Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there, I'm 35 years old and I'm mechanic (not professional) and car enthusiast since I am 16! I owned over 15 cars/trucks (8 news + 7 used), few imports but domestics mostly (GM/Chrysler). I currently own a 2010 Chevrolet Cobalt LS with the 2.2L Ecotec and I am pretty pleased with this car for 6 years ago (purchased new), no major issues with this car except for a dozen of GM's recalls on it! This is a running joke in my friends and family since the Cobalt is probably the most recalled car forever! I also own a 2014 Dodge Grand Cavaran and I love it so much, I have absolutely no complaint on this vehicle with the 3.6L engine.

I register here to find some technical information on my mom's 2013 Chevy Trax LT AWD. I know this is not a Cruze, but this is a VERY infamous vehicle that is sold in Canada until 2013 and in the US until 2015 only with some very poor sales numbers. But in fact this sub-compact-SUV is sharing +90% mechanical components with the 1st generation Cruze 1.4L, except for the body/interior parts and the AWD drivetrain (maybe a AWD Euro Cruze?). First of all, it comes with the same 1.4L Turbo Ecotec than the Cruze with the same 6 speeds automatic transmission.

I am here because my mom is owning the car for 3 years now (purchased new) and even if she love it very much (drivability, fuel economy, AWD, etc), she experienced SEVERAL issues/problems with it, but after talking with my GM dealership mechanist, I appear than all these issues are shared with the Cruze. She have several turbo/cooling/oil gasket leaks (white smoke, black smoke, etc). She also have issue where the automatic shifter knob have a stuck release button and then the car won't go to park. She also have the issue where all four doors hinge were EXTREMELY hard to close, even with heavy lubing. According to my dealer this is all Cruze issues as they sell much more Cruze than Trax.

The thing is her car now ran out of the full coverage warranty (only powertrain warranty left) and so I want to find some technical information about any upcoming/current issues and discuss with you about them since I repair all my vehicle myself, but I have no real experience with the 1.4L Turbo Ecotec, nor with the Trax, which is way different from my Cobalt with the 2.2L. As the Cobalt is also a VERY HOT seller, there's plenty of discussion and video on YouTube for the Cobalt. I saw one discussion forum about the Chevy Trax, but with less than 400 members, I have no hope for technical information there.

Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Sport utility vehicle

Thank you for having me in your family! :grin:

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
Welcome to the cruze talk Be cool stay cozy Keep Cruzen And best wishes !

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Welcome to CruzeTalk. Hopefully we can answer your questions.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks folks for the kind words! :wink:

I am glad to find a place to share mostly about some known issue of this vehicle. For example on my Cobalt I didn't have much issues (only 3 small issues over 6 years!), but all of them were "known issues" for the 2.2L and I found A LOT of DIY repair online and fix all of them in a minute, like a known issue about the VVT cam position sensor and similar.

Have a great day/night folks! :)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.