Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum, but not new to forums. I'm a pretty active member on a dart forum as well. Long story short, I've been playing with my Dart and now my wife has decided that she wants me to upgrade her Cruze (2014 LS 1.8L NA) as well. So far she just wants footwell lighting (easy), cruise control (wtf car doesn't have cruise control standard), and to upgrade her bluetooth so that it can play music from her Galaxy S8 (read a post about a guy that replaced his bluetooth module with a Camaro's and it worked perfectly). I'm looking into major HP gains for her. Any and all help is appreciated and I will bestow any knowledge I have to the group as well.
My back story? Retired from the Army last month. I manage a subway sandwich shop. Been playing with cars since I was a kid with my pops. Pops was a diesel mech (amphibious assault vehicle, for anyone who wants to know) in the USMC. Wife's an absolute peach. She's a nurse. We have 2 dogs. Not really sure where else to take this thread. Hit me up if you want.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Welcome. GM has a Cruise control for the LS. It will likely require a new steering wheel and clock spring. Your local dealership will be best place for this. Plan on $400-500 for this. For the Bluetooth does you wife's car have the steering wheel controls and base radio. If so then you can install the Bluetooth version of the PDIM. If not you probably don't have a PDIM. Follow the Bluetooth AUX link in my signature below to find the PDIM, if you have one. For power - take a look at Bad News Racing. They're a vendor here.

·
Registered
689 Posts
New to this forum, but not new to forums. I'm a pretty active member on a dart forum as well. Long story short, I've been playing with my Dart and now my wife has decided that she wants me to upgrade her Cruze (2014 LS 1.8L NA) as well. So far she just wants footwell lighting (easy), cruise control (wtf car doesn't have cruise control standard), and to upgrade her bluetooth so that it can play music from her Galaxy S8 (read a post about a guy that replaced his bluetooth module with a Camaro's and it worked perfectly). I'm looking into major HP gains for her. Any and all help is appreciated and I will bestow any knowledge I have to the group as well.
My back story? Retired from the Army last month. I manage a subway sandwich shop. Been playing with cars since I was a kid with my pops. Pops was a diesel mech (amphibious assault vehicle, for anyone who wants to know) in the USMC. Wife's an absolute peach. She's a nurse. We have 2 dogs. Not really sure where else to take this thread. Hit me up if you want.
Seriously, if she wants major HP gains sell the Cruze and go buy a Camaro.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, I want the HP gains. She should care less lol. It's becoming more and more apparent that it isn't going to happen. So far all I've been able to find (performance wise) was a tuner, CAI, and exhaust. And I mean, I guess if i was trying to squeeze in a little more I could go with ground effects, but holy ****, this car is built boring and apparently supposed to stay boring. Would be interested in finding out if it's possible to change out the super awkward radio group for a touch screen.

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Possible trade?

Check out Cruze Diesel, Gen 1 or the new Gen 2 might bring the extra mojo u seek while solving the cruise control and Bluetooth issues too.

Reactions: OkiDoke

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
12,124 Posts
Well, I want the HP gains. She should care less lol. It's becoming more and more apparent that it isn't going to happen. So far all I've been able to find (performance wise) was a tuner, CAI, and exhaust.
Of the three items listed, the Tune is the only thing that is going to increase HP.

And I mean, I guess if i was trying to squeeze in a little more I could go with ground effects, but holy ****, this car is built boring and apparently supposed to stay boring.
With the money you saved above, buy the ground effects

Would be interested in finding out if it's possible to change out the super awkward radio group for a touch screen.

Updated Quick and Dirty Mylink Upgrade DIY for Gen 1 Cruzes

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Of the three items listed, the Tune is the only thing that is going to increase HP.

With the money you saved above, buy the ground effects

Updated Quick and Dirty Mylink Upgrade DIY for Gen 1 Cruzes
Tune - Max 20 HP gain
CAI - Generally 7 - 10 HP Gain
Exhaust - Generally 10 - 15 HP Gain

I found a ground effects package I liked on carID.

And thank you for the link to upgrade the My link :)

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Possible trade?

Check out Cruze Diesel, Gen 1 or the new Gen 2 might bring the extra mojo u seek while solving the cruise control and Bluetooth issues too.
I talked to her about it, but she wants to keep her car haha. It's okay, there's always ways to add things.

·
Administrator
12,124 Posts
Tune - Max 20 HP gain
CAI - Generally 7 - 10 HP Gain
Exhaust - Generally 10 - 15 HP Gain

I found a ground effects package I liked on carID.

And thank you for the link to upgrade the My link :)

Where are you getting your numbers from? Are there unbiased dyno runs to go with them? Don't forget about heat soaking between runs also.

I have yet to see real numbers, so I would be interested if you know where to find some.

and You're Welcome!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Welcome. GM has a Cruise control for the LS. It will likely require a new steering wheel and clock spring. Your local dealership will be best place for this. Plan on $400-500 for this. For the Bluetooth does you wife's car have the steering wheel controls and base radio. If so then you can install the Bluetooth version of the PDIM. If not you probably don't have a PDIM. Follow the Bluetooth AUX link in my signature below to find the PDIM, if you have one. For power - take a look at Bad News Racing. They're a vendor here.
I've checked out the cruise control addition, luckily I want need to replace the clock spring. Just have to add the steering wheel buttons and plug and play the cruise control module and mechanical bits.
Her car does have the steering wheel controls for the radio as well as the base model radio. Sounds like I'll just have to swap the PDIM. Do you know if it will read the metadata as well? Or is that something I'd have to do aftermarket and proxy align myself?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Where are you getting your numbers from? Are there unbiased dyno runs to go with them? Don't forget about heat soaking between runs also.

