This happens even while the knob is turned all the way to cool, and whether or not the ac button is activated or not. To make matters worse, no matter what button I press for the air circulation (be it feet only, defrost, face only, etc.) it stays in a random setting. The light underneath the button I choose will illuminate but the circulation will not change at all. It's different every time I start my car. Just now I spent 30 minutes with the air blowing hot lava in my face, while the setting was on feet only / cold. I turn the car off, and turn it back on and now the air is blowing out of my defrost area. I have no idea what's causing this, but it was working fine the past two days!

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
You might want to disconnect the battery, wait a bit and reconnect. When you start the car, let the A/C do it's thing for about a minute. That should re-calibrate the doors inside the unit. See if that helps.

It's possible that a door is broken, but then I'd expect a consistent result, not random.

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
You might want to disconnect the battery, wait a bit and reconnect. When you start the car, let the A/C do it's thing for about a minute. That should re-calibrate the doors inside the unit. See if that helps.

It's possible that a door is broken, but then I'd expect a consistent result, not random.
I will certainly try that out tomorrow after work. At this point I’m completely tapped out when it comes to my car lol. $2300 for turbo and a bunch of other worn parts getting replaced has wiped me out. Not looking forward to a busted heating system at the start of Colorado winter.

·
Premium Member
7,804 Posts
Just make sure the driver's door is closed when you reconnect. On my car, if I leave the door open, I get a power steering error.

·
Super Moderator
6,990 Posts
For the past few years I've been taking my car to the dealership in hopes of figuring out what was causing a burning oil smell inside the cabin while running my vents in either hot or cold air. Every time dealer told me they couldn't duplicate the issue. Took my car to an independent mechanic and found my turbo was cracked in two places and had been leaking oil all over the exhaust pipe beneath it. Finally got it fixed for what has been the biggest repair bill I've ever had on this car.

2011 1.4l with 114k miles.

Two days after getting my car back, when I run my vents it constantly blows the hottest air I've ever felt. This happens even while the knob is turned all the way to cool, and whether or not the ac button is activated or not. To make matters worse, no matter what button I press for the air circulation (be it feet only, defrost, face only, etc.) it stays in a random setting. The light underneath the button I choose will illuminate but the circulation will not change at all. It's different every time I start my car. Just now I spent 30 minutes with the air blowing hot lava in my face, while the setting was on feet only / cold. I turn the car off, and turn it back on and now the air is blowing out of my defrost area. I have no idea what's causing this, but it was working fine the past two days!

[h=1]Cruze Cabin Odors, Sources, and Resolution Summary[/h]
[h=1]2013 Cruze oil smell from heater[/h]

If the battery reset doesn't work, try this:

[h=1]No air from vents![/h]

1 - 5 of 5 Posts