Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello everyone. My name is Jon and I am from the Dayton, Ohio area. I have always loved GM vehicles. I have owned three S-10s, 1992 Pontiac Bonneville SSEi, and currently a 2000 Cadillac Seville STS. As a kid the Cadillac Seville was my dream car and I still love it, but the gas bill and repairs are just getting too high. I am driving around 400 miles a week and averaging $200 a month in parts. The savings in gas and parts alone would pay the car payment on the Cruze. I have always owned used cars up to this point, but just got approved for my first car loan. I have some things I know I want in the Cruze and some other things I need some help deciding on. Your help would be much appreciated.

Definite-Automatic transmission and Jet black cloth interior

1.8 vs. 1.4 Turbo non-Eco vs. 1.4 Turbo Eco?-Has anyone done the math on the cost/benefit between each in terms of fuel economy? I can see a benefit in the non-Eco 1.4 vs. the 1.8 within 3-4 years of driving. Someone correct me if I am wrong, but since I am going with an automatic the 1.4 Eco wouldn't save me much over the 1.4 non-Eco until well over 10 years of driving?

RS or no RS? If I go with a 1LT with spoiler the only difference in the RS is the side skirts, correct? I like to do my own customizing and have many friends who paint for cheap. Can a nicer aftermarket side skirt package be bought for cheaper than what the RS package will cost me? I will probably de-badge the car so the RS emblems really mean nothing to me.

Color-I am debating between blue granite and black granite. I doubt anyone can help me much here. Just a decision I will have to make on my own. I have a black car right now and dirt/scratches show very bad, but black is hard to beat when polished and clean.

Planned upgrades-light tint and 18" wheels. Since the factory rims don't really matter to me any chance on getting the dealer to knock some money off by exchanging rims off an LS to an Eco or LT?

Also, since I have never bought a new car any advice on haggling with the dealers and finding the best price would be much appreciated.

I am not totally opposed to used, but my loan can only be used at a dealer and the price difference does not seem to be drastic between used and new so far. I do hear that these cars get better gas mileage when broken in so that could be a plus in going with used..

As of right now I have my eye on this one...

Miamisburg, OH 2012 Chevrolet Cruze 1LT New Sedan Centerville, OH Dayton, OH Jeff Schmitt Chevrolet South

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Welcome!!
I'll give some quick advice.

-Go with the 1.4L turbo, everyone LOVES it. Same horsepower as the 1.8L(138) , but around 25 more torque(148 vs. 123(1.8L)). The Eco(couple weight savings and lower gear ratios vs. LT) would be your best bet, as some of the guys here are gettin mid and even upper-40's in MPG's.

-RS package isnt available on ECO, but it includes a sporty 'body kit'(not just sideskirts, front and rear bumpers are different too), fog lights, deck spoiler, and chrome trim around the guages. I have it, and I like it, but you'd have to get the LT to get that.

-I got the Victory Red color, and I love it. My second choice would've been the Blue Topaz, Black is just too high-maintenance to keep clean. I've had 2 black cars, and I need a break from that color lol.

-Working for a dealership, I can tell you now that they probably will not switch wheels for you, you're better getting an aftermarket set for around a grand and keeping the stockies for winter. Our cars handle VERY well in the snow, no traction issues at all from most.

-If you are getting a new one, there really isnt room for bargain(as I've heard from the salesmen), as MSRP isn't much above cost. Keep an eye out for incentives though. I think there's a $250-500 floating around? Used on the other hand, I'm sure you'd have better luck negotiating.

Hope this helps! I'm sure the others here can fill in some more information, alot of us on here really know the Cruze well. Good luck with the purchase! Make sure you post pics of what you get! Again, Welcome aboard!:eek:ccasion14:

·
Registered
467 Posts
Welcome.
I have a 12 Eco in Blue Granite. Even though I have no experience with the 1.8, if I were to do it again, I'd still go with the 1.4. I like the RS package, but not enough to spend the extra money. That's really personal preference.

Color wise, if you like Black and don't mind the extra work that it requires I'd say go for it. Otherwise I'd probably recommend Blue Topaz. You still get the "glass shine" look of the darker color, but easier to maintain than black. I must mention though, Blue Granite does look much better in person than any pictures I've seen.

