Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought a used 2011 Cruze LT 1.4 a few years ago and have had nothing but problems. The newest problem is it sounds like I'm flying an airplane. The further I drive it the louder it gets. Vibration in floor and pedals, check engine light on and a small oil leak from turbo area. Turbo was replaced in February of this year. Anyone have any ideas ? I really can't afford another repair.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Bought a used 2011 Cruze LT 1.4 a few years ago and have had nothing but problems.
The 2011 was the first model year for the Cruze in the US. It's had more than it's share of problems getting settled in.

The newest problem is it sounds like I'm flying an airplane. The further I drive it the louder it gets. Vibration in floor and pedals,
What kind of vibration? Which direction is it going? The mental picture I'm getting suggests a problem with the tires causing the car to "wobble". You could check your tires. Pat the tread all around the tire. Once you're sure there's no steel belt sticking out, you can run you hand over the tread to make sure it's smooth. If you find a lump, that's likely your problem. If nothing is found, move the car enough to rotate the tires 180 degrees and repeat.

check engine light
Some auto parts places will pull the codes for you for free. We'd need the codes to know what's going on.

on and a small oil leak from turbo area.
There's a number of possibilities. The oil feed tube might leak where it's connected. Or it might be something else. I don't think it's your big problem at the moment. Just make sure the oil level is kept up and you do your oil changes.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. The tires have been checked and are fine. When I leave the house in the morning(40 mile drive to school) the sound is barely noticeable, but gets louder the closer we get to school. It is louder and more noticeable now in the mornings and vibration is stronger the louder it gets. About 25 miles in it starts sounding like an airplane.

·
Premium Member
5,535 Posts
Noise/vibration description is that of one or more wheel bearing hubs failing.

Since it has a new turbo, and it is leaking, you should get back to the dealer to get that resolved as well as the noise diagnosed......they can get you cause for the check engine light at the same time.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
Yes, a new turbo leaking should go back to whoever replaced it (unless you don't trust them and are willing to pay someone else).

I'm guessing the Power Train warranty might be up? That would cover the turbo, but I don't know as it would cover the wheel bearings.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wouldn't the wheel bearings get hot if they were bad? We checked to see if the wheels were getting hot but everything was cool to touch after 40 plus mile trip.

·
Premium Member
1,943 Posts
Do you have over 100,000 miles on it? If not, you should have not had to pay to have the turbo replaced and shouldn't have to pay to take it back and have the turbo leak fixed. The vibration could be a different story.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Thank you. The tires have been checked and are fine. When I leave the house in the morning(40 mile drive to school) the sound is barely noticeable, but gets louder the closer we get to school. It is louder and more noticeable now in the mornings and vibration is stronger the louder it gets. About 25 miles in it starts sounding like an airplane.
Does the noise change when you swerve right or left? IF so, I would expect the hub bearings are bad. I've had a lot of GM's where the bearings start growling around 100K miles. A lot of times, there was no other symptom (they were tight). Replace both fronts.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
My Pontiac Transport had front bearings go out and there was no sound change when steering. You're description sounds like wheel bearings.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
I'm inclined to agree with the wheel bearing source, but I'd like to throw out one other possible culprit. With 104K on the clock, when was the last brake pad service done? The noise may be a disk pad dragging due to the caliper slides being dirty/corroded. Might not show up until the brake assembly gets hot from use. Just a suggestion for something else to look at. Had one on our Mazda P5 that you could hear over the radio when it got started. If it's the slides and the pads are not worn badly, the fix should be inexpensive.

·
Administrator
25,596 Posts
Just had New brake pads put on and rotors turned. Hubby still insists its not bearings. Lol
Take it to your favorite mechanic/service department and demonstrate the problem. Let them figure it out.

·
Premium Member
3,975 Posts
Just had New brake pads put on and rotors turned. Hubby still insists its not bearings. Lol
Who did the brake job? Did they lubricate the caliper slides? Did the noise start after the brakes were serviced? Does the Cruze have separate pad return springs to pull the pads back from the rotor? On our Mazsda, they look like wishbones and engage the pad at the end of the pad on each end. I once had one that was installed incorrectly and it allowed the pad on one side to drag on the rotor causing a squealing noise sometimes.

·
Resident Forum Drunkard
9,273 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.