Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the new car bug bad. :banghead:

This site is full of information and I been looking through many of the threads. But, thought it would be helpful to post my situation and hope that people could chime in with there thoughts, comments or insights.

Currently, I have a very clean 2004 Honda Civic HX. It has been a great car and consistently gets me around 38 MPG during the winter and 40-42 during the summer in the Seattle area.

If I am going to make purchase now it will either be the Cruze Eco or Elantra GLS with a manual transmission. However, I still have a few questions about Chevy and the Cruze:
- I have owned Hondas for over 20 years and this is the first time that I am considering a Chevrolet since the 80’s. GM is sort of renewed, but I have to admit I am a bit concerned the old dealership network has remained. Anyone have any insight on this one?
-Can I or should I expect the Cruze quality to be on par with my Honda?
-Is it reasonable to expect the same level of service as I received from Honda?
-Based on some of the comments on a few of the threads it seems there is an expectation that the car value will not hold. Is this strictly based on Chevrolet past or are there other factors?
- Are there any fuel mileage improvements for the manual transmission models in 2012?
-Is there anything special that has to be done during the motor break-in period since the motor has a turbo?
-According to the 2012 order guide for the Cruze the NAV may be an available option. Any idea on the cost? Also does anyone know if the price is going up again for the Cruze with model year 2012?
-One dealer has ordered the color and options that I want (exterior: black and interior: Black/sport red) and according to the order number they provided it is has a current status of 4B00 “Your car is bayed and is waiting for transportation by truck, rail or transfer to vendor”. However, it seems like it may be a bad time to buy a car right now with the shortage of smaller cars due to the gas prices. Is there any advantage or reason(s) that I should purchase one now rather than wait for the 2012s and potentially rebates or discounts to reappear later this year?
-Anyone have any insight on the best way to negoiate a good deal for my car as a trade-in?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies and input!

Would like to say if Honda still was building cars styled and priced like they did eight years ago, I probably would not be out on this forum. :)

My wife rode in the back seat of the Cruze and did comment about the stiffness of the seats and said the Elantra wback seat was more comfortable. So I was wondering if anyone heard of any changes in that area for 2012?

IMO the Elantra is a better price when comparing it to the ECO. The Elantra makes you feel like you are getting more car for the money. Reminds me of the Honda Accord Lxi in the late 80s. However, I am equally impressed with the Cruze test drive and I agree that the quality seems vastly improved. I would say it feels like a better quality car compared to the Elantra. Too me it was more fun to drive the Cruze and I agree the MPG figures definitively seem better for the Cruze Eco on fuelly. However, there seem to not be many of the MT Elantra's on fuelly either.

Service is one of the most worrisome points for me. I am glad to hear there is some attention being paid to satifying the customer. Of course, I understand that this varies from dealer-to-dealer. But my overall experience with Honda has been very good and am hoping that Chevrolet now "gets it" and will work agressively to rebuild the trust in the brand.

Disregarding the service issue, I think it is going to come down to is the Cruze Eco worth paying the price difference (about $2500 more from my shopping) to have a sportier car.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ah, more great comments. Thank You! :)

Eric123 you make some great points and for your information lilpreachaman, the Honda Hx pictured above was assembled in East Liberty, Ohio with 65% of the parts made in Canada/US. I still have the window sticker that documents these facts. Up to this point it is the best American built car I ever owned. :)

The only reason that I am considering an Elantra is because they are now assembled in Montgomery, Alabama.

Last night a Hyundai dealership allowed me to bring home an Elantra over night. The problem was it was an automatic and it helped remind me why I dislike the automatic transmission so much. It was very comfortable and roomy. My wife said the back seats are much more comfortable. But the lack of a manual transmission made it not at all engaging or fun to drive. Vetterin make a good point that the lack of Nav in the Elantra due to not offering on a manual is disappointing.

Additionally, the points that Quazar makes on the fuel economy are import things that I am considering. I did approximately a 70 mile loop about 70% highway and found as long as I was on highway it was in the high 30s, but almost any hill or widing road eroded the fuel economy and the average was 34 MPG, which is below what I get on the Hx. I suspect that manual transmission would have fared better.

I believe the Cruze feels like a higher quality and refined car after driving the Elantra last night. Maybe because the Cruze weights more, the weight of the Elantra is only about 150 lbs. more than the Honda. The Cruze turbo is nice and it seems very responsive and it feels like the power is equal between the Elantra and Cruze.

But to be fair, I think that I will need to go do another test drive of Cruze Eco to ensure that I have a fresh comparsion. Oh the burden that is upon me. :)

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh, that is interesting review and thread. The difference for me the Cruze Eco MT will cost me $2500.00 more than the Elantra GLS MT as it stands right now. Anyone have any idea what it takes to obtain or qualify for the $1K loyalty bonus (I've not owned a Chevrolet since the 80's)?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Some verbage that I found on the web:

"In order to qualify for any of these savings you must have owned the qualifying vehicle for at least 6 months. The vehicle must currently be registered to someone from your immediate family that resides in your household. You do not have to trade your loyalty vehicle in. You can only use a GM Loyalty Program once for each qualifying GM vehicle"

My Mom owns a Pontiac, but she does not reside with me. Oh well...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Good point WhiteCo. I just seems like the market is such that there is not alot of negotiation in my part of the country (Seattle area). There are several dealership in my area slapping on Market Adjustment (gouging fees), which I refuse to pay.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
All good points. The problem is that I want a specific color scheme. Black exterior and Black/Sport red interior with the connectity package. They are rare up here and from what I seen very popular.

I found one that was coming into a dealership and tried to work out a deal with the dealer and they pricing me the wrong car they were not responsive (it was a mess). Then the day it was delivered at the lot, someone else came in and bought the car before it was ran through PDI (very frustrating). Through the chevrolet site I found another one like this one show up last week, but it is pre-sold. I found another in Portland in the production/delivery pipe and that is about it. Else I will have to drive further or wait for the 2012s.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Your right. The "good deals" seem to happen when the cars are on the dealers lot. I do see people claiming they got a good deal when ordering a vehicle.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
You got a great deal compared to me.

Currently, my best price for the Cruze Eco is $19400.00 and the Elantra is $16700.00($2700.00 spread). If the prices were a wash, I would go with the Cruze Eco.

I see my options as the following:
1. Settle for what exists in inventory on a dealer's lot
2. Look further out and away from Seattle to find one that I would want on a dealer's lot
3. Wait and hope the rebates resurface in a few months
4. Purchase the Elantra
5. Keep what I have now and see what the market looks like next year

Is there something that I've overlooked or not considered?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Over this last weekend, a dealership gave me a Cruze Eco loaner to take home over night.

Wow was that a fun car to drive. I just love the whole package of being able to have a manual transmission, great fuel economy and many of the nice options to boot. I love the pick up on the low end from the turbo and the manual was easy to operate. The wife wanted to go back out for several cruises, which I took as a good sign.

I reset the average miles per gallon on the DIC before I left the dealership. The wife and I put about 300 miles on the car and when I pulled back into their lot it read 41.4 MPG, which I thought was pretty darn good!

So, I believe that I just about settled on the Cruze Eco 6MT. :clap:

Now, I have to decide between a 2011 or 2012 Cruze.

I see the price went up about $400.00 for the 2012 Ecos. But, they offer the Nav for less than a 1k and an upgraded sound package. Hopefully, someone can post what the if they see the new Topaz blue. However choosing that color would not allow for the black/sport red interior. Of course with a blue exterior with a black/red interior may not be a great match, lol. :rolleyes:

I think waiting until the fall may be a good idea if I decide on the 2012 to allow the stock to build up and the pressure on the prices to go down.

Anyone have any recommendations between buying a 2011 now or waiting for a 2012?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.