Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've seen the cam cover PCV recall Campaign and letters written to posters here for 2014 and 2015 and earlier but does anyone have a letter for the 2016 intake because of the failing no return valve? Is it even covered by warranty? I can't believe they would just warranty the cam cover with the bad vacuum diaphram (some call it PCV) .without including the manifold with the missing no return valve that caused the problem. ANY info would help...I'm going to the dealer tomorrow. TY, KennyK

· Premium Member
132 Posts
Greetings, sorry I have no help with the info you seek, but I know you will find your way to this link eventually. It is easy to install the v3.4 with no intake disassembly necessary.
Terrific forum members here will help with all you need to solve gen 1 issues.
Say hi on the new member thread and best of luck.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
TY. 2012 eco, tomorrow's dicussion could be "for mature audiences only". I'm hoping the dealer will cover both the manifold and the cam cover. I definitely will not pay out of pocket for them to replace my manifold just to have it happen again. If I have to I WILL put on one of the fix kits and probably sell the car. It is 6 yrs old with 60K milage. What a shame I didn't wait another 6 or 9 months for a 2nd generation. TY< KennyK

· The Nuclear Option
5,780 Posts
TY. 2012 eco, tomorrow's dicussion could be "for mature audiences only". I'm hoping the dealer will cover both the manifold and the cam cover. I definitely will not pay out of pocket for them to replace my manifold just to have it happen again. If I have to I WILL put on one of the fix kits and probably sell the car. It is 6 yrs old with 60K milage. What a shame I didn't wait another 6 or 9 months for a 2nd generation. TY< KennyK
Welcome to the forum!

You might want to read this before getting to the "for mature audiences only" part.

Also, please don't turn this into a ranting/venting thread. They serve no real purpose here and will end up being closed and/or deleted.

Good luck at the dealer tomorrow. The 1st generation Cruze can be a good vehicle if you're willing to put in some time, money, and effort. I don't know what your level of mechanical inclination is, but doing your own work saves a lot of money.

· Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
14,013 Posts
I've seen the cam cover PCV recall Campaign and letters written to posters here for 2014 and 2015 and earlier but does anyone have a letter for the 2016 intake because of the failing no return valve? Is it even covered by warranty? I can't believe they would just warranty the cam cover with the bad vacuum diaphram (some call it PCV) .without including the manifold with the missing no return valve that caused the problem. ANY info would help...I'm going to the dealer tomorrow. TY, KennyK
Welcome Aboard!(y)

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

This is more than you need hopefully, but these links cover most of the issues related to the Intake PCV failure:

2011-2016 Cruze 1.4 PCV Valve Cover/Intake Manifold Issues

PVC Intake Manifold Failure letter from Chevrolet
Special Coverage - Camshaft Cover Replacement - (Jul 28, 2020) #N202299080

How-To: Remove 2011-2016 Cruze 1.4L Intake Manifold
How-To: GM 1.4L LUV/LUJ PCV Fix Kit V2 Install
How-To: GM 1.4L LUV/LUJ PCV Fix Kit V1 Install
www.cruzekits.com
V3.4+ GM 1.4L Turbo PCV Fix/Upgrade Kit - CruzeKits.com

Depending on the other symptoms
How-To: Replace the Valve/Camshaft Cover (1.4L Turbo)
How-To: 1.4L Gen 1 front crankshaft seal replacement
How-To: Replace CPASV (Camshaft Position Actuator Solenoid Valve) Seals
How-To: Charge pipe clean - up.
How-To: Change the Oil Cooler Seals

2011-2016 Cruze Limited 1.4L PCV System Explained

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the replies guys. I'm almost ashamed to admit it but.....I CAVED. There was no question that the camshaft cover was under warranty so I kept pressing the issue about whether my EX's 2016 intake manifold was warrantied. The dealer gentleman looked up the VIN number and came back with 4 GM campaings. None of which were for the intake manifold. I had him look up the Campaign number that I saw posted here for a 2014 and he printed in out but unfortunately it just covered 2014 and 2015 models. Dealing with my ex is agonizingly stressful at times She consented to have them fix it for $650 with a 2 year warranty. I told the service guy to save the old manifold so when this goes bad after the 2 years are up I'll put the fix it kit on. Probably a little more sophisticated than what I saw for $75. Could I have done this now? Easily but she wanted a working vehicle quickly and it so happened that while I was playing with this car my daughter ended up going to the hospital 100 miles away where I live in New Castle. Could I have bought a new manifold myself and do the repair, of course, I used to be a professional auto mechanic. SOOOO that is why I said I caved. If it was my car I would have fixed it cheaply. I'm thinking that there might be a GM Campaign for the 2016 model in the future for reimbursement since the letters I saw here were dated from GM in the mid 2021. Time will tell. Ken

· Administrator, Resident Tater Salad
17,807 Posts
GM has very reluctantly and quietly added additional years to the PCV issue TSBs/extended warranties over the years - it started out with just the early ones, and then they quietly addressed only the later years, but under 120,000 or 150,000 miles.

They KNOW it affects more than that (the Trax/Encore/Sonic used this same engine til 2021), but I guess unless they're taken to court for it, or see enough cases of these being replaced, they quietly omit it from the extended warranty coverages.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
TY, jblackburn
Yes I totally agree. Do the Generation 2 cars/engines have the same intake and rocker arm cover issues? This car is 6 years old and only 60K milage. It is the last of the Generation 1 vehicles. I'm not letting this issue go without talking to someone that is higher up at GM. Right now the best I can do is talk to GM customer assistance who then passed me off to their supervisor who is supposed to get back to me within 24 hours. Does anyone on the board have a phone number of someone higher up the importance chain? Thank You, Ken

17,807 Posts
Yes I totally agree. Do the Generation 2 cars/engines have the same intake and rocker arm cover issues?
Nope. They totally redesigned the engine, PCV system, and cooling system, and for the most part, the LE2 motors are holding up pretty well.

2016-17 models did run into cracked piston issues before GM redesigned those and updated the tune to avoid low-speed preignition conditions.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
TY, Just her luck buying a 2016 cruze 6 months too early. So if GM knows they would only have to extend the manifold warranty for another half year for the 2016"s and be done with it I would think that they will eventually consent.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wouldn't you think that this manifold problem would relate to an emission fault if the car at idle is stumbling and shaking? Does anyone know what the emission warranty is on 2016's? TY, Ken

17,807 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

p 21/25. Looks like 2 years unless you're in CA. 8 years for the cat converter and powertrain control modules.
Wow, that's an enormous amount of material there. Thank You, you are a great resource. I spoke to another Chevrolet service manager today. Very sympathetic and knowledgeable about the manifold. Complain to the chevy customer assistance and save all receipts in hopes that enough 2016 Cruze Gen 1 owners have to foot the bill for failed manifolds. I wonder how many 2016 Gen 1 owners are on this board and how many have had manifold issues. Probably not many. Not like thousands of 2014 and 2015 victims that had GM's phones ringing off the hook. I'm done with this for now. Ken

1 - 13 of 13 Posts