I have yet to see real numbers, so I would be interested if you know where to find some.

and You're Welcome!
I don't have a Dyno for any of these, but for the tune, Trifecta states that the max potential gained is 20 HP. BRM didn't have a HP statement for theirs. The CAI and exhaust numbers are general stats from being in the performance game for a while. A short ram will generally give you 3 - 5 HP max, but is way more susceptible to heat soak than a good CAI that's multi wrapped. A good exhaust will contain smoother bends, better gaskets, and (when paired with a good aftermarket header) will be able to flow more efficiently. An exhaust alone can potentially add ~10 HP. When paired with a good header, you can expect ~ 7 HP more. If you're looking for more HP gains, look into getting a lightweight crank pulley. For most vehicles, every pound you remove from the crank's rotational mass will give you between 2 and 5 HP (big gap because the specific engine is a huge factor). I'll see if I can find some dynos or at least someone who has done some data logging surrounding these parts. If anything, I'll data log my Dart for y'all to give you a picture of what happens. I know the motors are apples to oranges, but CAI, exhaust, and tune are pretty universal HP gains.

·
Administrator
12,124 Posts
I don't have a Dyno for any of these, but for the tune, Trifecta states that the max potential gained is 20 HP. BRM didn't have a HP statement for theirs. The CAI and exhaust numbers are general stats from being in the performance game for a while. A short ram will generally give you 3 - 5 HP max, but is way more susceptible to heat soak than a good CAI that's multi wrapped. A good exhaust will contain smoother bends, better gaskets, and (when paired with a good aftermarket header) will be able to flow more efficiently. An exhaust alone can potentially add ~10 HP. When paired with a good header, you can expect ~ 7 HP more. If you're looking for more HP gains, look into getting a lightweight crank pulley. For most vehicles, every pound you remove from the crank's rotational mass will give you between 2 and 5 HP (big gap because the specific engine is a huge factor). I'll see if I can find some dynos or at least someone who has done some data logging surrounding these parts. If anything, I'll data log my Dart for y'all to give you a picture of what happens. I know the motors are apples to oranges, but CAI, exhaust, and tune are pretty universal HP gains.

With any turbo'd engine, you need to free up the turbo exit to do any good to the HP numbers. The cat back just changes the exhaust notes.

Most of the CAI manufacturers use the heat soaking trick to make the dyno numbers fall in their favor.

I will try later to find some links for you to read and then see if you change your mind.

EDIT:

This is not the thread I was thinking of, but it has a link to one of the vids I was going to suggest as well as some other tidbits. I'll keep looking.

The myth of the cold air intake

EDIT 2:

I might have been a little lazy and used CAI as a generic term, but it seems to me that most intake kits just suck up more hot air. To truly get cold air (assuming outside temps cooperate, you need to add a functional WS6 style hood to ram cold air into the intake. Then maybe I could see some HP gains. But for most kits, forget it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
With any turbo'd engine, you need to free up the turbo exit to do any good to the HP numbers. The cat back just changes the exhaust notes.

Most of the CAI manufacturers use the heat soaking trick to make the dyno numbers fall in their favor.

I will try later to find some links for you to read and then see if you change your mind.
None of my vehicle have a turbo...
My CAI is very well wrapped to prevent heat soak. My intake air usually only runs 10° warmer than ambient temp when I'm just cruising. When I'm at WOT, my ambient and intake are the same. This is after wrapping. Before wrapping, intake usually ran 60° hotter than ambient. At WOT I was seeing a 15° difference. My intake is double wrapped, giving it 3/4" shielding. Heat soak is not a factor on my dart.

·
Administrator
12,124 Posts
None of my vehicle have a turbo...
My CAI is very well wrapped to prevent heat soak. My intake air usually only runs 10° warmer than ambient temp when I'm just cruising. When I'm at WOT, my ambient and intake are the same. This is after wrapping. Before wrapping, intake usually ran 60° hotter than ambient. At WOT I was seeing a 15° difference. My intake is double wrapped, giving it 3/4" shielding. Heat soak is not a factor on my dart.

I just was thinking that and went back to the first post....duhh, ok lets start over...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just was thinking that and went back to the first post....duhh, ok lets start over...
Lol it's okay. Always up for picking each other's brains. ****, if I'm wrong, I'll gladly save the money on future builds and skip the unnecessary parts.

·
Administrator
12,124 Posts
Lol it's okay. Always up for picking each other's brains. ****, if I'm wrong, I'll gladly save the money on future builds and skip the unnecessary parts.

For some reason, I got booted off the internet - just now came back online so...

I would start with a tune from BNR. Jerry is heavy into making the sedate Cruze into something better - think Be All You Can Be. Go Army! - Beat Navy!

EDIT: This just posted - maybe have a conversation with him as he has a 1.8 as well.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts