Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

I have read a few of the posts, but from what I could find there was not much of a solution. About 2 weeks ago I realized my heat was just completely gone in my car, I checked my coolant reservoir and there was practically nothing in there. I topped it off, checked the next day in my garage and my parking spot at work and there was a sizeable leak. Yesterday about 2 minutes from my house I got the AC off message, I was able to get it home and check the coolant, there was still coolant and took less than quart before it was topped off. This morning, after the car sitting all night the moment I turned on that message was waiting for me again and the fan/motor (sorry very ignorant when it comes to cars) sounded like it was running harder/louder than normal. The temperature gauge does not move AT ALL, so that's an issue, if the car is actually hot then that is not working, or if the sensor that triggers that is wrong and it is displaying the message incorrectly, but the fan/motor sounds makes me thing the gauge is wrong.

This is most likely totally unrelated and I just have terrible luck, but today after it started making that noise I turned it off, waited a few minutes to see if the coolant needed to flow or take a minute. The car would not start, the dome light worked, the keyfob to unlock the car worked, so I thought it was the starter? Some people are telling me it is probably my battery, but would the dome and stuff still work if that was the case? It does sound like when a car is dead and won't start so I am split on what it could be. I don't think the two are related, so I have two separate issues, but I want to know if i am correct in diagnosing any of this and next steps. I have ordered 2 temp sensors, one that is supposed to go near the radiator and one that will no near the thermostat. The thermostat was changed about 6~ months ago. This obviously will not fix the coolant leak, but it may tackle one of the issues.

My plan was to try and jump my car this evening and see if it worked, if it did work I was going to just go buy a new battery and replace it and knock another issue out. My main issue is I do not have a way to lift the car to check where the leak is coming from, so I wanted to know if there was a most common spot with this model that they leak. From what I could see when I filled it, it almost looked like it was leaking from almost bottom center of the reservoir. but I could not confirm that wasn't just excess coolant from dumping it in. Any help would be appreciated, I know this was a lot of info at once.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Hey all,

I have read a few of the posts, but from what I could find there was not much of a solution. About 2 weeks ago I realized my heat was just completely gone in my car, I checked my coolant reservoir and there was practically nothing in there. I topped it off, checked the next day in my garage and my parking spot at work and there was a sizeable leak. Yesterday about 2 minutes from my house I got the AC off message, I was able to get it home and check the coolant, there was still coolant and took less than quart before it was topped off. This morning, after the car sitting all night the moment I turned on that message was waiting for me again and the fan/motor (sorry very ignorant when it comes to cars) sounded like it was running harder/louder than normal. The temperature gauge does not move AT ALL, so that's an issue, if the car is actually hot then that is not working, or if the sensor that triggers that is wrong and it is displaying the message incorrectly, but the fan/motor sounds makes me thing the gauge is wrong.

This is most likely totally unrelated and I just have terrible luck, but today after it started making that noise I turned it off, waited a few minutes to see if the coolant needed to flow or take a minute. The car would not start, the dome light worked, the keyfob to unlock the car worked, so I thought it was the starter? Some people are telling me it is probably my battery, but would the dome and stuff still work if that was the case? It does sound like when a car is dead and won't start so I am split on what it could be. I don't think the two are related, so I have two separate issues, but I want to know if i am correct in diagnosing any of this and next steps. I have ordered 2 temp sensors, one that is supposed to go near the radiator and one that will no near the thermostat. The thermostat was changed about 6~ months ago. This obviously will not fix the coolant leak, but it may tackle one of the issues.

My plan was to try and jump my car this evening and see if it worked, if it did work I was going to just go buy a new battery and replace it and knock another issue out. My main issue is I do not have a way to lift the car to check where the leak is coming from, so I wanted to know if there was a most common spot with this model that they leak. From what I could see when I filled it, it almost looked like it was leaking from almost bottom center of the reservoir. but I could not confirm that wasn't just excess coolant from dumping it in. Any help would be appreciated, I know this was a lot of info at once.
remove your spark plugs and look at the top of your pistons. don't continue to drive with a coolant leak... quick way to junk the car

·
Registered
63 Posts
The hose connection to the bottom of the reservoir is not at the bottom but rather off to the side. If you are seeing fluid at the bottom center then its probably spillage.

·
Registered
1 Posts
First thing check your oil if its a chocolate milk colour thats bad if not then check how far it is to your closest mechanic....you really shouldn't drive it...seriously.!!!..
If it's to far ring them and see if they can come to you obviously it will cost you more, tell them what it is doing there is a test they can do to check if you have cylinder gasses in your radiator if so you have done your head or head gasket (expensive).
It could be your thermostat, that's quite easy and cheap to fix but most likely it's your radiator they are alloy and plastic and the alloy weakens and cracks at the join due to expanding and contracting...
Few things to think about

1 - 4 of 4 Posts