I'm not sure how much haggle room there is on these cars. I managed to get $700 off MSRP, but it was a battle to get it.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
-Go with the 1.4L turbo, everyone LOVES it. Same horsepower as the 1.8L(138) , but around 25 more torque(148 vs. 123(1.8L)). The Eco(couple weight savings and lower gear ratios vs. LT) would be your best bet, as some of the guys here are gettin mid and even upper-40's in MPG's.
Thanks for the reply. Are they getting that kind of gas mileage with the automatic or is that the manual? I have had a manual in the past and they are fun at first, but get old fast. I definitely want an automatic.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I'd say manual, you have more control over gears, obviously. But autos now have the auto-stick so it could be close. After driving an automatic for a while, I've come to dislike it and told myself that I'll always drive a manual. I drive them so much now that I dont even realize im pushing the clutch and shifting anymore, its just instinct. lol.

·
Premium Member
303 Posts
I would say dont get the Automatic unless you plan on getting the trifecta tune, there are issues with the automatic shifting with the factory. i've owned both autos and manuals, I hate auto and if I have the say so I will for ever own a manual. I love the Eco personally out of all the models, except I wish I coulda got the RS package with it, but the lower stance, better gas milage,rims made it worth it for me tho. It really all personal preference. just keep the speed down below 65 and you will get decent gas mileage with any model, just to say my highest mpg ave on a road trip was 51 mpgs

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would say dont get the Automatic unless you plan on getting the trifecta tune, there are issues with the automatic shifting with the factory. i've owned both autos and manuals, I hate auto and if I have the say so I will for ever own a manual. I love the Eco personally out of all the models, except I wish I coulda got the RS package with it, but the lower stance, better gas milage,rims made it worth it for me tho. It really all personal preference. just keep the speed down below 65 and you will get decent gas mileage with any model, just to say my highest mpg ave on a road trip was 51 mpgs

Sent from my SCH-I500 using AutoGuide.com App
I am definitely going with an automatic. The decision is between the 1.4 LT and the ECO at the moment. Just trying to figure out if the trade off of no sunroof or RS package is worth the 1mpg increase of the ECO.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
I just posted this on a different thread. It a pic of my DIC after a 20 mile trip. I have a 1LT RS 1.4L manual(read signature). I'm getting more than the estimated ECO even, I'm just hoping to stay there.
Vehicle Auto part Car Gauge Speedometer

·
Premium Member
2,704 Posts
I am definitely going with an automatic. The decision is between the 1.4 LT and the ECO at the moment. Just trying to figure out if the trade off of no sunroof or RS package is worth the 1mpg increase of the ECO.
It is not worth it. I don't know why they even sell the Automatic Eco. They should just put the aero mods on the standard 1LT. Plus, the Auto Eco has those lame tires.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Yeah, the automatic transmissions are rough to start with, they are 'adapting' transmissions and try to learn your driving style. Don't expect optimal milage at first and plan to throw certain 4 letter words at your car for a while, but they get better. IMO, I'd get to know the 'manual' side of the automatic, just in case. And if you're into tuning, there's a tune on the market by Trifecta for the automatic that help with the shift points and i believe makes them a little firmer. Not rough, just firm. Correct me if I'm wrong.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
It is not worth it. I don't know why they even sell the Automatic Eco. They should just put the aero mods on the standard 1LT. Plus, the Auto Eco has those lame tires.
So you are saying I should go with the 1LT?

Is the Trifecta tune available for the 1LT automatic or just the ECO automatic?

·
Administrator
15,765 Posts
I can guarantee you that all of the modifications and weight reductions that the Eco Auto has over the other trim models will make a far bigger difference than just 1mpg on the highway. The EPA testing does not accurately reflect the difference all of that stuff makes. You also get the 17" forged alloys, which IMO are the best wheels the Cruze has available.

I think it should have been obvious a long time ago that the EPA numbers don't mean jack when it comes to the Cruze, especially with how many Cruze Eco MT drivers are averaging more than 10mpg over EPA's "average/combined" fuel economy numbers.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Does the Cruze ECO have the spoiler?

Also, if I decide to go with the ECO does anyone know where I can get some side skirts similar to the RS for a decent price?

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I test drove a 1LT RS with the Allstar package today. It is definitely the model I want in Blue Granite. The dealership I linked to above puts a $1250 rust protection package on their cars that they are trying to force on me. I was ready to sign the papers until they did that. I have contacted another dealer now.

·
Premium Member
2,502 Posts
Thats ridiculous. Regardless, good choice!

Reactions: gman19

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
MSRP was about $22,500. They quoted me $20,444 plus an additional $750 off for being a USAA member. I was ready to sign until they said that I have to buy that rust protection package.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
What a nightmare. Without typing it all I will just post what I sent to their General Manager at the dealership.

"I wanted to tell you about my experience these past few days at Jeff Schmitt Chevy Fairborn. I have never bought a new vehicle and always tried to steer clear of car dealers due to concern of high pressure sales people. I was finally ready to make my first purchase and figured I would support my local dealership as I grew up in Fairborn. Also, I always found your commercials incredibly funny and due to them assumed Jeff Schmitt Chevy would be a place I would not be pressured. Unfortunately, that turned out to be anything but the truth.

I first looked through your website and found the exact car I wanted which was a 2012 Chevy Cruze with Allstar package, RS package, and driver convenience package in blue granite exterior with jet black cloth interior. It was listed online for $20,444 with an MSRP of $22,595. On Friday before work I went to the Fairborn dealership and asked if they could get the car from Jeff Schmitt South for me. They told me no problem at all. Everything sounded good and Brian took me for a test drive in the same car, but black granite in color. During the drive he started to mention the dealer add-ons such as etched glass and the pro-pack rust protection. I advised I could see myself being interested in something like that on a higher end vehicle, but not on an economy car.

I had to leave for work, but told them I could be back Saturday at 3:30pm to purchase the vehicle. Before I left Brian advised he would have the car ready when I got there along with a final price. I advised I had a blank check from Capital One and also had WPCU running an application for me. He kept pushing for me to let your finance department run my score, but I advised I was happy with my current finance situation. He advised Jeff Schmitt cannot accept my financing if I go through WPCU by myself and he would have to run it again through them. I told a girl at WPCU about this and she advised this is the second time recently this has happened and was appalled to hear it as Jeff Schmitt is supposed to be working with and not against them. After much pressure I agreed to fill out an Ally application under the premise no hard inquiries would be on my report and it was only for your finance department to check my score to see if they could get me a better rate.

Before I left Brian mentioned the rust protection and glass etch again. I advised I was not interested and he advised if I am buying a car from Jeff Schmitt I have no choice but to take it. On my way out the new car sales manager advised me, "We will have your paperwork ready tomorrow and have the car here shined to showroom quality." I also advised him of my issue with the dealer add-ons and he advised we would discuss it the next day. I was a little frustrated about being forced into buying rust protection so called Langs when I left. I was advised they will match your internet price of $20,444 along with my USAA discount and not try to force me to take any dealer add-ons.

Saturday morning Brian left me a message confirming our appointment. At this point I was ready to buy from Langs, but I am a man of my word and went to the appointment since I had already told him the day before I would be there. I figured I would at least see what price they came up with. When I arrived Brian greeted me and advised the car was not there. He also went on to say it was late as another family was test driving it in Miamisburg and I need to buy it before they beat me to it as they wanted to purchase Monday. I was a little frustrated as that seemed like typical sales tactics and also wondered why when I already stated I was ready to purchase the car and they promised it would be there were they letting people test drive it in Miamisburg.

Brian had me take a seat while he got the paperwork together. I waited for almost a half hour and again wondered why this was not ready as was stated by him and the sales manager the day before. When he started walking back towards the desk he brought a blank sales sheet and started writing the MSRP along with other numbers down. Again I wondered what he was doing for the last half hour I was waiting. For the next half hour he kept talking about MSRP and I stated more than once I was only interested in the final price. He wrote the propack/glass etch down on the sheet. I advised I simply wanted the price quoted on the internet minus the USAA discount and was ready to pay. I also advised there was no mention of propack/glass etch online. He talked down to me and said it was. I advised the fine print does state it does not include dealer add ons, tax, etc..., but nowhere does it state that these dealer add-ons had already been installed and I could not get the online price unless I take them. I asked nicely more than once if he could just give me the final price so we could finish this deal as I have a blank check. He went onto say, "If that check is not at least $24k we might as well be done talking." As you can imagine I was fairly turned off at this point and ready to go. I advised to please get me the final price of the car after discounts.

Finally, he went to the desk where the sales manager was and spent another 20 minutes running numbers. He came back with a number much more inflated than your internet price stated. I told him I would be on my way as Langs had offered me much better. He stated when I got there they wouldn't honor their word, but I thought to myself the only people not honoring their word are right here. He asked me to wait while he went and got the sales manager. The manager came over and probed me for much time. He stated there was no way around the rust protection, but he could make up for it by saving me several thousand on financing with a 2% lower interest rate. I agreed to let him at least give it a shot as long as he didn't apply to more than two lenders as I didn't want that many inquiries on my report. While they were running the applications finally the car showed up and I went out to look at it. It was extremely dirty on the exterior with dirty floors and a stain in the center of the backseat floor.

A few minutes later Brian advised that the finance manager had "great news" and would like to meet with me. I went back in the office and he advised he would "spot" me the car until monday as the finance companies all were closed. I thought to myself why is he spotting me the car when I have a check here to pay for it. He started going over the paperwork and wanted me to sign the itemized price list, but advised it wasn't a final copy. I thought to myself if it isn't a final copy why is he asking me to sign it. He kept pushing the point that he could get me 4.9%-6% interest rates. I asked what my monthly payment would be and he advised ~$395 a month for 72 months. I advised at 7.69% with Capital One and the same loan amount my payment was quoted as $396 a month over 72 months and something was not adding up. He went on to say that the sales manager had added gap insurance and another charge to the financing they applied for. I was never ever advised by him he would do this nor did I agree to it. I asked how I am saving anymore money over Capital One if the net payment ends up being the same. In the end I declined being "spotted" the car and left. I advised I was no longer comfortable shopping at Jeff Schmitt, but he can feel free to call me monday with the rates. The way I look at it is if someone doesn't stand by their word or hides facts from me once they will do it again. Who knows what else I didn't catch.

Along with most people in the area when I think of Jeff Schmitt I think of that funny guy I see in the commercials. I just thought I would let you know the actions that are taking place and the representation of Jeff Schmitt when you aren't there. It is a crazy world when someone posts a price and I bring a blank check to pay for the posted price only to find out it won't be honored nor do they prefer or want to accept the guaranteed payment I am ready to give them. It should have been a 10 minute process in an ideal world. They give me the price. I write the check and sign some papers. They hand me the keys. I drive away in the car. Instead it turned into an incredibly stressful two and a half hour spectacle.

If you would like to sell me the car on Monday for the quoted price of $20,444 minus $750 USAA discount plus tax/title and accept my Capital One check as payment I would still do business. Although, at this point you are the only one I will deal with."

·
Registered
904 Posts
Being a USAA member I'm surprised that you are not financing through USAA.

That dealership is doing everything they can to sell you a car with over priced "value added" dealer options. My suggestion: Contact USAA and order a car from the factory through them. The price gets locked in and you can pick it up at a local dealership. At least explore that option. And if you wish, I could give you the name of the dealership I bought my car from in Columbus. Had absolutely none of that pressure, although I did sit through a pitch for some options while the car was being cleaned up. But there wasn't any of that "no choice, buy from us you have to take these extras."

·
Premium Member
25,596 Posts
First, let USAA know about this dealership. If this dealership is in the USAA Car Buying network they will deal with them. Second - go to another dealership - this one doesn't want to take your check. They are getting some sort of kickback from their finance company. Third, tomorrow morning before doing anything else Call USAA FSB and get a preapproved car loan. I don't know what your Capital One rate is but I would be very surprised if USAA couldn't give you a better rate. You'll definitely get better service from USAA. I would also at least price the car at USAA.com and have that with you at the dealership. Finally, I think there is a 7 yr/70,000 mile rust through warranty on all new GM vehicles. I may be wrong on this protection, so double check before you go back to any dealership.

Also, be aware that whenever a dealership "buys" a car from another dealership you will almost never get the other dealership's advertised price.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts