Chevrolet Cruze Forums banner

Help please

2137 5
2014 CHEVY CRUZ , ROUGH IDLE , LOSS OF POWER , CHANGED THE SPARK PLUGS RAN FINE FOR ABOUT 100 MILES WITH SLIGHT LOSS OF POWER AND ROUGH IDLE, SAYS MISFIRE CYLINDER 3 ( REPLACED ALL SPARK PLUGS) AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASHES AND SERVICE STABILITY TRACK MESSAGE FLASHING .IT IS A TURBO AND HAS 160,000 MILES . ANYONE WITH A IDEA OF WHAT I SHOULD TRY NEXT PLEASE HELP THANK YOU 馃槑
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
2014 CHEVY CRUZ , ROUGH IDLE , LOSS OF POWER , CHANGED THE SPARK PLUGS RAN FINE FOR ABOUT 100 MILES WITH SLIGHT LOSS OF POWER AND ROUGH IDLE, SAYS MISFIRE CYLINDER 3 ( REPLACED ALL SPARK PLUGS) AND THE CHECK ENGINE LIGHT FLASHES AND SERVICE STABILITY TRACK MESSAGE FLASHING .IT IS A TURBO AND HAS 160,000 MILES . ANYONE WITH A IDEA OF WHAT I SHOULD TRY NEXT PLEASE HELP THANK YOU 馃槑
Also known issue is the coilpack. Mine went out twice within 5000 miles. Take the pack off and look inside cylinder 3's boot on the coilpack where the plug plugs into. They tend to get corroded. I went with the ZZP coilpack and have had no issues so far.

Also, welcome to the forums. 馃枛

Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
Welcome Aboard!(y)

No need to shout.

Don't forget to introduce yourself and your Cruze here.

#16-NA-015: Engine Stall or Stumble - Replace Coil Connector - (Jan 21, 2016)

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10112283-9999.pdf

Pull the ECM connector and look for corrosion. If you have any read this:
Burning up Coil pack
Blown Coil, Misfire problem SOLVED!!!
Coil blow out

or

Pull off the spark plugs boot and inspect the spring. It should have a resistor pellet integrated into. Measure the resistance of the spring from one end, to the end of the resistor pellet(looks like a tiny fuse or capsule usually). You should have somewhere between 800-1200ohms resistance. If you just have a plain spring, or if the resistance is below 800 or so, that's why you're blowing out coils. (Courtesy of Ma v e n)

And lastly:

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/2016/MC-10112283-9999.pdf

Tips to ensure no misfires occur:

Remove the coil pack. If the boots are stuck on, use a small screwdriver or pick with some dielectric grease on it to go around the outside of the boot and then possibly the inside of the boot to help aid in removal.

Remember to (p)re-gap your plugs to .028, (0.24 if tuned)

Set gap with the black portion of this tool.

To increase the gap size bend the ground strap up to the desired height. DO NOT LET THE GAPPING TOOL TOUCH THE IRIDIUM CENTER ELECTRODE OR PORCELAIN.

Measure the gap with feeler gauges.

Throw this away.

Torque to 18 ft-lbs with no anti-seize on the threads of a stock type plug.

Ensure the boots have no rips/tears or holes in them, lightly coat them with dielectric/silicone grease and make sure the resister springs are clean and not caught up in the boots when you install them.

If the plugs look bad, consider these:

-BKR8EIX-2668 (iridium plugs), ~$25, expect ~10-15k regaps on these, ~40-50k overall life.
-BKR7E-4644 (nickel/copper plugs), ~$8, expect 15-25K out of these plugs, with a regap or two required at 5-8k intervals on stock tune.
-FR7BHX-S (Ruthenium HX plugs)

Read Hesitation Gone! for more info on the plugs.

A good replacement coil is the MSD Blaster OEM Replacement Coilpack 8236

How-To: Remove and Replace the Coil Pack and Spark Plugs. (This is a video)

While you are in there, if you have a cheap endoscope, look at the pistons. This can also tell you many things.

Cheap compression tester

Registered
Mine is doing the same thing, but on cyl #4. I replaced the coil pack and spark plugs. The ground electrode was burned away by maybe 1/4". It must have been glowing red-hot and caused the occasional pinging when engine was under load. Now there's 1% compression on cyl #4. I'm afraid the melted piece took out rings or possibly damaged the piston. Did you have this too? Did you get issues resolved?

Administrator
2014 LT program car, Pull Me Over Red, 1.4T Auto
Mine is doing the same thing, but on cyl #4. I replaced the coil pack and spark plugs. The ground electrode was burned away by maybe 1/4". It must have been glowing red-hot and caused the occasional pinging when engine was under load. Now there's 1% compression on cyl #4. I'm afraid the melted piece took out rings or possibly damaged the piston. Did you have this too? Did you get issues resolved?
Didn't this help?
You never replied about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts