Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey everybody, I just bought a 2013 Chevy Cruze lt a day ago and it apparently has an aftermarket gps in a foreign language. It's got a bunch of Chinese writing that I can't read and I can't use anything on it. When I test drove it I figured it was just in another language because I've never seen the Chevy MyLink system before. I never thought in a hundred years that it would be a foreign aftermarket gps. The owner isn't any help because they don't even know if it's hardware or software that's been installed.
There's a mini as in the right side of the screen and a female end usb cord on the glove box. All the settings say the language is English and I've tried factory reset like 5 times. I even unplugged the battery for 5 minutes hoping it would reboot back to normal.
I'd like to get it back to normal or change the language somehow.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
What country are you in? That screen looks nothing like a US model.

Since you have a Android phone, you might use Google translate to translate the labels. I was able to do it using my phone and your screen shots. The icon with the gear is "settings".

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What country are you in? That screen looks nothing like a US model.

Since you have a Android phone, you might use Google translate to translate the labels. I was able to do it using my phone and your screen shots. The icon with the gear is "settings".
Thanks for the tip. Didnt even think about using translate.
I'm in the USA and the carfax says the car originated in Los Angeles

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Ask them to take it back nicely, maybe threaten a lawsuit on fraud or negligent misrepresentation. They will probably just take it back.

My advice in life is if you can get rid of a problem then get rid of it. Not your problem anymore.

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Thanks for the tip. Didnt even think about using translate.
I'm in the USA and the carfax says the car originated in Los Angeles

Also I need to know what state you made the purchase in.

And exactly when you purchased it.

Hop to it too. You may only have a few hours.

·
Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
12,403 Posts
There are many aftermarket sellers based in LA. My guess is a previous owner installed a different head unit and did it incorrectly or there were no English options for the GPS. Use the VIN (inside lower drivers door opening) and decode it online. It will tell what the original unit was from the factory. As a long shot, look for any markings and/or info in the paperwork as to who made the unit. There are a number for sale from China and via Ali-Express or DH Gate you might find a vendor willing to sell you a copy of the CD with the correct software for it.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
Ask them to take it back nicely, maybe threaten a lawsuit on fraud or negligent misrepresentation. They will probably just take it back.

My advice in life is if you can get rid of a problem then get rid of it. Not your problem anymore.
Its a 2013. Why would the seller take it back, where is there fraud or better yet negligent misrepresentation? Not all Cruze units have MyLink? Buyer Beware, AS IS.

You may only have a few hours.
What happens in a few hours?

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
Its a 2013. Why would the seller take it back, where is there fraud or better yet negligent misrepresentation? Not all Cruze units have MyLink? Buyer Beware, AS IS.

What happens in a few hours?
As is means nothing.

If I sell you a green apple but tell you its red, that's illegal. Even if I throw an "As is" clause in there. It has just as much weight as "Not responsible for broken windshields".

Even without going toward misrepresentation, we have commercial codes which cover undiscovered ruins likes these. Your "as is" clause doesn't do anything against those.

As for what happens in a few hours, many states require you to have an easy out. California does not for a used car (actually I don't think any state does but who knows. If any place did have it, it would have been California).

Which means the next step is to always ask them to take it back. Sometimes you'd be surprised.

·
Premium Member
8,003 Posts
that looks a lot like aftermarket navigation units sold online.
Yeah, there was one we looked at a while back that replaced the display. That allowed you to have your normal radio, and also activate the "extra features".

Since it was bought in LA, I'm now positive it is a after-market add-on.

·
Premium Member
5,638 Posts
As is means nothing.

If I sell you a green apple but tell you its red, that's illegal. Even if I throw an "As is" clause in there. It has just as much weight as "Not responsible for broken windshields".

Even without going toward misrepresentation, we have commercial codes which cover undiscovered ruins likes these. Your "as is" clause doesn't do anything against those.

As for what happens in a few hours, many states require you to have an easy out. California does not for a used car (actually I don't think any state does but who knows. If any place did have it, it would have been California).

