Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Help! Anyone know what this part is? All of sudden I notice its sucking air thru the hole, causing idle to suffer/check engine light... Thanks cruze.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
ya . . thats your PVC . . . its part of a whole valve cover. it needs to be replaced every 50K miles. you will notice your car choking and the idle is low and sounds like your car is going to stall. the cost is $75

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
I am not exactly sure what it is for, but know what it is, its a plastic cap plugged into a plastic camshaft cover, and not a very robust plastic cap at all.

Mine developed a small crack in it causing a P0471 code. Its not part of the PCV at all, but sure can screw it up with a massive air leak.

Made a wild guess, the designers of the 1.4L weren't sure which would be the front of the engine, so made provisions for two oil caps, but since they didn't need this extra hole, put a cheap plastic cap on it. Since my Cruze was under the PT warranty, took it in to get a new plastic cap, could have slapped some epoxy over that hole. But instead they replaced the entire camshaft cover with all new bolts. Just because of a cheap plastic cap that seems to serve no logical purpose! Except cause more problems.

But not the only part like this, was curious as to what would happen to my manual transmission if a one buck synchro would go bad, already had to replaced these before. Looks like with the Cruze, would have to replace the entire transmission for 1,800 bucks if one little part went wrong.

Never use to be this way, but sure is now. Can generally find a new camshaft cover kit on ebay for around 40 bucks, takes about a half an hour to replace it. Wonder if duct tape would work, that vacuum underneath it should hole it in place.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I am not exactly sure what it is for, but know what it is, its a plastic cap plugged into a plastic camshaft cover, and not a very robust plastic cap at all.

Mine developed a small crack in it causing a P0471 code. Its not part of the PCV at all, but sure can screw it up with a massive air leak.
Since my Cruze was under the PT warranty, took it in to get a new plastic cap, could have slapped some epoxy over that hole. But instead they replaced the entire camshaft cover with all new bolts. Just because of a cheap plastic cap that seems to serve no logical purpose! Except cause more problems.

But not the only part like this, was curious as to what would happen to my manual transmission if a one buck synchro would go bad, already had to replaced these before. Looks like with the Cruze, would have to replace the entire transmission for 1,800 bucks if one little part went wrong.
There's a valve and diaphragm under that "cheap plastic cap". I believe its there for the transition from crankcase vacuum to crankcase pressure under boost. I'd guess that the valve won't seal properly under vacuum if you plug its vent. If you really want to do the Cruze community a favor, redesign the overly complicated and unreliable PCV system on the 1.4!

·
Banned
10,296 Posts
There's a valve and diaphragm under that "cheap plastic cap". I believe its there for the transition from crankcase vacuum to crankcase pressure under boost. I'd guess that the valve won't seal properly under vacuum if you plug its vent. If you really want to do the Cruze community a favor, redesign the overly complicated and unreliable PCV system on the 1.4!
Admittingly, didn't take a close look at it, just saw the crack on top of it, so some kind of check valve under that cap?

Even with turbo boost, only way the crankcase, camshaft cover, same open space can get positive pressure in there, is blow by at the piston rings. Venturi at the inlet to the turbo is the vacuum source. First vehicle ever where crankcase vacuum is monitored. Should show around 19"/Hg at idle, can be measured at the top of the dipstick pipe with proper adapters.

Must be some kind of EPA thing.

Was around 1961, didn't write this down, the PCV first came into existence, before a breather pipe was used that would suck up dust like crazy into the engine. PCV was kind of welcomed, but putting all that crap back into the combustion chamber, also fouls up the fuel injectors, wasn't much of a problem with carburetors, fed back to the base of these.

Should put this crap in a can and send it to the EPA. My TB vane was taking it time returning to idle, found crap on the vane, had to clean that off, will have to do this again and again.

Typical with the EPA solve one problem, create ten more.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Every engine I've ever dealt with has some blow by, and that the reason PCV systems are still in use. The engines that run high cylinder pressures have more blow by (read high compression ratio, boosted (1.4)). I've never really seen injectors fouled by PCV sludge, but I've seen early direct injection engines were the intake port was plugged to the size of a thumb. The only way to clean it is to pull the intake and scape or walnut shell blast it out. Newer hybrid direct injection engines run some fuel into the intake to clean the port and valves.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I lol'd soon as I saw the picture. Mine went out at 45k miles and got it replaced under warranty. Just the other day my check engine comes on(sounds like pcv cover again under the hood), replaced the gas cap.. Light goes away, comes back 2 days later. Did this one more time, as I'm on the highway this morning light comes on again. I need to fill the tank so the light will probably go off(?) and then come back on in a couple days so I've got an appointment Thursday to check the pcv cover again. Hoping it is that seeing as how I'm at 98k miles! Fingers crossed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts