Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My name is Eric and I recently purchased a used 2012 Chevy Cruze LTZ RS about almost 2 years ago And I’ve loved it ever since! It’s been running smooth and perfect for those two years up until now.... ? Not really sure where I could post this to get help or any feedback so I decided to come to the Cruze Talk Forums.
My check engine light came on (can’t remember the codes off of the top of my head) something about system too lean bank 1 or something of the sort. I replaced the O2 sensor and a spark-plug that was bad and it seemed to have fixed the problem until the check engine light came on and the same code appeared again.
Apart from that issue I just started having another where my car would not start. At first I thought it was the battery, however I got it checked about 5 times and it’s good as well as the Starter and Algernator. I did some research and thought maybe my key had a dead battery so I replaced the battery as well. I did more research and I then replaced the negative battery cable and positive battery cable (Positive one was very badly corroded) this seemed to have fixed the problem for only one day and once again my car wouldn’t start.
My car just randomly is able to start sometimes and at other it won’t. I try jumpstarting but that won’t even work at times either. I sometimes get a message on the dashboard when the car doesn’t start that the “key cannot be detected” and to “service stabilitrak”, “service theft deterrent system”, “service power steering”, and “service traction control”.
I can’t take it to the dealer until Wednesday because of the holidays. Sorry for the really long post but I’d appreciate any help or advice/input/ideas. Thanks and Merry Christmas!

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
Welcome, sorry to hear about problems with your otherwise reliable Gen 1 Cruze.

It would be helpful to have the codes, any chance you can take it to an auto parts store and have them plug in an OBDII device to read the codes, then post here?

Also what’s the odometer reading?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Hi Eric, Welcome. Sorry to hear you are having troubles.

When it doesn't start, is the motor cranking over, or not? Is that starter making that clicking noise like the power is low or nothing at all when it doesn't work?
I am guessing since you say you checked your starter that you have already checked the cable to the starter?
I would start by checking all main power cables (positive and negative) from the battery to the engine. Make sure connections are tight and there is no sign of corrosion.

Also, it is best to replace all the spark plugs as a set not just one at a time.

Reactions: Eric4707

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome, sorry to hear about problems with your otherwise reliable Gen 1 Cruze.

It would be helpful to have the codes, any chance you can take it to an auto parts store and have them plug in an OBDII device to read the codes, then post here?

Also what’s the odometer reading?
The error code read is P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1) and the odometer reading is 82,227 miles.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
The error code read is P0171 - System Too Lean (Bank 1) and the odometer reading is 82,227 miles.
I would look into your electrical issues first as this could very well be the source of all your troubles.

Lean conditions, if they are occurring can be caused by a few things. Vacuum leaks are the most common. Fuel system problems (i.e. not enough fuel pressure, clogged or non functioning injectors, bad fuel pump, etc.) Bad O2 sensor. Since your O2 sensor is new that can likely be ruled out as an issue.

Reactions: Rivergoer

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would look into your electrical issues first as this could very well be the source of all your troubles.

Lean conditions, if they are occurring can be caused by a few things. Vacuum leaks are the most common. Fuel system problems (i.e. not enough fuel pressure, clogged or non functioning injectors, bad fuel pump, etc.) Bad O2 sensor. Since your O2 sensor is new that can likely be ruled out as an issue.
Ah yes thanks, will do. I appreciate the help! My car seems to have weird electrical issues where the theft deterrent system won’t let the car start.

·
Super Moderator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red
11,936 Posts
Welcome Aboard!:welcome:

[h=1]Special Coverage #14311: Negative Battery Cable[/h]
A code P0171 may mean that one or more of the following has happened: The MAF (Mass Air Flow) Sensor is dirty or faulty Note: The use of "oiled" air filters may cause the MAF to become dirty if the filter is over-oiled. There is also an issue with some vehicles where the MAF sensors leak the silicone potting material used to protect the circuitry. There could be a vacuum leak downstream of the MAF sensor Possible cracked vacuum or PCV line/connection Faulty or stuck open PCV valve Failed or faulty oxygen sensor (bank 1, sensor 1) Sticking/plugged or failed fuel injector Low fuel pressure (possible plugged/dirty fuel filter!) Exhaust leak between engine and first oxygen sensor

Read more at: https://www.obd-codes.com/p0171

[h=1]2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues[/h]
:moved: from Introductions to Gen I Service Issues

·
Registered
2 Posts
check these:
1. Front and back camshaft cover seals.
2.o2 sensor
3: open your air filter and search for ripped gasket
4: check your membrane on valve cover if it’s leaking air into the engine
5: remove the pcv hose from too of intake manifold and ckeck the Orange nipple inside the tube.
6: check if the pcv hose is faulty
7: check bank 1 spark plug tightness
8: check purge valve behind the engine
9: check throtle body if is dirty and stack
After checking all above say shame on you chevrolet

1 - 8 of 8 Posts