Which means the next step is to always ask them to take it back. Sometimes you'd be surprised.
There is no cooling off period when buying a Car unless it can't be registered or fraud or misrepresentation occurred. ALL used car sales are sold AS IS unless a specific warranty is given. Very strange you feel an aftermarket radio could negate the transaction because of Chinese writing. Did the seller represent the CRUZE Radio as anything else that you are aware of? You would have made a terrible Lawyer:dizzy:

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
There is no cooling off period when buying a Car unless it can't be registered. ALL used car sales are AS IS unless a specific warranty is given. Very strange you feel an aftermarket radio could negate the transaction because of Chinese writing. Did the seller represent the CRUZE Radio as anything else that you are aware of? You would have made a terrible Lawyer:dizzy:
Some states have the cooling off period mandatory instead of optional for new cars. Not sure about used. Was worth investigating at least. Georgia comes to mind.

As for the rest. The only way I am wrong is if the state changes the UCC, or makes an exemption for car purchases. In California, I have no clue if they do. I'm not saying anyone should take any of this to a court room on their own, but it's something people would be willing to settle on rather than just letting the salesmen run away with the money.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah, there was one we looked at a while back that replaced the display. That allowed you to have your normal radio, and also activate the "extra features".

Since it was bought in LA, I'm now positive it is a after-market add-on.
If it's an aftermarket add on then am I going to have to buy another one in English? Or maybe there is something I can download into the pre-existing hardware?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hey everybody, I just bought a 2013 Chevy Cruze lt a day ago and it apparently has an aftermarket gps in a foreign language. It's got a bunch of Chinese writing that I can't read and I can't use anything on it. When I test drove it I figured it was just in another language because I've never seen the Chevy MyLink system before. I never thought in a hundred years that it would be a foreign aftermarket gps. The owner isn't any help because they don't even know if it's hardware or software that's been installed.
There's a mini as in the right side of the screen and a female end usb cord on the glove box. All the settings say the language is English and I've tried factory reset like 5 times. I even unplugged the battery for 5 minutes hoping it would reboot back to normal.
I'd like to get it back to normal or change the language somehow.

That is an aftermarket stereo you have there. There are different kinds on eBay that run android. Most likely your stereo is running android. Like someone mentioned above use google translate on your phone. The mylink touch screen is different than the one you have. There is no mic or sd car slot options on it. I’m pretty sure you’ll be able to put everything in English.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,216 Posts
If it's an aftermarket add on then am I going to have to buy another one in English? Or maybe there is something I can download into the pre-existing hardware?

Well legal arguments aside.

You most likely had this radio https://i.ytimg.com/vi/FM8nYrVCjxU/maxresdefault.jpg

Which is the lower end model. Not the MyLink.

The one you have now is an aftermarket oem lookalike someone put in. Likely from a China, a direct to ebay sell. I can tell because it has the chevy logo and no sane US company would do that.

The company likely exists today, just rebranded. Which is typical of Chinese companies. Even if you did get ahold of them expect limited support at best.

Which means the short answer is no one can really help you. You could replace it all with the oem system, but that is... A lot of money. Hence why I pushed so hard for the 'just give it back if you can'. These china systems are very finicky.

Also definitely not Android.

·
Premium Member
2,698 Posts
I'd think there would be a setting to change it to English. You're not able to find one under "settings"?
According to Google, this is the character for SETTINGS:

Multimedia Electronics Technology Electronic device Screen

This is the character for ENGLISH:

Text Font Line Graphics Black-and-white

After you press the blue SETTINGS button, see what comes up. You may have to use trial and error to locate the above ENGLISH character that hopefully will change language preference.

No promises...

·
Premium Member
1,226 Posts
It's possible that the previous owner spoke Chinese. If you saw the system in Chinese then there was no misrepresentation. You could ask the seller if they can help you switch it to English. You could also find a Chinese-speaking person and ask them to help. Shouldn't be hard to get help in LA.

If you can't switch it to English, you can either buy a new aftermarket radio, or switch it back to the OEM radio. You can usually find the OEM radios cheap on ebay. You would need to make sure the original connectors were not cut off, and you would need to reprogram the OEM radio with your VIN number. That requires a bit of electronic and computer knowledge. There are posts on this forum that explain how to do it. There are also companies that can do it for you, but it's not cheap. Having a dealer install a new OEM radio would be very expensive.

Your best hope is that there is an English option.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts